Are you out as aromantic?

Thiel

Are you out as aromantic?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm curious about how many of you are out as aromantic.

I'm not out and I'm not planning to be anytime soon unless I find a partner, so I would like to know about everyone else.

For those of you that are thinking about telling someone, I hope it goes well!

• Like 3

i've told a bunch of people.  in an actual coming-out thing like where i bring it up--first my bf at the time, then my parents, then a close friend at school, then my best friend.  all in the beginning, 6 years ago.  other than that, just if it comes up and it's easier to say it than hide it.  so some friends, therapists, a fwb.  

• Like 2

I'm out to most of my friends and some lgbtq+ classmates, they all accept me, as far as I know. For the rest it's only "I'm not really into this romance thing" and they accept it more than me using the term for my orientation. I only got called childish once.

• Like 1

I'm casually out- if someone asked if I was aro, I'd say yes. Most friends know through me talking about it or through my online profiles. I typically mention it in, say, Discord server intros as well.

Other friends may not directly know that I'm aro, but they know I'm a-spec or uninterested in some way. I haven't told my parents outside of saying that I've never been attracted to anyone. I'm not really "out" at school/work but I do have an aro pin on my backpack.

So, I don't really feel the need to come out but the info isn't hard to find.

• Like 1

i'm out to some of my friends. i'm not really the one to formally come out, i just bring it up sometimes if it makes sense in the conversation and i feel comfortable doing so. therefore, other than my friends, some acquaintances are aware too. my mom knows i'm not into romance and stuff, but she probably thinks i'm homo. regarding my dad, he asked me if i'm a lesbian when he saw i cut my hair short and i just told him i'm not, so yeah.

also, i do use a bracelet with the aromantic flag a friend gave me, so... if people know, they know

Edited by sol

Im out to a small number of friends, two people who basically introduced me to aromanticism so I couldn't  really hide that I was considering it, and a friend of there's. Plus I let a former fwb know when we were last chatting because it came up in conversation and it just seemed right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not in the closet but I'm not all out either. The reason is that the question almost never comes up. A person at work might ask me: "do you live with a partner?" but to go from that to describing ones romantic orientation is a pretty big leap. I suppose I could wear aro flags or such but I doubt most people would even know what they symbolize. 

• Like 1

i'm "properly" out (actually stated in words "i am aromantic") to a few of friends, three offline and several online. otherwise, like a few others in this thread, i don't bring it up unless specifically asked, especially if i don't know the person. i've gotten questions like "are you a lesbian" to which i mostly wobble my head and say i'm queer (which i am! lol). 

coming out is a constant thing anyway, in a cisheteronormative world, especially with amatonormativity thrown in. so i don't really consider myself "in the closet" - i'm in the closet about my gender, but not my orientation - a lot of the time i just don't think it's the business of the other person hah. and on a pure personal level i hate how i feel like i'm attention seeking by coming out deliberately - took me aaaages to come out to my friends who i trust 100%, purely because it felt like i was doing a "pay attention to me now! look at me!". which is a personal issue, really.

• Like 2

I'm very open about my aromanticism, I tell anyone and everyone even if that means explaining myself over and over again. I also wear an aro ring and I explain to people what it means every chance I get because I think it's a really cool way to show off my aro pride.

Edited by Pat E Cheese
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

i'm out to all my friends, and generally to anyone who asks (as long as they don't seem like they'd be weird about it). i'm very outwardly queer so i'm pretty visible at school/work. i'm not exactly out to my family (except to my brother) but i feel like at this point they can kinda guess i'm some flavor of queer.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm out as asexual actually, but I don't want to come out as aromantic tbh. My reason for this is because I'm out in some circles as biromantic, and I don't want to confuse people by telling them I'm aro/grey-aro. I also feel like by telling people I'm more or less aromantic that I lose my ability to speak about LGBTQ members of the church and how the church (I'm religious) needs to re-examine how it treats its same sex attracted members

• 2 weeks later...

I’m out as aro to my close friends ‘n all, and my family. My family, as a whole, doesn’t understand the full extent of what it means for me though. My parents seem to “politely ignore” it.

I don’t bother with people at school. The administration actively counteracts any inclusivity attempts, and the environment is generally unaccepting to queer folks.

• 2 months later...

I mean. Two of my closest Friends know and my brother. Is that outet? 

I handle my Aro Orientation very carefully because I am  Sapphic Cupioromantic and I have a maybe irrational fear, that no one will date me if they put me together with 'Aromantic'.  

Yeah I know...don't judge me 

• 3 weeks later...

im out to my friends and sometimes off-handedly mention it to other people sometimes if they ask. im not out to any of my family as even though they are supporting of the LGBTQIA+ community, they dont really have the best information on it sometimes (which leads them to being accidentally homophobic/transphobic/aphobic; they mean well ,they just dont know whats wrong and whats right). im planning on coming out to them soon though so hopefully that goes well

• Like 1

Only partially out online. I'm scared coming out in real life because I worry everyone won't believe me due to being already being in a serious romantic relationship.  

I’m out to my family and friends. When it comes to strangers I don’t go out of my way to tell them, but I won’t lie if asked directly. In some cases I do try to be a little vague. For instance I work a lot with small children and they always want to know if I have a husband and/or children. I always respond with: ‘No I don’t have a husband or children. I live alone with my cat and that is great.’ Which is usually followed by exited exclamations of ‘I have a cat too!’ and ‘do you have pictures?’

• Like 1

I came out as arospec for the first time to two of my closest friends today and it went well! It was very casual, they asked me about whether I had any crushes atm and I seized the opportunity to tell them. They were very supportive :D

But I don't have any plans of coming out to anyone else soon. And I think that's fine. There's no rush or need to come out. Plus, it's none of their business, y'know? Maybe if there's an opportunity were it feels right to come out I will, but rn I'm good like this!