Aromantic Character Headcanons

Peridot is my aro pal. My reasoning is that I greatly related to her when she tried to fuse with Garnet. She wanted to try this thing that weirded her out for science and new experiences but just when she was about to go through with it, panicked and exclaimed "I can't!".

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but Saiki Kusuo from The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Though, it's canon, as the character blatantly states he has zero interest in romance in the first few episodes.

• Like 3

My favorite headcannon is Remus from Sander Sides being alloaro

He's my favorite character, he's definitely not ace and he's supposed to be the opposite of Roman, who's his brother, and Roman encompasses romantic feelings (now that I think about it, I kinda headcannon him as ace alloromantic cause wouldn't that be nifty?)

Anyway, Remus and Elsa from Frozen cause honestly that would be so much better than her being a lesbian in my opinion (and Merida from Brave but I'm pretty sure that's pretty close to cannon so)

On 3/28/2020 at 6:36 PM, horriblegoose said:

Re-watching Gravity Falls and I forgot just how aro Soos is!

• Never dated (until Melody)
  • Never really tried to date
  • Never talks about dating
  • Only tries to date because his grandma asks him to
  • Doesn't know how to flirt (outright admits it)
  • Uncomfortable and scared in situations where he's supposed to be romantic
  • Is more comfortable with a computer game "girlfriend"
  • Completely happy to have a long distance relationship, in fact more comfortable than hanging out in person

The first time I watched GF, I remember how creepy and upsetting I found the computer girlfriend (Giffany) episode. It stood out to me as one that really didn't fit in with other episodes and didn't belong. It felt forced and heteronormative and amatonormative. This time around, watching Soos through a different lens and realizing how aro all his actions come off as, I reacted a lot differently to the episode. It still does ring of heteronormative and amatonormative, but I realize how Soos is just kinda going with the flow and trying to make his grandma happy more than seriously pursuing dating for himself.

Can we headcannon that Soos and Melody are in a QPR?

On 10/12/2018 at 12:24 PM, Tired-Sparo said:

I headcanon Aloy from the video game Horizon Zero Dawn as aro because almost every character in the game flirts with her at some point but she's always like thanks not interested and she has a large group of friends she cares for immensely

AH I loved that game before but now I love it even more!! Thank you, adopting this headcannon

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 4:32 AM, ladyasym said:

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Ouran High School Host Club yet! Really funny, fluffy anime. Even though the premise of the show is all about romance, there's actually a couple of characters that I am 100% headcanoning as Aro (perhaps not coincidentally, they're my favourite characters). 

Haruhi Fujioka (though apparently in the manga she eventually ends up with one of the main characters but I like to think that it's a QPP based primarily on friendship), because she is just genuinely not romantic, and really into the friendships she has with the other characters. Maybe she's even Aro-ace? 

Kyoya Otori - extremely practical, calculating, not romantic (or even romantically inclined, outside of a very technical way), and very possibly Aro-ace. Devoted to friends yet very self-serving, idk - I think he's the coolest, lol. 

Also Death Note - Light Yagami and L, I think are Aro-ace or at least Aro, because neither of them are interested in romance (and Light uses people who are romantically interested in him to further his own ends). I mean, IMHO they're both pretty sociopathic so maybe not the best representation for aromantics? 

Jughead Jones - from the original comics (don't even get me started on how they desecrated his character on Riverdale...) Aro-ace for sure. 

Minerva McGonagall - I can totally see her as Aro, but apparently she has a canon tragic romantic backstory (?), so maybe Aro-spec?

And a few that have already been mentioned... 

Merida - Brave

Rey - Force Awakens

Voldemort - but again, very much full of hate and sociopathic tendencies...

Huruhi be the best gender-queer aro in all of anime yesss

On 4/6/2016 at 7:52 PM, Sindonyx said:

there is some amedot in here so

hey look, it's me, throwing my opinions into the ring that nobody particularly asked for but look I headcanon Peridot from Steven universe as quiromantic, wtfromantic, unable to determine platonic from romantic.

she doesn't seem to be able to tell that amethyst seems to be hitting on her a bit, and doesn't seem to know what to do if she did in fact realize that, and she gets kind of flustered around amethyst, and stuff

THIS IS NOT WELL PUT TOGETHER I GET THAT I TRIED THO IM NOT GOOD AT THIS

Canonically, Lapis and Peridot are in a QPR soooo 

• Like 1

I say : Jean from Sex Education. Ok, I am probably dreaming because Jean knows about aromanticism but doesn't seem to apply for herself (the word "aromanticism in the show is not say, but there is a episode where Jean explain to an ace girl what asexuality is, and when the ace girl says she wants to fall in love, Jean answers "some asexuals fall in love, other don't", whcich proves she knows about aromanticism a bit; and being a sex therapist, maybe she looks for information about that). But still, the way she is with her "boyfriend" is season 2 is really aro to me : she enjoys sex but not that much the romantic part. Like, there is this scene when she wakes up and realizes how all the affairs of her, and then when he continue to invade her space, the way she shouts "You are everywhere!"... Yep, pretty aro allo to me.

Anyway, if not her, I really hope this show will have an aro character someday, or at least acknowledge aromanticism in itself (not as a note in the asexual episode). And if an aro allo, that would be a bonus : I just want to see Othis, the guy who can't picture himself having sex with someone his not in love with, trying to give advice to someone who basically wants the opposite... That would probably made his character grow. After all, they had an allo ace character last season; why not an aro one in season 3?

• Like 4

So, I was just reading The Adventure Time Encyclopedia and Hunson Abadeer called love an abomination and now my new headcannon is that he's aro

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 4:36 PM, horriblegoose said:

Re-watching Gravity Falls and I forgot just how aro Soos is!

• Never dated (until Melody)
  • Never really tried to date
  • Never talks about dating
  • Only tries to date because his grandma asks him to
  • Doesn't know how to flirt (outright admits it)
  • Uncomfortable and scared in situations where he's supposed to be romantic
  • Is more comfortable with a computer game "girlfriend"
  • Completely happy to have a long distance relationship, in fact more comfortable than hanging out in person

The first time I watched GF, I remember how creepy and upsetting I found the computer girlfriend (Giffany) episode. It stood out to me as one that really didn't fit in with other episodes and didn't belong. It felt forced and heteronormative and amatonormative. This time around, watching Soos through a different lens and realizing how aro all his actions come off as, I reacted a lot differently to the episode. It still does ring of heteronormative and amatonormative, but I realize how Soos is just kinda going with the flow and trying to make his grandma happy more than seriously pursuing dating for himself.

Well, I was intrigued by this Soos character to the point where I watched the episode where he went out with the real girl. Even though he and the real girl may be compatible, if I were in Soos' shoes, I'd tell his grandmother, "I don't want to date whether you like it or not!". Well, maybe I wouldn't be that aggressive about it, but I'm sure you get the point.

I'm starting to think Kara Danvers is grayromantic/quoiromantic and bisexual.

-i don't think she ever dated until James and it never seemed to be a priority

-with the exception of (abusive and manipulative) Mon-El, all of her relationships and interactions with people she's been shipped with seem to blur the line between romance and best friends to me

-routinely sees her friends as a priority over dating

-seems happier when just hanging out with her friends and family than she has in a romantic relationship

Edited by Finn

• 3 weeks later...

Kate Bishop! She never shows any romantic feelings in her comics  (at least the ones I've read) she has four best friends who basically live with her and it's  played like a qpr 

Hiccup from the how to train your dragon books comes off as aroace to me. Also fishlegs. (I've aways headcanoned that after the books they are in a qpr with Camicazi)

Elliot from leverage. I firmly believe that he is in a qpr ot3 with Parker and Hardison (as a creator confirmed)  but that he is aro and parker is ace.

I headcanon that Mario and Peach are in a qpr bc them dating never appealed to me and in Mario Odyssey Peach aside from not being interested in Bowser, she wasn’t interested in Mario. So I headcanon Peach as aroace or even being lesbian is neat. Also I just like imagining them giving each other emotional support and just hanging out together. I don’t really have sexuality headcanons for Mario but him being biromantic ace seems appealing to me. 

I am not sure if anyone has stated this

but Elsa I headcannon as aroace!

She's an aroace queen! (especially with Frozen 2)

Also, Luffy (from One Piece) is definitely aroace (those words are not used but he is shown to not be interested in any gender romantically/sexually)

I can't believe I almost forgot Poppy (from Trolls) she is aroace 100%

(I headcannon it anyways) I view Branch as ace and gray-aro or maybe demi-aro. I see his and Poppy's relationship as a QPR

Edited by Cgirl294
I forgot to add a character I meant to mention

On 5/11/2020 at 4:15 PM, Flurkin said:

I headcanon Gobber from How to Train Your Dragon as aroace, even though everyone thinks he's gay or bi from that one line in the second film.

(They also think he's gay because of the offscreen the director statement confirming it, but I think this is just yet another example of how queer coding isn't black and white and queer people ofc relate their own experiences on the few meager character scraps we get.) Aroace Gobber sounds just as wonderful to me as gay Gobber or bi Gobber!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching Dr.Stone, it’s a fun shounen anime about science, and the main character, Senku, is soooo aroace, his true love can only be science! And I like that he doesn’t always act cold or logic-driven, he likes a good challenge and cares about his friends a lot, and there are some moments, that show that

• 2 weeks later...

saiki.k from the disastrous life of saiki.k is definitely aro/ace. he shows and states that he has no interest in romance. He also says he isn't attracted to people sexually because he is a psychic with x-ray vision and people's muscular and bone structure aren't very attractive. the disastrous life of saiki.k is a great anime.

My first aro HC (though I wasn't super aware of it at the time) was Merlin from Kingsman! I shipped Hartwin really badly and loved having Merlin as their best friend who was also aro. He was the shoulder to cry on, and the comforting mattress with no springs attached (ayyyyyy geddit). Aro Merlin will always have a place in my heart.

merlinpic.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Diana from Anne with an E may be somewhere on the aro spectrum. Maybe that's just because I would enjoy a character from this show to be so. But she doesn't seem very interested in romance for herself, in particularly compared to the other girls who all want to date. She only noticed and showed interest in Jerry after Jerry offered to walk her home (which was considered romantic if I understood; she was suprised to find him ready to walk with her). And as the actress who played her said herself, Diana may have kissed him, but she wasn't in love with him : she only dated him because he is from a different world and be with him gave her an illusion of freedom : she escaped her house and all its rules. But when she realized how different they are, she didn't enjoy his company anymore because they have nothing to talk about. And when she compares her experience to other girls, it was clear for her she didn't love him.

So she may noot be aro, but if it was revealed she was on the spectrum, I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, she and Anne can be seen as QPPs, totally.

• Like 2