Aromantic Character Headcanons

Speedwagon from JoJo kind of struck me as aromantic.  He dies a bachelor at 89 after Battle Tendency and, despite his being a father figure to Joseph, there is no indication of any feelings between him and Erina.  And while this might be out of respect for Jonathan's memory, Speedwagon is unable to prevent himself from narrating fights that are happening right in front of him, there is no way he would be able to keep any affections a secret for decades.

• Like 1

I view Sherlock from Elementary as aromatic heterosexual.

He does state he was in love with Irene but I think it was just a general fascination and intellectual connection.

I haven't watched past season two though because I got the feeling the series was not going places I'd enjoy.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2016 at 2:54 AM, Jade said:

On the other hand: aromantic sexual Mary Malone! It's shown that the hatred her Church has for love applies mostly to sexual love, so the Marzipan chapter fits better when you see it in this light: it's not a sudden "falling in love", considering that she is happily single and not interested in dating in all of HDM, especially not with how the Church sees romantic love as more-or-less "innocent" in comparison to sex, especially in relation to her life as a nun: it's a sudden realization that she did want sex (despite living happily single, there is still something she wants that she can't get as a nun, and it's not god: it's sex, and it's also particle physics. mary malone is my favorite). Allo aro mary malone is the best.

Ooh, nice one! I really need to read HDM again (I read it years ago, right after it came out actually, and I thought it was the BEST.BOOK.EVER :D)

I really liked the character of Mary too. Ended up studying particle physics as well, hah. I think it will be interesting to read her again in light of my recent aro discoveries. 

@Jade, have you read Carl Sagan's novel Contact? Again, this is coming from vague memories of something I read a long time ago, but I seem to recall Ellie Arroway as being a similar character to Mary Malone. Possible that she's aro too, but I really can't remember the book that well (she has a relationship with Palmer Joss, not sure if it was 'romantic' though. she seemed more interested in science than boys, lol). But I recall that there is a lot of stuff about science and religion in there too (much more so that the movie; the book was a lot more interesting). So you might like it :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NullVector said:

Ooh, nice one! I really need to read HDM again (I read it years ago, right after it came out actually, and I thought it was the BEST.BOOK.EVER :D)

I really liked the character of Mary too. Ended up studying particle physics as well, hah. I think it will be interesting to read her again in light of my recent aro discoveries. 

@Jade, have you read Carl Sagan's novel Contact? Again, this is coming from vague memories of something I read a long time ago, but I seem to recall Ellie Arroway as being a similar character to Mary Malone. Possible that she's aro too, but I really can't remember the book that well (she has a relationship with Palmer Joss, not sure if it was 'romantic' though. she seemed more interested in science than boys, lol). But I recall that there is a lot of stuff about science and religion in there too (much more so that the movie; the book was a lot more interesting). So you might like it :) 

My username came from this book, because it's the only thing I've ever read to have had such an impact on me for me to feel justified in classifying it as my favorite book, so I'll just kind of jump in here :D

I'd disagree with Ellie being aro (despite the magnificent pun potential...Aroway, get it? xD), because in the book there was also the relationship she had with Ken der Heer, which seemed as though it might have been veering slightly more into romantic territory--though I, too, haven't reread it in quite a while because I'm busy trying to become Ellie myself, so I could be wrong. I haven't reread it since I realized I'm aroace, so I'll probably do so over winter break and see if that changes my reading of her. 

Also, seconded on the book being exponentially better than the movie--the movie literally wrote out half of the characters, including my favorite side character, and half the plot points. It also completely misses out on Carl Sagan's writing style, which is one of the best things in existence, just saying. 

On 4/15/2016 at 8:54 PM, Jade said:

My personal headcanon: all the prospit kids in homestuck are on the aro/ace spectrum. on the flipside, all of the derse kids are gay/bi/pan.

(specific headcanons: aro ace John, who figures out pretty quickly that he doesn't want a relationship. demi ace Jane, who wants a relationship but only rarely gets crushes, and only on friends, and who doesn't understand sexual attraction. romance-repulsed but bisexual Jake, who is attracted to Aranea and Dirk but never has a crush and hates being in a relationship. aro ace Jade, who is very affectionate and romance/sex-neutral but mostly just wants cuddles and a qpp/moirail. dave is pan; roxy is bi; rose and dirk are both gay)

Troll aromantic headcanons:

well this is a bit more complicated, because of the whole quadrants system; for the sake of simplicity, I'm going to define aromanticism as "does not want either kismesis or matespriteship"; if you include kismesis as compatible with aromanticism, this whole thing changes.

So here are my headcanons:

equius and aradia are aromantic

nepeta and tavros are on the spectrum (experience matespriteship but not kismesis) but not aro

terezi is also on the spectrum (experiences kismesis but not matespriteship) but not aro

Oh crap, I just re-found this post after having read the entirety of Homestuck this summer. 

I could totally see aroace John and Jade, and gay Rose, gay Dirk, and pan Dave are literally canon. 

Not entirely sure if Jane would be ace, but definitely demi, and I 100% agree with romance-repulsed bi aro Jake. Roxy is an interesting case--I could see her as demi/very dark gray in both respects, but definitely bi. 

Not fully convinced of Equius as aro, because he was trying for a matespritship with Aradia early on IIRC. Also, wasn't Terezi vacillating between quadrants with Karkat for a while? On the other hand, adding to the list of trolls on the spectrum, I don't recall Sollux, Kanaya, or Feferi being kismeses with anyone, or Gamzee having a matesprit.

57 minutes ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

My username came from this book

You'll have to explain that some more, cos I really can't remember the book! I must have only been about 15 when I read it, which is half a lifetime ago now xD

Were dodecahedrons a thing in the book? 314 refers to Pi, I'm assuming?

I should totally read it again though. And then we can have an actual discussion, instead of this, ha :)  I was so into Carl Sagan back in high school; a big part of why I got into science. I loved his sense of wonder at what humans could become. Although I find that harder to believe in now than I used to...

Oh, why the hell not :D

• Like 3

@NullVectoryes, the Machine is dodecahedral--and if you read  Cosmos carefully,  you'll notice he played with the idea back then as well. (That section in general is why dodecahedra are kind of my thing,  because I very much enjoy the idea of Pythagoras freaking out at the very existence of a polyhedron. xD) And yes, 314 is because pi. 

I've also been a huge Carl Sagan fan since high school, that was just a little more recent for me. I suppose maybe that made my becoming an astronomer somewhat inevitable, then--I mean, he's  practically a patron saint of the field. xD 

Contact is a great book. I read it not too long ago.

On 2016-12-03 at 11:27 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

I'd disagree with Ellie being aro (despite the magnificent pun potential...Aroway, get it? xD), because in the book there was also the relationship she had with Ken der Heer, which seemed as though it might have been veering slightly more into romantic territory--though I, too, haven't reread it in quite a while because I'm busy trying to become Ellie myself, so I could be wrong. I haven't reread it since I realized I'm aroace, so I'll probably do so over winter break and see if that changes my reading of her. 

Also, seconded on the book being exponentially better than the movie--the movie literally wrote out half of the characters, including my favorite side character, and half the plot points. It also completely misses out on Carl Sagan's writing style, which is one of the best things in existence, just saying.

I didn't read Ellie as aro. She seemed to have a desire for a romantic relationship but had trouble finding a guy that would respect her. She being very much in love with some musician at one time during her college and they were in a relationship but he left her.

On 12/3/2016 at 5:27 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

Oh crap, I just re-found this post after having read the entirety of Homestuck this summer. 

I could totally see aroace John and Jade, and gay Rose, gay Dirk, and pan Dave are literally canon. 

Not entirely sure if Jane would be ace, but definitely demi, and I 100% agree with romance-repulsed bi aro Jake. Roxy is an interesting case--I could see her as demi/very dark gray in both respects, but definitely bi. 

Not fully convinced of Equius as aro, because he was trying for a matespritship with Aradia early on IIRC. Also, wasn't Terezi vacillating between quadrants with Karkat for a while? On the other hand, adding to the list of trolls on the spectrum, I don't recall Sollux, Kanaya, or Feferi being kismeses with anyone, or Gamzee having a matesprit.

Ok I'm officially sold on dark gray bi Roxy. :P

Forgot about Equius's flush crush, too. Dang. It was a bit of a plot point, too, I think? I haven't read act 5 in foreverxD I'm still holding onto my Terezi headcanon though. Also, those are A++ headcanons and I fully approve of all the arospec trolls.

On 12/3/2016 at 3:10 PM, NullVector said:

I haven't! I'll make a point of getting it, though; it definitely sounds good. ^_^ 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd add Vriska to the list of trolls on the aro spectrum; her fixation with Tavros always read to me more as her attempts to emulate Mindfang and the Summoner than actual attraction to him, and I think Karkat even taunted her at one point about her not being able to truly hate-romance like normal trolls. In the new timeline she even says she's not interested in having any more relationships than her moirallegiance with Terezi.

I personally read her as demi in general; that'd explain the above, as well as her doomed-version's relationship with doomed!John (they'd already bonded a great deal beforehand), and as quoiromantic with regards to red and black romance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Confidential_Con said:

I'd add Vriska to the list of trolls on the aro spectrum; her fixation with Tavros always read to me more as her attempts to emulate Mindfang and the Summoner than actual attraction to him, and I think Karkat even taunted her at one point about her not being able to truly hate-romance like normal trolls. In the new timeline she even says she's not interested in having any more relationships than her moirallegiance with Terezi.

I personally read her as demi in general; that'd explain the above, as well as her doomed-version's relationship with doomed!John (they'd already bonded a great deal beforehand), and as quoiromantic with regards to red and black romance.

Hmm, that's a very good point. There was also other-doomed!Vriska and Meenah, but that still doesn't discount her being demi, considering how long they spent wandering around all the doomed worlds together before that happened. (And I think at one point it's very briefly implied that non-doomed!Vriska also has something of a flush crush on Meenah? When Meenah is giving her speech to the ghost army? But I can't remember how the timing works with respect to her saying she's not interested in anything outside of her moirallegiance with Terezi--I think the timelines might have gotten switched around or something between those two incidents, but I can't remember for sure. Dangit, I might have to reread the bit leading up to Collide and rewatch Act 7 to refresh my memory on what exactly happened there.) tl;dr: Demi/quoiro Vriska headcanon accepted. 

• 4 months later...

This thread might be kind of dead, but I'm gonna agree with aro dean winchester and a lot of the others.

I'm adding Lt. Colonel John Sheppard from Stargate Atlantis as AroAce.  He never really shows any interest in pursuing anyone for the entire show and the few times he does end up in a situation where someone is flirting with him, he always seems really uncomfortable.  His focus in the show is always on his teammates (found family!) and protecting the members of the expedition.

A relationship, sexual or romantic, is never the focus of his character.  Loved it!!!   (Also, the show itself is fun if you're into cheesy sci-fi and team-as-family shows.)

On 22/04/2017 at 8:40 AM, starstuff said:

This thread might be kind of dead, but I'm gonna agree with aro dean winchester and a lot of the others.

I'm adding Lt. Colonel John Sheppard from Stargate Atlantis as AroAce.  He never really shows any interest in pursuing anyone for the entire show and the few times he does end up in a situation where someone is flirting with him, he always seems really uncomfortable.  His focus in the show is always on his teammates (found family!) and protecting the members of the expedition.

A relationship, sexual or romantic, is never the focus of his character.  Loved it!!!   (Also, the show itself is fun if you're into cheesy sci-fi and team-as-family shows.)

I'm not so sure about that. There was that Ancient lady he had a bit of a romantic evening with, as well as having been married.

On 4/23/2017 at 3:24 AM, Tal Shi'ar said:

I'm not so sure about that. There was that Ancient lady he had a bit of a romantic evening with, as well as having been married.

Its been quite a while since i actually watched SGA, so I'm going off memory here, but from what I remember his marriage ended before the show even began and he never showed any inclination of looking for a new partner.  Plus, every time he ended up in a situation concerning romance or sex he was never the one to instigate it (unless possessed/not in control of his own actions).  Even the instance where he got stuck in that bubble world and ended up in a sort-of relationship he was awkward and had no idea that the lady was flirting with him to begin with and then he ended up leaving immediately after with his team and it was never really brought up again.  Maybe call him gray-romantic, then, if you like.

Personally I think that he's a case of an aro-spec asexual who's never heard of either orientation and tried to meet societal expectations (and prove himself to his father)by marrying a beautiful, successful  woman.  It ended up in a divorce as they drifted apart and then, when he found himself in a new galaxy surrounded people who understood and didn't push him for things he didn't want (except Rodney sometimes, but...well, he's Rodney...), he was able to relax and just be who he wanted to be with the platonic family he's comfortable with.

Maybe I'm projecting myself onto him a bit, but I really love that (SPOILERS) he ends the show happily with his friends/family and that the show doesn't force a romantic interest to achieve that happiness, or force some convoluted love triangle or sexual tension into his storyline.  He's a perfectly well-rounded character over five seasons without having to rely on any of that.  

On 4/12/2016 at 10:49 AM, Cassiopeia said:

Go on:D

I'll start:

I watched DS9 years ago, but I think Odo is canonly ace? But I guess he is kinda arospec as well? Like grey or something?

Odo is definitely ace. That sex scene between him and the female shapeshifter was so incredibly ace for both of them.

I don't see him as aro though - he definitely seems romantically attracted to Kira. He could be demiromantic, though, since he knew & was friends with Kira for years before feeling anything romantic for her, and doesn't seem to have ever felt romantic attraction for anyone else, either.

Faith from Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel strikes me as heterosexual aromantic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been reading the Throne of Glass novel series? I bet my heat the main charachter (Celanea Sardothien - Aelin Galathynius by her real name) is demiromantic and demisexual. The two attractions always lined up for her, but she was friends first with the guy in every single case. Furthermore, somewhere in the third volume there's this sequence where it is described that the thought of sleeping with any man other than the one she desired at the time repulsed her. 

All of my ideas of aromantic characters are also asexuals in my mind as well. >.< It's like they always go hand in hand when thinking of characters even though I know they really don't. Like Hannibal, Will, Dexter, Sasuke, Sheldon, Light, L, Near.

The only ones that I can think of that aren't asexual in my mind is Dean Winchester and Jessica Jones. They don't seem like the romantic types, but they do have lots of sex. Maybe Katniss Everdeen. People view her as asexual too, but idk I'm leaning towards aro only. I also kinda see Matt from Death note as aro. I don't have anything to go by tho, just a headcanon. 

Also, I haven't seen enough of Friends to really have an opinion, but I've always considered Joey to be aro. Maybe not tho cuz didn't he like Rachel? O.o

Anyone mention Monkey D Luffy? The author has explicitly said that his true and only love is adventure. And his nakama are very QP, to my eyes.

• Like 6

On 2017-05-06 at 6:07 AM, IceHurricane said:

Also, I haven't seen enough of Friends to really have an opinion, but I've always considered Joey to be aro. Maybe not tho cuz didn't he like Rachel? O.o

I think he had like two crushes on the whole show but no relationship resulted from them. So we could kinda fanwank it into that he was confused about strong emotional or sexual feelings.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I think he had like two crushes on the whole show but no relationship resulted from them. So we could kinda fanwank it into that he was confused about strong emotional or sexual feelings.

Yes, I like this idea. :evilgrin:

On 04/04/2016 at 2:03 PM, piplup said:

i used to watch spn & i never thought dean as aro O.o but now that i think about it its kind of cool since dean was my 2nd fav character (castiel was my 1st)

I always related to Dean, so this makes sense to me :D

On 06/04/2016 at 4:15 PM, breaddd said:

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but aro ace Luna Lovegood is my life

I vote this one

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I like to headcanon Anna from Frozen as aromantic (Elsa is an asexual lesbian), though I might just be projecting. But ok hear me out, it's been a while since I saw the movie. She has an idealized view of romance, like most Disney princesses. But when it comes down to it, she actually doesn't know the difference between romantic love and platonic love. She's desperate for attention after being isolated for most of her life and probably just wants someone to chill with, especially after being rejected by sister yet again. Rewatching her duet with Hans (Love is An Open Door), nothing about this song actually feels romantic (actually feels very platonic). It's upbeat and matches Anna's excitement about finding someone who will spend time with her, but it's not a "finding the love of your life Disney ballad". She comes across as immature and naive about love (insisting to Kristoff that's it's true love), though part of that probably does come from the fact that's she's a sheltered 18 year old. This is most evident in the scene where Olaf helps save Anna from freezing to death. She even admits "I don't even know what love is" and then immediately goes on to concludes that Kristoff must love her (a guy she's known for one day vs. like 2.5 days). I think the only time where she really is certain about loving someone is when she says "I love you" to Elsa. Plus, all of her interactions with Kristoff (the surprise love interest) come across as more platonic than anything and they feel forced as a couple, especially after the movie goes on about how love at first sight isn't real and that you should get to know the other person more. Anyways, that's my longwinded crackpot about aromantic Anna

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/11/2017 at 9:05 AM, Holmbo said:

Honestly, because of those very rare times he had romantic feelings, I want to say Joey was grey-aro or maybe even demi romantic

• Like 1