Aromantic Character Headcanons

I headcanon Nicky from "Avenue Q" as on the aro-spec. We never see him or hear of him being in a romantic relationship, having previously been in a romantic relationship, or wanting a romantic relationship. He seems very happy living with Rod, a person for whom he has platonic, not romantic feelings. When thinking of something to make Rod extremely happy, he thinks of getting Rod a boyfriend within seconds, so that kind of indicates gray-aro to me, or maybe he is totally aro but realizes how important romance is to most alloromantics. He also mentions picking up on someone "coming on" to him, but maybe he meant that in a sexual way, not a romantic way. Perhaps he's lith? He picked up on it; he just wasn't interested in reciprocating. I think he is ace as well; just as he appears to have no involvement in romance, he has no involvement with sex. I suppose there is a good chance he is heterosexual, because he slips up and makes the implied generalization that all men who are sexually attracted to men are gay. He feels comfortable using the term "queer," and many non-queer people aren't comfortable using it because it is a reclaimed slur.

I head-canon Princess Bubblegum and Marceline from "Adventure Time" as gray-aromantics. Princess Bubblegum is only seen in one romantic relationship, and literal centuries have passed between that relationship and the "present" in the show. She shows no interest in finding a romantic partner and she is irritated with having suitors, some of whom have waited literal centuries and/or generations. She doesn't seem to understand romantic attraction very well. In one episode, Finn, a straight teenage male who used to have a crush, accidentally turned her body and clothes to look very young tomboyish when he had magic eyes that made people turn into whatever he "saw" them as in his head, she thought she was turned into "a teen boy heartthrob," even though most people agree that wasn't it. 

Marceline has only been cannonly seen in one romantic relationship in the course of her roughly thousand year life. When Simon asked her if she had a boyfriend yet, she looked uncomfortable and replied, no, but there was this one guy, presumably referring to Ash, the aforementioned romantic partner.

Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory" is definitely on the aromantic spectrum. He only went on one date year before he met Amy, and that was because his mom forced him to go on these annual dates. His relationship with Amy does not seem to match most people's romantic relationships in regards to its nature. Sheldon is even more definitely ace than he is on the aro-spec. He experiences no sexual attraction and he thinks it is odd that other people do, and he even thinks sex is icky. His friends tease him for his lack of sexual attraction sometimes.

• Like 3

I forgot Meredith from "Brave" in my first post. She could easily be headcanoned aro because she has no interest in getting married, but I prefer to think that she is straight and doesn't want to lose her independence to marriage, given her sex and the time period.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2016 at 8:18 AM, shotinthehand said:

I forgot Meredith from "Brave" in my first post. She could easily be headcanoned aro because she has no interest in getting married, but I prefer to think that she is straight and doesn't want to lose her independence to marriage, given her sex and the time period.

You mean Merida?

Karma from Faking It is quoiromantic and bisexual. The only character she ever canonically shows interest in is Liam, but she's also definitely attracted to Amy. Dating for her is more about sex than anything and she doesn't really understand romance but she knows she's fallen in love - she just doesn't know or care to define if it's platonic or romantic.

Liam only (allegedly) has romantic feelings for Karma throughout the show (what I've seen of it anyway) and prioritizes his relationship with Shane over anything else. He mostly goes after one night stands and FWB relationships because he doesn't want to hurt girls, he knows he doesn't fall in love the same way most of them do and he's also romance-repulsed. He's cishet and arospec but not entirely sure where he is on the spectrum so he doesn't pick a more precise label. His relationship with Karma is quasiplatonic and sexual, they choose to use the labels of boyfriend and girlfriend out of convenience.

Mabel from Gravity Falls is an aroace and nonbinary. She only wants relationships with boys in order to feel more "normal" and because she feels like she has to have them. She knows Dipper is a bisexual trans boy and he helped her figure out her feelings on gender.

Wendy is grayromantic, bi/pansexual, and gender nonconforming/butch trans girl. She doesn't really care about gender in her partners, only has romantic feelings for Robbie, and loses interest in relationships pretty quickly because she's just not feeling it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, morallygayro said:

Mabel from Gravity Falls is an aroace and nonbinary. She only wants relationships with boys in order to feel more "normal" and because she feels like she has to have them. She knows Dipper is a bisexual trans boy and he helped her figure out her feelings on gender.

I always felt that Mabel's crushes were genuine. She obsesses over them and performs ridiculous feats to try to win them over, beyond what is needed to convince people that she is straight. In her fantasy land, her dream-boys are there. I think if Mabel is non-binary, she doesn't mind going by feminine pronouns and showing feminine gender expression, because I think if she felt unhappy about it we would have seen that unhappiness somewhere. I understand where your headcanon for Dipper being a trans-boy comes from; he is very sensitive about his masculinity and goes to great lengths to prove that he is masculine. In that one episode where Mabel and Dipper swap bodies, I was wondering why they didn't immediately realize they were in bodies of the opposite sex...if they are both of the same sex then that is squared away.

53 minutes ago, morallygayro said:

Wendy is grayromantic, bi/pansexual, and gender nonconforming/butch trans girl. She doesn't really care about gender in her partners, only has romantic feelings for Robbie, and loses interest in relationships pretty quickly because she's just not feeling it.

Wendy has had lots of male romantic partners in the past, but we never hear her mention any non-masculine names when it comes to romantic partners. I can see her being grayromantic; she doesn't seem to care deeply about her past romantic relationships and she forgot to break up with one of her romantic partners for weeks. I always thought Wendy was cis-gender but didn't care about showing feminine gender expression.

I respect your headcanons though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2016 at 2:09 PM, shotinthehand said:

I always felt that Mabel's crushes were genuine. She obsesses over them and performs ridiculous feats to try to win them over, beyond what is needed to convince people that she is straight. I respect your headcanons though!

No fam, I think she's trying to convince herself she's straight, out if self-hatred and compulsory heterosexuality. Because I did the same thing at her age. Also I once read a fic with agender Mabel and loved it, that's where I get it from.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2016 at 6:56 PM, morallygayro said:

No fam, I think she's trying to convince herself she's straight, out if self-hatred and compulsory heterosexuality. Because I did the same thing at her age. Also I once read a fic with agender Mabel and loved it, that's where I get it from.

Oh, do you want to post the fic?

On 2016. 04. 08. at 4:28 AM, Cassiopeia said:

Also Shane from the L word. She might not be full-on aro, but I think we can say she is on the spectrum.

She was definitely aro-coded.

Anyway, not exactly a positive role model, I can thank this show for half of my aro identity related insecurities.

I have just started to rewatch it. There is no way she is not on the aro spectrum....

tumblr_logczud9Hx1qkum31o1_500.png

tumblr_o0uqyhh3zo1qewj96o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0uqyhh3zo1qewj96o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0uqyhh3zo1qewj96o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o0uqyhh3zo1qewj96o5_1280.jpg

enhanced-buzz-29198-1388157988-7.jpg

large.gif

tumblr_n4w3srI0zq1sta4vbo1_500.gif

tumblr_mx2z6lXlIL1sybaxio1_500.gif

tumblr_o0t7nujwqj1udkzefo1_1280.jpg

a3ca4b1e2b3e4d016a39bb3395182ff5.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, iridescent-apatosaurus said:

Some of these might have been already said, but I don't care.

Ling Yao from fmab, Luna Lovegood, Katniss Everdeen, Yukine from Noragami, Legolas, Rey.

Also Cinderella is frayromantic and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Why do you headcanon Luna as aromantic? 

Didn't Katniss experience romantic attraction towards Peeta and Gale?

There isn't a part of the story that would directly clash with Cinderella being frayromantic.

Just now, shotinthehand said:

Why do you headcanon Luna as aromantic? 

Didn't Katniss experience romantic attraction towards Peeta and Gale?

There isn't a part of the story that would directly clash with Cinderella being frayromantic.

Luna always seemed to me to not be interested in anything romance-wise at the same point the other characters did.  I dunno why I headcanon her as aro, I kinda just always have.

I've been known to be bad at reading romance cues, but I honestly never thought there was anything between her and either of them.  Peeta was pretty much forced because of the Games, and honestly I never read Katniss and Gale as anything more than close childhood friends. 

• Like 2

I also feel like Katniss could be aro ace. The way she suffers through the "starstruck lovers" plot line feels like such a common aromantic experience, also the way she constantly gave into societal pressure (granted, it was for her survival). I know in the books she described having to act out a romantic plot and that is so incredibly relatable to my romantic experience.  Though I feel like she did have feelings for Gale for a little while. Maybe she's demiromantic? She's definitely on the spectrum though.

Luna Lovegood is 150% aro ace and no one can convince me otherwise. Merida is the best aromantic icon ever.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Katniss from Hunger games books feels very aro ace to me. It's been a while since I read the books, but I remember when she and Peeta was in that cave in the first book, Peeta did a gesture she had seen her parents do (a little romantic touch or something), and not understanding how he knew how to do that since she felt his parents would not be likely to show each other affection like that. She also thought he did everything as an act as well, not understanding that he loved her. And her relationships with Peeta and Gale seemed more like maybe QPR or squishes for me.

I would also be bold enough to suggest Barney from How I Met Your Mother in the aro specter. 

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

This thread is kind of dead but I thought of a new character who is totally probably aro.

I'm probably the only person who plays Ace Attorney (because I'm a giant nerd lol) but the character Miles Edgeworth is literally shown to have zero interest in romance on multiple occasions and also is completely clueless when people are interested in him. It's kind of hilarious. This is even more apparent in his own spin off game cause there are a bunch of characters that obviously are crushing on him and he has no idea what's happening :rofl:

• Like 2

I have a new headcanon. Tanaka from Tanaka-kun is Always Listless is definitely aromantic. Some quotes

Ohta about Tanaka: Hmm, I remember him saying love was bothersome.

Ohta about another character: You want to instill in Tanaka the passion for romance that he lacks!

Ohta: So you don't think about getting a girlfriend or anything like that?

Tanaka: Well, of course, the inappropriate curiosity all boys have is present in me, but not enough that it's worth the effort to act upon it. In other words, I'm interested in the erotic, but the process to get there is too much work.

I don't think it can get much more aro than that, even if it is out of sheer laziness ? I haven't even finished the show yet, those are just my favourite quotes so far

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Untamed Heart said:

Edgeworth from the Ace Attorney games - he never talks about women in romantic terms, is very absorbed in his work as a prosecutor and can get annoyed at the advances of another female character (Wendy Oldbag). 

Look up. I literally posted the same thing two posts ago xD