Aromantic Character Headcanons

30 minutes ago, 46odnetnin said:

Speaking of undertale, Papyrus is totally aromantic, he basically says it in the game.

It makes sense-- he's totally clueless about romance and tells you that he wants to just be friends. Maybe Napstablook is aromantic, too?

• Like 4

I feel like Napstablook is depressed more than aro. Napstablook struggles with making connections with others in general, like there was that one scene where he tries adding you as a friend, but then rejects his own friend request.

• Like 4

Speaking of Disney/Pixar movies, I always see Merida from Brave as aro. The whole conflict is her not wanting to get married. 

Granted, you can say it's just because she's too young and not interested in any of the potential suitors etc. but I choose to see her as fundamentally uninterested in romance. 

• Like 16

My personal headcanon: all the prospit kids in homestuck are on the aro/ace spectrum. on the flipside, all of the derse kids are gay/bi/pan.

(specific headcanons: aro ace John, who figures out pretty quickly that he doesn't want a relationship. demi ace Jane, who wants a relationship but only rarely gets crushes, and only on friends, and who doesn't understand sexual attraction. romance-repulsed but bisexual Jake, who is attracted to Aranea and Dirk but never has a crush and hates being in a relationship. aro ace Jade, who is very affectionate and romance/sex-neutral but mostly just wants cuddles and a qpp/moirail. dave is pan; roxy is bi; rose and dirk are both gay)

Troll aromantic headcanons:

well this is a bit more complicated, because of the whole quadrants system; for the sake of simplicity, I'm going to define aromanticism as "does not want either kismesis or matespriteship"; if you include kismesis as compatible with aromanticism, this whole thing changes.

So here are my headcanons:

equius and aradia are aromantic

nepeta and tavros are on the spectrum (experience matespriteship but not kismesis) but not aro

terezi is also on the spectrum (experiences kismesis but not matespriteship) but not aro

Going to throw in my agreement on:

allo aro Dean and aro ace Castiel, although I don't watch supernatural anymore

aro ace Luna Lovegood

aro ace Rey

aro Katniss

aro everyone in undertale other than Asgore, Toriel, Alphys, and Undyne. (yes, all of them. #all your faves are aro) especially frisk though! (and papyrus and asriel and napstablook and mettaton and gaster and chara and ok yes basically just "literally all of them")

And, because I can't resist, because HDM is the best thing ever, my opinion on aro!Mrs Coulter: I disagree with it, personally. I definitely see her as having some kind of romantic love for Asriel (even if she doesn't necessarily like him, I always read their death scene in TAS to be heavily romantic). On the other hand: aromantic sexual Mary Malone! It's shown that the hatred her Church has for love applies mostly to sexual love, so the Marzipan chapter fits better when you see it in this light: it's not a sudden "falling in love", considering that she is happily single and not interested in dating in all of HDM, especially not with how the Church sees romantic love as more-or-less "innocent" in comparison to sex, especially in relation to her life as a nun: it's a sudden realization that she did want sex (despite living happily single, there is still something she wants that she can't get as a nun, and it's not god: it's sex, and it's also particle physics. mary malone is my favorite). Allo aro mary malone is the best.

• Like 4

I was going to add mine...and then I just wound up serial-smashing the like button on every single post in this thread I agreed with (in no particular order: Katniss, Kaylee, Rey (if they try to make her and Finn a thing, I swear I will riot), Annie (I'm incredibly happy to find out other people here read Gunnerkrigg Court!), Natasha Romanoff, Light and L, etc.). I'd also like to throw in basically the entire cast of Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet (and in addition, Elijah and Meredith are in the most QP of relationships and no one can tell me otherwise), as well as Janice and Maureen from Welcome to Night Vale (I also strongly headcanon Carlos as demiromantic demisexual) and Dr. Hilbert and Captain Lovelace from Wolf 359.

• Like 6

I am convinced that Murphy from The 100 was meant to be asexual. I get that he isn't, but he seemed like on of those characters that was pushed into heteronormalcy to make him more relatable to most people.

20 hours ago, Tris said:

I am convinced that Murphy from The 100 was meant to be asexual. I get that he isn't, but he seemed like on of those characters that was pushed into heteronormalcy to make him more relatable to most people.

I feel like The 100 did this to a lot of characters...

18 hours ago, Tris said:

They really did. Which ones did you have in mind?

I was thinking of someone like Bellamy. He didn't seem to have an interest in dating until they brought up his girlfriend who was killed and barely mentioned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spud said:

I was thinking of someone like Bellamy. He didn't seem to have an interest in dating until they brought up his girlfriend who was killed and barely mentioned.

I really agree with that. I also feel that Monty is aro/ace as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More aromantic character headcanons! This time, musical-themed, because of reasons.

G(a)linda from Wicked is aro; she idealized the idea of romance the whole life, and forced herself to try to have a crush on Fiyero, but when it came down to it, she didn't really feel it--Thank Goodness is basically all about this (so i couldn't be happier/because happy is what happens when all your dreams come true/well, isn't it?)

Jean Valjean and Enjolras from Les Mis--neither has any sort of romantic interest; Enjolras is outright said to not be interested in girls (just the revolution!) and Jean Valjean has a whole storyline about love despite never having a romantic interest (just an adopted daughter!). Honestly, I see them as canonically aro-coded, at the very least. (Also, for those of you who like the Amis de L'ABC: i headcanon Combeferre, Coufeyrac, and Jehan Prouvaire as aro, because reasons)

• Like 4

On 4/15/2016 at 5:34 PM, Vega said:

Speaking of Disney/Pixar movies, I always see Merida from Brave as aro. The whole conflict is her not wanting to get married. 

Granted, you can say it's just because she's too young and not interested in any of the potential suitors etc. but I choose to see her as fundamentally uninterested in romance. 

e9ae3a6a056162aa48e1186332c8af07.jpg

Merida is the closest Disney has gotten to an aro ace Disney princess :D

And it's true, she shows no interest for romance whatsoever. It's not like she's in love with someone else, or she wants to marry for love; she just doesn't want to get married.

• Like 9

I don't know if Merida really is aromantic (plus, how old is she ? maybe 14 ? definitely not an age where only old-fashioned girls dream of marriage and they dream of marriage only because that's what their parents want and what the media suggest they should do). Actually, I feel like it doesn't matter, because whether she's romantic or not, she just wants to be free from relationships and anything that would restrain her in general. Even if she were romantic, she certainly would have the capacity to say no to her feelings if they know they could be potentially harmful to her freedom.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, breaddd said:

e9ae3a6a056162aa48e1186332c8af07.jpg

Merida is the closest Disney has gotten to an aro ace Disney princess :D

And it's true, she shows no interest for romance whatsoever. It's not like she's in love with someone else, or she wants to marry for love; she just doesn't want to get married.

No matter what happens, she's the princess I identify with the most. And really, one of the only characters I've ever identified with. 

I'm just always sad that they never have Merida in Disney on Ice. :P

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 1:46 PM, artemis said:

I really like the idea of Scarlett Which being aro.

Civil War spouiler: (sorry for the typo, my phone is being annoying and I can't edit this for some reason because the mobile site hates me)

Unfortunately, I think they're trying to hint at something with her and Vision that will be pushed more in later movies, since I'm told that's canon in the comics. All in the name of "character development" for both of them, especially Vision...which I find incredibly annoying, because he's a

literal robot. With literally zero reason to have romantic feelings whatsoever. #StopTryingToHumanizeCharactersWithLoveInterests2k16

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Civil War spouiler: (sorry for the typo, my phone is being annoying and I can't edit this for some reason because the mobile site hates me)

Hide contents

Unfortunately, I think they're trying to hint at something with her and Vision that will be pushed more in later movies, since I'm told that's canon in the comics. All in the name of "character development" for both of them, especially Vision...which I find incredibly annoying, because he's a

literal robot. With literally zero reason to have romantic feelings whatsoever. #StopTryingToHumanizeCharactersWithLoveInterests2k16

Oh no, really? I really liked the idea of them being friends and finding connection to each other through being to beings of incredible power, and supporting each other through any rocky parts of their reletionship with society. I suppose a romantic relationship doesn't have to erase that, but I imagen it would overshadow it because that's such a common thing to happen.

7 hours ago, RedNeko said:

Hide contents

Oh no, really? I really liked the idea of them being friends and finding connection to each other through being to beings of incredible power, and supporting each other through any rocky parts of their reletionship with society. I suppose a romantic relationship doesn't have to erase that, but I imagen it would overshadow it because that's such a common thing to happen.

Well, that's what I was hoping for with Black Widow and Hulk, especially based on how they interacted in the first movie...and we all know how THAT ended up. 

>:( I have hope that they won't do the same thing here, but after Age of Ultron and that ridiculous shoehorned moment in Civil War, I know better than to be 100% optimistic about this sort of thing by now.

• Sad 1

I'm not quite sure about this one, but maybe Vir Cotto from Babylon 5. One episode he was sent the woman that his family had arranged for him to get married to. By the looks of it, most Centauri's sorta just roll with it, but Vir seemed somewhat uninterested. He did state that he would only marry for love, but that could mean anything.

Also G'kar from Bab5. He is the only character that never had any sort of partner or got set up with one.