Birth order effect?

Emerald Cheetah

Birth Order and Family  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I'm currently writing a two page paper for my sexuality class in college and I keep coming across this fraternal birth order effect. It basically says that with each brother born, under the same mother, there is a higher likelihood that they will be homosexual than the last one. It makes me wonder if this birth order effect could apply to any other sexualities or genders like aromanticism. It's a far stretch, but I have to say I'm curious. 

For me, I'm the youngest child and I only have 1 older brother. However, there is a 6 year age gap between me and my brother because my mom had 2 miscarriages in between soooo yeah, there's that.

As for the second question, I don't know a single person in my family who is aro, ace, or lgbt+. Everyone in my family is cisgender heterosexual to a tee ? I'm curious to see if it's like this for others or if I'm just unlucky lol

Edited by Emerald Cheetah
  • Like 2

Older of 2. Younger sister is ace-spec and bi. But I have a huge extended family (20+ members who are 1st cousins alone) who are all (to my knowledge) cisgender and heterosexual.

• Like 1

Younger child, only an older brother.

I said no for LGBT family members because as far as I know no one is (and I have a big family, my mother have 6 brothers and sisters).

However my brother (who is 30) never dated anyone. He apparantly thinks it doesn't worth it but... who knows.

• Like 1

Only child here. Technically I have an older half-brother, but we live in different cities and barely interact with each other, so I don't think it counts for the purposes of this poll

As far as I'm aware, I don't have anyone in my family who is LGBT+, and most of my older relatives are in a relationship/married, although it's possible that no one is saying anything because being LGBT+ is frowned upon in my country

• Like 2

Youngest child with one older brother. We have a 4 year age gap.

I have a pretty big extended family, with 15 aunts and uncles, and 19 biological first cousins (two of my cousins are adopted). I've never heard of any of them being LGBT+. But, who knows? I haven't come out to any of them either. The whole family is quite LGBTphobic. 

• Like 2

I am the youngest of 2 with an approx. 3 year age gap.

The only other family member I know is GSRM/ LGTBQPIA+ is my dad's one cousin and I have only see him at big family gatherings for wedding and funerals and such and I don't really know him that well at all other than the fact he is a drama teacher.

• Like 1

Oldest child (two sibling) and no, i am not aware of any lgbt+ familly member. That said, maybe they just didn't tell me, or maybe they don't care. or, since identity is complex, they don't have word for themselves. 

Only child.

Impossible to say whether I had a family member LGBT+ because one did not admit things like that. There was although one that we suspected to be very sex averse and another without much romantic interest.

• Like 2

I have 2 sisters, 1 is older and the other is younger. My older sister is a lesbian and I believe that she is the only other lgbt person in my family. My sister is 17 1/2 months older than me and the other one is 3 years younger.

• Like 1

Eldest here. My younger sister hasn't properly "come out" but I would be really surprised if she wasn't aspec like me, we share a lot of the same mentality about things.

Aside from I think one gay cousin I barely talk to, my family is full of cishets. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2 Spirit Cherokee Princess said:

I don't know how to answer the 1st question; I was sort of raised as an only child but I had older siblings from my father & stepmothers earlier marriages.  They had their own families but spent a lot of time with us as well.

based on what you've said, I would say only child since it sounds like you're not 100% biologically related to your other siblings. I suppose I should've specified in my question that I was looking for people to count only the siblings which they share both parents with when answering the birth order question. gahhhh, sorry about that.

only.  to be fair i am also cisgender and heterosexual.  i have a trans cousin, idk his orientation(s) and his brother is cis and as far as i know, straight.  they're my only relatives close to my age--my mom's an only child too.

I think my younger brother is (so far) aro and maybe ace, but he doesn't want to label himself as such because he doesn't like putting himself in a box. I can't think of anyone else in my family who is LGBTQ+.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m a middle child. My older sibling is 23 I think and my younger sibling is 11 maybe. Sexuality wise I don’t know the specifics of my siblings sexualities/orientations. I do know that none of us are cis.