Our Favourite Aromantic Songs

I like songs about love and heartbreak as much as the next person, but I think we can all agree songs without romantic/sexual themes can be few and far between. Post your faves here. I'll get us started with:

Chasing the Sun- Sara Bareilles

Break Stuff- Limp Bizkit

One Girl Revolution- Superchick

• Like 2

My favourite band, Drive-By Truckers, has a lot of fantastic songs that aren't anything to do with romance/sex. For example:-

• Outfit (about your son leaving home)
  • Decoration Day (about feuding families)
  • Used to Be a Cop (about a guy who used to be a cop, obvs)
  • Margo and Harold (about your strange neighbours)
  • The Living Bubba (about a guy facing his own mortality with a f*ck-you attitude)

I love Modest Mouse's album 'We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank'. To me, it seems to be about "finding yourself" (as cliche as that sounds, I can't find another way of putting it, aha) and the difficulty of finding a place to settle. Either way, there's no romance songs, although Spitting Venom can be perceived as a heartbreak song about a toxic relationship (nothing lovey dovey though, probably my favourite song on the album). They're pretty 'alternative' however, and won't be for everyone's taste (World's At Large is such a good song as well, regardless of taste). 

Judging by Limp Bizkit, you'd like old school Linkin Park as well. Putting the memes aside, they're a good band, first two albums are great and I can't remember any romance songs in them...

Will be lurking this thread to pick up more songs.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 12:11 AM, Digestive Biscuits said:

Judging by Limp Bizkit, you'd like old school Linkin Park as well.

You are right on the money. I listen to Hybrid Theory every now and again. Although 70% of my music is your typical girly pop :)

Anyone who likes tastefully written songs about love and heartbreak (as in, lyrics that don't necessarily have to be taken romantically) should check out Michelle Branch. Her songs are the type that have staying power (as opposed to the pop songs you hear on the radio, become obsessed with, then get sick of). "Breathe" and "All You Wanted" are great songs to start with.

I know I said aromantic songs at the start but I just gotta blast my fave artist :D

• Like 2

As a bitter aro and a complete music nerd, I have a running list...

• "Love Love Love" by Of Monsters and Men (the title would lead you to believe this is not an aro jam but if you look at the lyrics, you'll think otherwise)
  • "Alone and Sublime" by Mother Mother (mainly about wondering whether it's somehow wrong to be alone)
  • "No One to Nothing" by Mother Mother (idk this one just gives me an aro vibe)
  • "Heart Heavy" by Mother Mother (i think it's safe to say Mother Mother has a decent amount of aro songs)
  • "Another Night on Mars" by The Maine (a song about friends, really)
  • "All My Friends" by LCD Soundsystem (another song about friends. also an existential crisis jam, tbh)
  • "Something In Me Was Dying" by Keane (about meeting someone who sticks with you. i always thought of it as a song about friendship although it was probably meant to be romantic)
  • "Are You Satisfied?" by Marina and the Diamonds (about making your life what you want it to be even if other people say it's wrong, at least how i interpret it)
  • "I Am Not a Robot" by Marina and the Diamonds (a classic aro anthem)
  • "Oh No!" by Marina and the Diamonds (another aro anthem tbh. also how i react when someone flirts with me)
  • "You're My Best Friend" by Queen (an obvious choice)

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of, but here's a bunch I dug through my archives to find :P took me a surprisingly long time.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:51 AM, techno-trashcan said:

...I've made a mistake and forgotten two very obvious and crucial examples of aro songs.

this song

and Moses Sumney's album CALLED AROMANTICISM

idk how i forgot either of those. shame on me really

I second that Moses Sumney's album is so important I've never heard bops this relatable before

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 6:38 PM, MargauxTheArtist5 said:

My favorite aro song is Hug All ur Friends by Cavetown. Plus, Cavetown has said that he is aro in a recent q&a video on his YouTube channel! :)

Yay, one more aro out ! I never heard about him before.

On 9/23/2018 at 1:35 AM, DavidMS703 said:

Heart Eater by aromantic YouTuber Connie Glynn is a great one. Her other original song, Video Boy, has some lyrics to suggest not having romantic feelings toward real people but is about being romantically interested in a virtual character. Another good one is Me, Myself, and I by G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha.

I listen to Heart Eater now and then, I absolutely love this song especially "they all say I can change but I've always been this way" I think we can all relate to that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, MargauxTheArtist5 said:

My favorite aro song is Hug All ur Friends by Cavetown. Plus, Cavetown has said that he is aro in a recent q&a video on his YouTube channel! :)

aw nice his songs are some of my favorite but I didn't know he was aro!!

I love Hug All ur Friends and I also love This Is Home

• Like 4