Our Favourite Aromantic Songs

For Me -Dearlie is my comfort aro song

I personally like I Don't Need Love  by NIIC, Heart Heavy & Alone and Sublime by Mother Mother and I'm Good by The Mowlgi's is a really awesome feel-good aro song

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Meaningless by The Magnetic Fields has this wonderful verse:

'And if some dim bulb should say
We were in love in some way
Kick all his teeth in for me
And if you feel like keeping on kicking
Feel free'

I think the song  is kind of inteded to be a romantic song sung with bitter sarcasm at someone else saying a relationship was meaningless, but I can't help thinking of singing it loud and happy and totally agreeeing with the sentiment that the whole thing was meaningless.

Edited by roboticanary
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Emily Reo doesn't have a single love song out (with the joking exception of Charlie, which is about a cat) and that makes me so happy. Not to mention her songs are just super cool. Other than that, check out Let's Eat Grandma's stuff, especially their first album(theres some implied romance in the second, but nothing outright).

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a whole collection of "wait, this song has always resonated with me and now I know why" things I need to put into a playlist. This is one of the aro type ones I still really like.

Any song that starts off with "I will never love you" is a strong aromantic contender for me, really.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:00 PM, BottledEnigmas said:

I love "Aromantic Moodboard" so much!

link: 

Thank you, a million times thank you for this song. This song resonates with me on more than just my aro identity. To me, there's something spiritual about this song. I do have one complaint, though. I wish this song were longer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Neptune by Sleeping at Last could possibly be an aro song, because of the lyric "I wanna love you but I don't know how". That's the only aro song I could think of that isn't already on the thread lol

• 1 month later...

Michael in the bathroom from the musical Be More Chill.

Not a happy song, but Michael is left alone at a party by his best friend Jeremy, because Jeremy prefers spending time with his new girlfriend than with him. I think aros can relate to be abandonned because of romance.

• Like 1

my song recs- 

I promise I'm trying- cavetown

Sports- Beach bunny

Aromantic's Lament- Selena

Lowkey 'anybody have a map?' and 'words fail' from dear evan hansen 

I'm so tired - Lauv & Troye Sivan 

Wishing well- the oh hellos

Not- Big thief (for those who feel like their identity is abstract and hard to pin down, and/or have a fistful of fuzzy-edged memories of feelings)

A Pearl- Mitski (honestly just a questioning-feel song)

oh! also 

A(ce) Song - glowstick doodles (for aroaces a bit more than aros maybe though) 

King of Anything - Sara Bareilles 

They Don't Know Us- Borgeous 

3 hours ago, Guest - aro? said:

Lowkey 'anybody have a map?' and 'words fail' from dear evan hansen 

Also For forever from Dear Evan Hansen, you will be found... In fact there is not that much romantic songs in Dear Evan Hanse (I think there is only us and if I could tell her, but that's it).

I realize the reason why I get into musical in the first place, even if it not a thing in my family, is because of the songs. Of course there are musicals that focus on romantic love, but some focus on other things. And so a lot of musical songs deal with other feeling than romantic love. They can deal with all the aspect of life, wontrary to mainstream music that is either about romance or confidence songs (maybe with the exception of rap that can have social theme).

• 2 weeks later...

- Not Today by Twenty One Pilots has a bit of an aro vibe

like the lyrics "You are out of my mind, you aren't seeing my side, you waste all this time trying to get to me, but you are out of my mind" cuz that reminds me of someone chasing after someone else who doesn't have those feelings and they're just pushing away that person's opinion or denying that they're aro

or the line "Because it represents, wait, better yet it is who I feel I am right now" is like realizing your aro/ace and finally accepting it

- Turning Out (both part one and part two) by AJR

- Human, When and Sick of Losing Soulmates all by dodie have to do with loving someone platonically (maybe not sick of losing soulmates, but it doesn't say that she's romantically in love)

- This Is Home by Cavetown, with the lyrics "Often I am upset that I cannot fall in love but I guess
This avoids the stress of falling out of it" just radiates aromanticism

- Cynical Fairytale by Egg, I haven't seen anyone else recommend this, so I am, it needs more attention

- Platonic Love Song #1 by Lauren Bird 

- Pretend Love by The Avett Brothers

- Something in me was dying by Keane

- I Don't Love You by Aiden Alexander

- the idea of you by mxmtoon, because the lyrics "I don't know... If I'm in love with you, or the idea of loving you. It's unclear, I mean I used to feel so sure, but I might just be immature" reminds me of when I thought i liked someone but it turns out i just really wanted a hug and attention

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly an aromantic song, but I just realized through internet research that the song Gloria was originally a song expressing romantic love from a man to a woman, and I think it's really cool how Laura Branigan transformed it into something completely else, about mental health and talking to someone who seems to be going crazy in looking for love. I've been a fan of the song for a while and after listening to the earlier versions I still definitely like Laura Branigan's lyrics the best.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...