Our Favourite Aromantic Songs

• 1 month later...

It wasn't made as an aro tune but the old rugby song 'If I were the marrying kind' seems like it could fit here.

If I were the marrying kind

which thank the lord I'm not sir

The kind of man that I would wed

would be a rugby full-back

Its quite a rude song so I'll stop the lyrics here but I think you can see why I think it belongs

• 4 months later...
Guest Anti Romantic!

I came here to look for aromantic song recomendations and so far i've found really good ones! Idk much about songs for aromantics but If i were to recomend one i'd say Anti-Romantic by txt ^-^

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm sure plenty of people already mentioned "Never Been in Love" by Will Jay and "I am Not a Robot" by Marina and the Diamonds, so here are some other songs that, while not really as distinctly aro to me, have resonated a LOT with my aro experience.

• "Run-Time" - Imogen Heap (cannot tell you how much this song resonated with me when I realized, in the middle of being in a 6 year long relationship, that I was aro)
  • "Wish I Never Loved You 2.0" - J-Marin & Bolshiee (it is so wonderfully refreshing to find a song about the struggles of a toxic relationship and have it be EXPLICITLY platonic, and deal with that with the sheer emotional weight the topic deserves.)
  • "Steady, As She Goes" - The Raconteurs (probably not the intention but GOD if this whole song doesn't feel like a critique of amatonormativity and the pressure to get married and have a spouse and just to be seen as normal and functional)
  • "I'll Find a Way" - Zack Hemsey (okay the part I read as aro is a very minor part and could easily be read as romantic as well but it's an overall incredible and powerful song and the lines "You are not the only way to make me whole/And I won’t ever turn my heart to stone" resonate very deeply to me as an aromantic who cares very deeply about people but detests the idea of being incomplete without your "other half")
  • Like 1

Crush Culture by Conan Gray. Funny story, I used to absolutely love this song and listen to it all the time before I even realized I was aro. Looking back now I'm like... how did I not realize sooner?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

None of the songs in the album four winds by the oh hellos have anything to do with romance as far as I know! (Or there’s some references like in oh sleeper “ my love is lying fast asleep” but from my understanding they are about something else

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Xaexiin

Maybe I was boring by Wilbur Soot, he's made a lot of aro coded songs but that one is really relatable to me :)

• 4 months later...
On 9/18/2020 at 10:57 AM, Tylore said:

God, I have a perfect song but I forgot it’s name, anyone remember a chill alt song with lithro/apro/akoiro vibes?

There is a song called Lithromantic by weeklyn ft. Crymode

I believe the artist could actually be Lithromantic, but it's an indie song where the artist is venting about his experiences of (potentially) being aro-spec, or at least experiencing romantic attraction towards people and it going away when the other reciprocates.

For anyone who is the Country genre type, which yeah yeah I know not a lot of people are and I barely listen to it myself, but I couldn't help but want to find songs that have queer vibes in them - and what better than the ones that have the artist want to live alone, and so could be interpreted as aromantic*?

1) Southern Nights by Glenn Campbell 

- the song is just about the singer sharing a love they have for the South in mainly just the landscape and nights -

2) Cowpoke by Colter Wall

- the singer rejoicing in being a lonesome wanderer, a cowpoke/cowboy (the melody is very beautiful too) -

3) (I Got Spurs That) Jingle, Jangle, Jingle by Kay Kriser & His Orchestra

- once again the singer being happy that they're single -

4) Quiet, Heavy Dreams by Zach Bryan

- the singer trying to hold onto the hope that there's still someone out there for them, but the song gives off a vibe that the singer knows that it's not destined to be

5) I'd Have to Think About It by Leith Ross

- the singer singing about their dreams of hopefully falling in love (or if you interpret the song as aro-spec, then maybe potentially falling in love) in the future, but when faced with the actuality of others loving them in the moment, they freeze up -

6) Have You Ever Seen The Rain? by Credence Clearwater Revival

- the singer goes on about the toughness of life and yet how beautiful it can be, and the singer using an aspect of nature to convey their feelings gives off aro vibes to me, much like Southern nights -

7) Going Up The Country by Canned Heat

- the singer going on about going to a far off place that is paradise to them which involves being away from society and it's problems, and inviting others like them to join in reaching that place -

8) Gals Don't Mean A Thing by Johnny Bond

- the singer explaining how in their young life they've already been through and through with the blues, so much to where said blues don't really stay, simply because they can't love people like how they're "supposed" to -

(this song in particular actually makes me wonder if there were artists who were most definitely aromantic*, but just didn't have that word to describe themselves and probably just dubbed themselves straight (especially if they were heterosexual anyway) or maybe even queer if they were comfortable with that)

9) Long Haired Country Boy by The Charlie Daniels Band

- gives off the-angry-aro-who-wants-to-be-left-the-hell-alone vibes to me -

10) They Say It's Wonderful - from "Annie Get Your Gun" by Doris Day

- the singer goes over how many people say that falling in love is the most amazing thing, how everyone obsesses over it, but the singer can't exactly relate and is annoyed that they're just told love is great without being given an explanation as to how it's great -

Honorable Mentions:

Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver

I've Been Everywhere by Johnny Cash

Call Me The Breeze by Lynyrd Skynyrd (my favorite "aro" country song ever)

Don't Ask Me No Questions by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature

• 1 month later...

I know people have already said Turning Out parts 1 and 2, but I want to say them again.

Part 1:

Am I ready for love?
Or maybe just a best friend
Should there be a difference
Do you have instructions?
Maybe I'm stuck on what I see on TV
I grew up on Disney
But this don't feel like Disney

Part 2:

I think I probably wasn't in love with you
I think I probably loved the idea of you
And though I may be missing the feel of you
I think I probably wasn't in love with you
I said it 'cause I no longer wanna hurt
I said it back to you 'cause you said it first
And though I may be wishing it wasn't true
I think I probably wasn't in love
I wasn't in love with you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone mentioned Luv Luv Luv by Pansy Division? It feels like such an aroallo anthem. Love love love love love, and it sounds like blah blah blah blah blah.

• 2 weeks later...

Since self identifying as aroace, I have always thought Taylor Swift's Anti-Hero was about an aromantic person rising above their peers by becoming successful and happy through their ambition (my headcanon for the mention of the "daughter in law" in the song is that this is an aromantic who wishes to become a parent one day) and having their ambition being mistaken for coldheartedness. Even the "sexy baby" versus "monster on the hill" comparison made me think of the stereotypes some allo people who believe in amatonormativity must have of something being inherently wrong with aro people. 

Honestly? I think ‘love love love’ by of monsters and men fits

All 'cause you love, love, love when you know I can't love
You love, love, love when you know I can't love
You love, love, love when you know I can't love you

and another one for probably more asexuality would be ‘willow tree march’ by the paper kites

And you weaken your love
And you hold it above your head
Success is a song of the heart, not a song of your bed

in this context I think of ‘weakening my love’ as admitting I can’t, in a way if that makes sense

haha 😂 getting philosophical 🧐 

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love songs where they associate "dancing" with mingling, and so I often put songs about the singer not wanting to dance onto my aro playlist:

We Don't have To Dance by Andy Black

Dance With Me by Topline Addicts (another song that I added from this band was Bea Arthur)

I Don't Wanna Dance by COIN

But, I also love this band called Mom Rock and two songs I put on my playlist was Bullseye (the song says "Everyone has a heart the shape of a bullseye" which feels a bit amatonormative, but at the same time the people in the music video reject love letters and run from Cupid's bow n' arrow, so I thought it was still a great song to add) and Grand Romantic Life (very much either about someone who doesn't know they're aro or the singer could be interpreted as aro singing about allos).

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature

• 2 weeks later...

Never Been in Love - Will Jay

Version of Love - Will Jay

People Watching - Conan Gray

Crush Culture - Conan Gray

Crush - Glades

FRIENDS - Anne-Marie, Marshmello

Not a Love Song - Bülow (aroallo)

Here - Alessia Cara

• Like 1