Scariest movies for you as a child

Zema

So a few, somewhat popular youtubers have decided to share the scariest movies for them when they were a child. You can view the videos here. I thought that this would be an interesting topic. So, what were the scariest movies (or any piece of media) for you when you were a child?

For me, by far, the scariest movie was "Jurassic Park". I was like 8 when I first watched it. I didn't finish. I don't think I actually saw the movie in its entirety until I was like 15. And the movie is only PG! This movie starts off all nice and friendly too. Minor Spoilers:

Spoiler

My memory isn't great, but I'm pretty sure the scene the messed me up the most is the one where the hand falls on the woman, but it's not attached to a person. Absolutely terrified me. Again, my memory isn't great, but that's probably the scene where I just noped out and left the room. i had my brother tell me the ending of the movie.

Next for me was Doctor Who. Not every episode was scary, but there are a few episodes which really stand out. If you've ever watched Doctor Who, you'll know which ones they are. By the time season 6 came out, I was a teenager, and Doctor Who no longer scared me. However the absolute scariest episode was the library episode. Absolutely terrifying to me as a child. I rewatched that episode (or pair of episodes at least) when I was older and they didn't scare me at all. But as a child, oh boy did they ever. Also, every episode with weeping angels (before season 6). Scary AF. The entire premise behind the weeping angels is both genius and terrifying. And last, the episode "Midnight". Even as an adult, that episode gives me chills. It's so creepy. (Side note: If you've never watched Doctor Who, I'd highly recommend watching the epsiodes "Blink" and "Midnight". Not much prior knowledge of Doctor Who is necessary to enjoy them, and they are absolutely brilliant.) Doctor Who was probably the biggest source of nightmares for me as a child.

I'm also going to mention "The Exorcist". Even though I was like 14 when I saw it and not really a child, it still gave me nightmares. I have no doubt that that movie would scare me still as an adult (If you didn't know, I don't like scary things as I get scared really easy :/).

So what movies/tv shows/books/other form of media scared you the most as a child? Do they still scare you?

• Like 5

"The Grizzly," a graphically shlocky ripoff of the original "Jaws" released around the same year. My tender young mind was not ready for the graphic images of maiming and death. That woman whose deceased eyes keep staring at the camera in closeup while the bear continues hitting her remains still sticks with me. I got some kind of PTSD from that.

• Like 2

Oh boy, seriously ? I'm the most fearful person I know. So there many things that have frightened me and still frighten me.

First, there was Snow White. I absolutely hated the Queen/Witch. Her metamorphosis and her death scared me to death (badum tss).

Then there was Fantasia, with the scene of the Devil with a capital D and the scariest music that ever existed in the backround. And ghosts. Lot of Ghosts. God, I cried every time I watched that scene.

And of course Psycho. Dude. Motherfuckin' Psycho. I was 10 for fuck's sake ! What I was thinking ! I had nightmare for a week !

16 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

Next for me was Doctor Who. Not every episode was scary, but there are a few episodes which really stand out. If you've ever watched Doctor Who, you'll know which ones they are. By the time season 6 came out, I was a teenager, and Doctor Who no longer scared me. However the absolute scariest episode was the library episode. Absolutely terrifying to me as a child. I rewatched that episode (or pair of episodes at least) when I was older and they didn't scare me at all. But as a child, oh boy did they ever. Also, every episode with weeping angels (before season 6). Scary AF.

Oh god Yes ! Doctor Who. A brillant serie but a scary serie nonetheless. The weeping Angels ? Seriously ? I piss myself everytime I see them. Heck, I was 17 when I started Doctor Who and I had to see every episode that starred them with a friend so I could hide behind her during 90% of the episode.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

Gremlins. Those things still creep me out today.

As soon as I saw this topic thread, I IMMEDIATELY thought of Gremlins. I cried the first time my parents had me watch it!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to watch Little Shop of Horrors at the age of 8. Not a good idea.

My family regularly watched Mars Attack when my younger brother was little. (The first time my Dad watched it, my toddler brother started going "at at at" as soon as he saw the disguised Martian.) I was fine with it, and he was OK when he was too little to understand what was going on, but he's told me that apparently we let him watch it when he was just getting old enough to be terrified by it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 26/05/2017 at 5:44 PM, Zemaddog said:

Next for me was Doctor Who. Not every episode was scary, but there are a few episodes which really stand out. If you've ever watched Doctor Who, you'll know which ones they are. By the time season 6 came out, I was a teenager, and Doctor Who no longer scared me. However the absolute scariest episode was the library episode. Absolutely terrifying to me as a child. I rewatched that episode (or pair of episodes at least) when I was older and they didn't scare me at all. But as a child, oh boy did they ever. Also, every episode with weeping angels (before season 6). Scary AF. The entire premise behind the weeping angels is both genius and terrifying. And last, the episode "Midnight". Even as an adult, that episode gives me chills. It's so creepy. (Side note: If you've never watched Doctor Who, I'd highly recommend watching the epsiodes "Blink" and "Midnight". Not much prior knowledge of Doctor Who is necessary to enjoy them, and they are absolutely brilliant.) Doctor Who was probably the biggest source of nightmares for me as a child.

eeGads! the Vashta Nerada and the Weeping Angels are the only things I found scary on Doctor Who, but they massively scared me! Sometimes I still check to see I only have one shadow. 

On 19/06/2017 at 0:14 PM, Ettina said:

My family regularly watched Mars Attack when my younger brother was little. (The first time my Dad watched it, my toddler brother started going "at at at" as soon as he saw the disguised Martian.) I was fine with it, and he was OK when he was too little to understand what was going on, but he's told me that apparently we let him watch it when he was just getting old enough to be terrified by it.

This movie traumatised me. I can't deal with it even now. 

I am generally not scared by movies much but every now and then something will get me. Like the movie Ravenous (1999), the compound fracture scene gets me every time.  Into the Mirror (2003) (not to be confused with the American remake), the elevator mirror scene! and the car window!! I covered up all the mirrors in the house the night I watched that one. The Invisible (2002) worst situation to be in ever. More terrifyingly sad than scary, but still a nightmare inducing concept. 

• 2 weeks later...

Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban. I was afraid of Professor Remus Lupin's werewolf form. Oddly, I only ever thought of it when I took a shower. For a year or so of my childhood, I would check the shower for werewolves every time I entered the bathroom. 

• Like 3

The Wizard of Oz - at least, the part where Dorothy is being threatened by the witch because she won't give up the ruby slippers. Apparently I enjoyed the rest of the movie because I distinctly remember asking my mum to put it on, but I hid behind the sofa for bits of it because I couldn't handle it :rofl:

When I was still a teenager I saw an episode of the Outer Limits (I checked it out because my crush at the time liked it... big mistake!); the first, and only episode I happened to catch was about the sun going nova and I had nightmares about it, and similar events for years afterwards, which says a lot. While I'm admittedly fairly easy to scare, it rarely induces nightmares.

Also, my brother loved this short film called 'The Plank' when we were kids. It was about rubbish collectors and I was always terrified I was about to watch one of the men get crushed to death in the back of the bin lorry, as he sat on the edge. It was supposed to be a comedy...

Another one my brother liked was an animation based on one of the world wars - the only thing I remember about it, because it scared the ever living shit out of me, was the soldiers had gas masks, but the hose things on them wriggled about like worms. Combined with the goggles that made them look like their eyes had no pupils, and they were staring right at me, it was pretty traumatising (I also made the mistake once of covering my eyes and asking him to tell me when they'd disappeared... yeah, my bro was a bit of an asshole when we were kids :P)

• Like 1

Mysteriet på Greveholm (the mystery at Count Island) is the earliest thing I remember scaring me. It was my bogeyman for years. All the most terryfying nightmares it was that skeleton man chasing me.

Look how terrifying!

3d067989860a37b434c55ea2d0176929_50c120b

The only thing from when I was a child that still scare me are some of the ghost stories. Like of people stepping out mirrors or stuff.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm kind of a weirdo in that I don't find traditional horror movies scary.  I mostly just find them boring (or infuriating when the characters do horrifically stupid things).  The only movie that haunts me to this day is The Truman Show.  Which, again, not a horror movie.  

But the idea that nothing around me was something I had actually accomplished or built through my own means, that everyone I knew was just there because they had to be and not because they were genuinely my friends, and that the world at large had free access to every private moment I ever thought I had is basically the worst thing I can think of.  

Watched that movie in middle school and  I STILL think about it.  Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I tell them that's the scariest movie I've ever seen, but I don't know how it CAN'T be....

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

@starstuff I understand that. It is terror at a concept. Which really is what a lot of good Sci-fi books try doing, a sort of This is the world but not as you know it.....

The movie I mentioned, The Invisible (2002), is a sort of concept horror. To be able to see and hear and travel but not interact with people or objects, while the only way to get free is to die but you can't do anything about it yourself. scary stuff. 

From the movies I was actually allowed to watch as a child it would be Gremlins and Fantasia; I guess my parents didn't even look at the age rating because the covers were too cutesy. And then Dance of the Vampires (The Fearless Vampire Killers in the U.S.). Of course, it's not a remotely scary movie for an adult, but you don't get how silly it tries to be as a child.

I once sneaked to the TV in the evening (I was 7 years old AFAICR) and of all movies, it was Natural Born Killers running. It just totally freaked me out, obviously.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Lion King. Really, I love this movie, even as a child I saw it a billion times. But the end, with the fire and the battle... I was scared every time.

Then I managed to escape scary movies because I left the room when they appeared. Every time my dad watched à horror movie I asked him to change the channel.

And my brother liked Scooby-doo,  but I couldn't watch it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 3:24 AM, Cee Fox said:

The Mummy used to terrify me, especially when (in the sequel I think) scarabs used to burst out of the peoples' skin?

Omg, yes the mummy's scarab part haunted me in my childhood ?

Other than the specific part in The Mummy, I was mostly scared or rather creeped out by the episode in Goosebumps with the mask. I can't think of a movie off the top of my head yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...