Scariest movies for you as a child

Zema

*semi graphic gore description* Bones (the tv show) terrified me (especially the scene where the guy came out of the closet and slit someone's throat), and before that, there was that one scene in Monk (tv show) where the elephant smashed the guy's head like a watermelon. eugh.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh boy, the first movie I watched in cinema was "Tangled" and I was so scared I had to leave during the movie. I wasn't able to rewatch it until I was 15.

Also, this whole "Hunger Games" thing (I can't remember the name right now, the movie with Katniss Everdeen) freaked me out so much, I had nightmares for years afterwards, even when I started watching scarier movies, that is still the scariest one I've seen so far.

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2018 at 11:17 AM, DeltaV said:

Natural Born Killers

Dude, if there's any external reasons I'm ace, it'd be that movie. 

A movie that caused reoccurring nightmares was The Changeling. I watched it when I was like 6 and could only remember the nightmare I had until age 14, when I watched it and realized that it was the movie. Adam Sandler's That's My Boy sexually traumatized me too.

• 1 month later...

I was scared of a lot of odd things as I child. The first thing I thought of for this was the dead-Mufasa's-head-in-the-clouds scene from Lion King. It scared the shit out of both my brother and I. We would run and hide when that scene came up, and then take turns to check if it was over. I still think that scene is really powerful, and it is possible that some of that power comes from the fact that it scared me as a child.

Reading this thread and watching some of the videos also reminded me of other things that frightened me. Snow White was mentioned previously, but what scared me with that was the hunter, who comes to kill her and fails, followed by the scene in the forest, where the trees have fingers that grab at her. I was even (allegedly, it was very early and I don't have that strong memories of the time) scared of a friend of the family, who had similar facial hair as the hunter in Snow White. A sweet man who did not at all mean to scare small children, and yet I freaked out when I saw him.

And oh my lord, that Pingu dream sequence brought up in one of the linked videos. I had forgotten about that, but it was horrifically scary. The snorting laugh, the way it ate the bed.

And oh god, the Brave Little Toaster. I had that movie. It had some moments. One scene that was not brought up in the video is one where, I think, they are all swept away by a river, except the vacuum cleaner, who is left alone, thinking all the others are dead.

Edited by Jedi
  • Like 1

I'm often more afraid of reality than fantasy.

There was one social riot scene in the movie Germinal that shocked the hell out of me when I was 14. It was a very realistic French movie. A teacher showed it to us at school (this guy was nuts) because it was relevant for the history of our local mining industry. I had my guard down as it was at school so I was not expecting too disturbing content. It hit me harder because of that. There was sex and enough violence to make it 18+.

• 6 months later...

Kolchak the Night Stalker.  Based on the novel by Jeff Rice which became 2 TV movies:  The Night Stalker & The Night Strangler; then the TV series.  Carl Kolchak is a crime reporter, but many of the deaths he investigates turn out to have supernatural causes.  This monster of the week show is mostly forgotten now, but it inspired many other shows including The Incredible Hulk (1977-82), Werewolf (1987-8) & The X Files.  https://dai.ly/x31lpzu

Watership Down, Quatermass and The Pit (considering it was made in the 1960s on a very low budget it is unreasonably terrifying),  and Alien (my dad got in a lot of trouble for letting we watch that).

Edited by Rolo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rolo said:

Watership Down, Quatermass and The Pit (considering it was made in the 1960s on a very low budget it is unreasonably terrifying),  and Alien (my dad got in a lot of trouble for letting we watch that).

Quatermass and the Pit was great.  Professor Quatermass wasn't well known in the US so it was renamed 5 Million Years to Earth here.  It inspired the 1985 Hollywood film Lifeforce.

For me it was Spirited Away, more specifically, that part at the beginning where Chihiro's parents are turned into pigs. My younger cousin was absolutely fine watching that, but I hid under a blanket and refused to even look at the screen for the rest of the movie. I can watch this movie now no problem, but back then that was the freakiest thing ever

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

There are some episodes of Doctor Who that still give me the creeps.  Also, this isn't a movie, but my dad got the idea at one point to read me some Edward Gorey before bed, which terrified me for years.

On the other hand, The Dark Crystal (which seems to be a pretty common childhood fear) left me totally unfazed.

• Like 1

The one I can remember being most afraid of was Coraline. I watched it when I was 4 or 5 and had nightmares for a while, but still wanted to watch it again. I think Coraline sparked my interest in fantasy horror. 

15 hours ago, Karst said:

On the other hand, The Dark Crystal (which seems to be a pretty common childhood fear) left me totally unfazed.

I loved The Dark Crystal, probably one of my favorite movies as a kid. That was one of those movies I watched over and over again. 

• Like 1

A few I remember being scared of as a kid were Toy Story 3 (the part with the incinerator) and Princess and the Frog. I saw them in theatres when I was about seven or eight.

When I was about 10, my friends made me watch Coraline and Sleepy Hollow. Thinking about those movies still freaks me out.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Honestly, I don't really remember being terrified by any movie as a child Idk why tho? although I do remember clicking on a video on YouTube at that age that pranked me and shoved this in my face. (⚠️!Do not click if you have epilepsy!⚠️👇 👇 and wound up being absolutely terrified and felt a feeling of terror inside my stomach for like 4 hours afterwards. lol.

Idk why but I can't stop laughing at it now.

Edited by SwiftySpeedy

I don't remember being scared due to movies, but in the game Nancy Drew and the Haunted Carousel you get your foot stuck in a roller coaster track and have to solve a puzzle before the coaster runs you over. Just the thought of getting your foot stuck in a rail freaked me out.

I was stopped from watching Pan's Labyrinth by my eldest sister because she thought I would get nightmares though. I had some time between getting home and her getting home so I watched what I could and was stopped when she got home. I think it was during a monster scene, but I don't remember if it was the frog or the pale man.

I still haven’t brought myself to see Coraline again. It scared me so much as a kid

And I didn’t remember until I read someone say it here, but I was also really scared by some scenes in Zootopia, though I really like it now!

• Like 1