Aro POCs

Cee Fox

Thank you, @Cee Fox ! Just to get a topic going I thought I'd share this post I made on Tumblr about the marriage of two famous Bollywood celebrities and how that impacts me as an aro of South Asian descent. I feel like each poc community has distinct, deep-set attitudes toward marriage and these are my thoughts on those in the South Asian community.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

I often feel out of place in the LGBT community to begin with as a queer black person. I find that the LGBT community has an overwhelming number of white people for a culture supposedly focused on diversity and acceptance. The number of nonwhite people becomes even less in the bi community, and lesser still on the aspectrum. I just hope this thread can introduce me to other LGBT people of color.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 11:57 PM, Chibi Sam Winchester said:

I often feel out of place in the LGBT community to begin with as a queer black person. I find that the LGBT community has an overwhelming number of white people for a culture supposedly focused on diversity and acceptance. The number of nonwhite people becomes even less in the bi community, and lesser still on the aspectrum. I just hope this thread can introduce me to other LGBT people of color.

I definitely agree! At my college, which is overwhelmingly white, it's difficult for me to find LGBT+ spaces where I feel truly at home as a black aro/ace female.

• Like 5

I'm not a PoC, but I am hispanic and tired of having to explain to stupid exclusionshit fuckheads why deeming asexuality a "white people thing" is, in fact, extremely racist, because hey! I don't like being subjected to the spicy latina lover stereotype! ?

• Like 12

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 7:07 AM, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I'm not a PoC, but I am hispanic and tired of having to explain to stupid exclusionshit fuckheads why deeming asexuality a "white people thing" is, in fact, extremely racist, because hey! I don't like being subjected to the spicy latina lover stereotype! ?

Some people says that? My optimism about human kind is going down more every day.

Personally I am mixed race though I don't look like I am (I am mistaken for white or arabic, depends on people and haircut,  because of my skin color). But if I'm honest I really don't care about my color and I have only a French culture (except maybe when it comes to food; I won't say I like spicy food but really, the seasoning is different). So I'm not sure I can add anything to the discussion.

• Like 5

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm white but I just wanted to mention the book I'm reading: Aro Eros Arrows by Michón Neal. They talk about their experience with being black, aro, asexual, gender nonbinary and aspec. I find it very well written and insightful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

One Polish psychologist who published an article about aromanticism (it was also very first article about aromanticism in my language), placed a (stock) photo of two persons: a white woman and a black man (both smiling), I liked the idea. He’s known for being an inclusionst and he’s publishing lots of great educational posts about subjects connected to minorities and opressed groups of people so I think it can’t be seen as ’opportunism’ but ’hey, it’s not just about white persons but it’s about everyone’. (I hope my terrible English is easy to understand)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, babo_ said:

hello! i'm brown and brazilian. that's pretty much what i wanted to say, just to make an addition to the thread idk

good to see more poc in here!

50 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Latine buddies!!! Hello!

Eeyy, nice to see some other latine peeps around!!  ? 

@babo_ My mom is Brazilian ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, senACEay_11 said:

Ayy!! My mom's Mexican!

Biracial here!! Hispanic and Caucasian, but apparently I don't look it unless I sit in the sun for a while, or if I'm compared to my family, since I don't really look like any of them (I look more like my biological dad, who I tell no one about.) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skylord said:

Biracial here!! Hispanic and Caucasian, but apparently I don't look it unless I sit in the sun for a while, or if I'm compared to my family, since I don't really look like any of them (I look more like my biological dad, who I tell no one about.) 

Same here (except Black and Caucasian). My brother have a dark skin however. So I like to say, as he is older, that he is a selfish guy who took all the color and left nothing for me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Skylord said:

Yeah, both my mom and my sister have dark eyes and dark hair, and then there's just me ? I do tan too though, and my hair texture is also another determining factor. 

• Like 1

I'm Hispanic and white as well, but I'm not mixed at all. Mom's family is 100% Puerto Rican, 100% white. I feel like a lot of people equate "hispanic" with like, chicano stereotypes or something and then get surprised when not all Hispanic folks look a certain way, lmao

Edited by Jot-Aro Kujo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, senACEay_11 said:

Yeah, both my mom and my sister have dark eyes and dark hair, and then there's just me ? I do tan too though, and my hair texture is also another determining factor. 

I'm the opposite, I have dark, straight hair and dark eyes, while my mom, sister, and stepdad (it feels weird calling him that) all have blue or hazel eyes, and light, wavy hair, kind of curly in my mom's case. 

• Like 2

Can't experience any intersectionality if at least one of those things you're too stuck in the closet to talk about/avoid like a wildfire IRL sweat.

In all seriousness though, I'm from a place that definitely doesn't even know something like aromanticism exist. Everyone around me is also very white alsdjfl. There may be like a few Hispanic/Latino people but from where I live that just means the majority of them are conservative as well so... yeah, from what I can tell @ my college, the LGBTQ+ group there is mostly white people too.

• Like 3

On 11/28/2020 at 4:20 PM, cyancat said:

Can't experience any intersectionality if at least one of those things you're too stuck in the closet to talk about/avoid like a wildfire IRL sweat.

In all seriousness though, I'm from a place that definitely doesn't even know something like aromanticism exist. Everyone around me is also very white alsdjfl. There may be like a few Hispanic/Latino people but from where I live that just means the majority of them are conservative as well so... yeah, from what I can tell @ my college, the LGBTQ+ group there is mostly white people too.

Yeah its always difficult when there isn't a lot of diversity in LGBTQ+ spaces. For me, one of the main things that helped me feel validated was seeing both people who did and didn't look like me sharing my orientation. It helped me know that this isn't just a "me" thing, other people feel the exact same way.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 2:48 PM, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I'm Hispanic and white as well, but I'm not mixed at all. Mom's family is 100% Puerto Rican, 100% white. I feel like a lot of people equate "hispanic" with like, chicano stereotypes or something and then get surprised when not all Hispanic folks look a certain way, lmao

I am Puerto Rican too. Hello to all latine people here too. Though my father isn't from Puerto Rico but he identifies as one so we all go for it. Wow I am happy to find that I am not alone on being aro and hispanic. And the prejudice that all latine are very sexual and romantic.

• Like 1