Aromantic Moments

Hey guys what happened to this amazing thread? :P

So this is more of an ace moment, but it kind of applies to just non-straightness in general. So when I got my hair dyed (purple) I kind of awkwardly said to my mom "I really like purple" as kind of a small joke to myself about being ace. And then she gave me this weird look and said, "you know what purple stands for, right?" And then I realized that she probably knew nothing about asexuals (which is why I was comfortable making the joke) and she probably thought I was referring to the bisexual flag. Extreme awkwardness ensued.

• Like 16

13 hours ago, Spud said:

Hey guys what happened to this amazing thread? :P

So this is more of an ace moment, but it kind of applies to just non-straightness in general. So when I got my hair dyed (purple) I kind of awkwardly said to my mom "I really like purple" as kind of a small joke to myself about being ace. And then she gave me this weird look and said, "you know what purple stands for, right?" And then I realized that she probably knew nothing about asexuals (which is why I was comfortable making the joke) and she probably thought I was referring to the bisexual flag. Extreme awkwardness ensued.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0cnqsLRzPwX

• Like 2

Not sure if this is an aro or ace moment, but here goes: We were playing apples to apples. My brother, who was in his mid twenties, was the judge, and the green card was "hot." One of the cards was "My first kiss," and after my brother read the cards he said "It's my first kiss, hands down!"

I was shocked. My brother. Had a first kiss. He had had several girlfriends by that time, so of course he did! But it had never occurred to me. 

A few months ago, I was telling my (alloromantic, allosexual) friend this story. He thought it was hilarious. But it didn't occur to me then, and not until very recently, that HE probably had a first kiss too! As much as I know most people are romantic, I still forget that all the time. 

• Like 15

10 hours ago, Quinoa said:

Not sure if this is an aro or ace moment, but here goes: We were playing apples to apples. My brother, who was in his mid twenties, was the judge, and the green card was "hot." One of the cards was "My first kiss," and after my brother read the cards he said "It's my first kiss, hands down!"

I was shocked. My brother. Had a first kiss. He had had several girlfriends by that time, so of course he did! But it had never occurred to me. 

A few months ago, I was telling my (alloromantic, allosexual) friend this story. He thought it was hilarious. But it didn't occur to me then, and not until very recently, that HE probably had a first kiss too! As much as I know most people are romantic, I still forget that all the time. 

Oh man, I get that all the time, I'm so glad someone can relate!

All my friends will talk about their first kiss, it wasn't so bad when I was younger (12,13...) and many of them hadn't been in a relationship, but now, I kinda forget that everyone else seems to have passed that point...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Simowl said:

Oh man, I get that all the time, I'm so glad someone can relate!

All my friends will talk about their first kiss, it wasn't so bad when I was younger (12,13...) and many of them hadn't been in a relationship, but now, I kinda forget that everyone else seems to have passed that point...

I remember talking to someone about kissing. They're an extremely romantic person, so much so I managed to get 4 aro bingo spaces in one conversation with them xD. But anyway, I remember saying to them that kissing just seems incredibly boring to me. I also said that I'd probably do a bunch of other things which might annoy the person I'm kissing just to get at least some enjoyment out of it. Although, this is all hypothetical as I haven't actually kissed anyone before xD. I don't plan on it any time soon either.

Also, @DannyFenton123 grats on 500 posts.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

I remember talking to someone about kissing. They're an extremely romantic person, so much so I managed to get 4 aro bingo spaces in one conversation with them xD. But anyway, I remember saying to them that kissing just seems incredibly boring to me. I also said that I'd probably do a bunch of other things which might annoy the person I'm kissing just to get at least some enjoyment out of it. Although, this is all hypothetical as I haven't actually kissed anyone before xD. I don't plan on it any time soon either.

Also, @DannyFenton123 grats on 500 posts.

I have and I can confirm that kissing sucks (at least for me anyway). It was sad for me because I always thought kissing was supposed to be this amazing thing and it's just so boring and weird. I remember when I told my sister this I definitely got a couple of bingo spaces haha

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Dodgypotato said:

I don't understand what could possibly compel a person to stick their tongue in someone else's mouth. Or suck their lip.

Have you ever seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Have you ever seen the slo-mo kissing scenes in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I swear they're trying to eat the other person's mouth and not doing any other motion. No pucker, no tongue, just biting!

• Like 7

On 4/9/2016 at 0:36 PM, Spud said:

On the topic of phone numbers, I always get paranoid now when someone I just met who isn't clearly my friend asks for my phone number. I had some random person at a competition ask for it, and I was only okay with it because they asked everyone else in my group for theirs, too. Society has made me paranoid!

I feel like if someone was obviously flirting with me (hasn't happened yet), I would be totally oblivious and probably be excited because someone took the time to talk to me :3

One time this douchebag I know asked me for my number, and I felt uncomfortable but he wasn't doing anything sexual or romantic, and I thought I should give him a chance because we were both "working" (unpaid) at a summer camp as leaders-in-training, and I had been pretty harsh on him earlier. Later that day, he asked me out via text. It was very uncomfortable for me. :(

• Like 6

Okay this is a pretty bad aro moment. (sorry its long)

I had my exam not long ago and was going to analyse a story called "love story" (it's not about love but about a women who get thrown out of her apartment).

at some point my teacher ask. "so what about her relationships?" 

now the thing is she had 1 ex bf but its hardly mentioned exept on a few lines after she

mastrubated thinking of some fantasy with 2 women and a man watching.

then afterward she say she once had a boyfriend from a subculture and that he accepted that she did not like to be naked infront of him. she also said they were kinda like the brothers from __* (a childhood book) and was supposed to move in together but then he changed his mind and (I think as far as I remember moved in with someone else?)

So out from this text I had to analyse what type of relationship she had. Since I knew the author previously had wrote a simular story with a woman being with a guy from a subculture who was unhealthy and lead to drugabuse. I analysed the story the same way said she did not have a good relationships with him and was probably doing drugs.

apperently it was correct that she did not have a good relationship but I also had to prove it out from what I mentioned above. I said the drug thing was because she imagined that insects were talking to her, and also in the end when she was to be thrown out there was a doctor and she was decribed like "one of these kinds".

the relationship part was harder

my teacher kept comming with hints asking about how she decribed the relationships like brothers, or if it was normal not to be naked with your boyfriend. I said she was not feeling confident since she did not want to be naked infront of him, I also said their relationships decribed as "brothers from a childbook" sounded strange, and if she really loved him she might had mastrubated thinking of him and not something complitely different. my teacher agreed and mention that their relationship wasn't real.

All this crap was complitely opposite of what I feel. I think it was pretty cool her bf would accept her bondaries if she did not want to be naked with him, I also think the "brother from a childbook" sounded like they could have a pretty cool QPR or something and maybe the fact he left was actually the same reason why many allos leave aro people for "real relationships" but while I thought all that I know rule nr 101 is NEVER to analyse any stories into lgbt+ material unless you want to get really bad grades specially when you teacher dont seams to understand that aro or ace exist, so I just said all the freudish things I believed would give me a good grade. 

now it didnt really bother me at first cause I knew I was just saying it for my grade sake and didnt mean it. and I actually did get a pretty good grade, but I was told by my teacher that one of the mistake I made was to talk to much about drugs. he said. 

"there is no evidence that she was on drugs, the point is she is mental ill, and the person comming for her in the end are probably going to get her into a mental hospital"

now i'm realising that I got my good grades because I pretended to think that aro&ace people are strange and non-sexual/non-romantic relationship arnt real or healthy.

not to mention I would had got even better grades if I also implied they also were mental ill.

my parents are of course happy I got good grades, but it feels more like "congratulation you passed the hetro-cis-amatonormative test"  pff

• Like 15
  • Angry 2

So I watched the movie Thor (the marvel one) a couple of months ago and I didn't realise there was a romantic subplot in that movie until there was a kissing scene. Honestly, the romantic subplot was completely unnecessary and added nothing to the movie. Seriously, if they got rid of that scene and a couple of lines of dialogue after that scene and it would have taken nothing away from the movie. It's an action movie, why does it need a romantic subplot?!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

So I watched the movie Thor (the marvel one) a couple of months ago and I didn't realise there was a romantic subplot in that movie until there was a kissing scene. Honestly, the romantic subplot was completely unnecessary and added nothing to the movie. Seriously, if they got rid of that scene and a couple of lines of dialogue after that scene and it would have taken nothing away from the movie. It's an action movie, why does it need a romantic subplot?!

I think Marvel has been quite decent about that. Stuff like Stark/Pepper Potts worked because it felt organic, they didn't even get together until the second (?) movie and even then the romance wasn't a huge part of the film.

Jane Foster has always been the thing I really hated about the Thor films.

I mean, you're a "world famous astrophysicist." You are literally taken across the cosmos to a world which humanity has never seen and yet she doesn't even seem to give a crap. You'd think any scientist would be rushing to gather any little bit of info about this new world but nope. Even in Thor 1 she was completely pointless and I also wish they would have left out the romance.

• Like 6

On 6/18/2016 at 0:12 AM, Louis Hypo said:

Have you ever seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Have you ever seen the slo-mo kissing scenes in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I swear they're trying to eat the other person's mouth and not doing any other motion. No pucker, no tongue, just biting!

Speaking of, does anyone else here prefer 'biting' each other's necks to lip kissing? :D

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vega said:

I think Marvel has been quite decent about that. Stuff like Stark/Pepper Potts worked because it felt organic, they didn't even get together until the second (?) movie and even then the romance wasn't a huge part of the film.

Jane Foster has always been the thing I really hated about the Thor films.

I mean, you're a "world famous astrophysicist." You are literally taken across the cosmos to a world which humanity has never seen and yet she doesn't even seem to give a crap. You'd think any scientist would be rushing to gather any little bit of info about this new world but nope. Even in Thor 1 she was completely pointless and I also wish they would have left out the romance.

Correction: Marvel had been decent about it...and then Age of Ultron and Civil War happened. (I will never stop being salty about what happened in Age of Ultron.)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Correction: Marvel had been decrnt abount it...and then Age of Ultron and Civil War happened. (I will never stop being salty about what happened in Age of Ultron.)

Yeah pretty much. I'll never understand who thought Ultron's pointless romance was a good idea. Especially when the (at the time) only female Avenger was shoved into a romantic relationship.
What happened in Civil War? Was it just the slightly creepy Steve-hooks-up-with-girlfriend's-grandniece thing?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Vega said:

Yeah pretty much. I'll never understand who thought Ultron's pointless romance was a good idea. Especially when the (at the time) only female Avenger was shoved into a romantic relationship.

It's almost like movie producers have to check a "romantic relationship" box. Regardless of if it makes the slightest sense.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vega said:

What happened in Civil War? Was it just the slightly creepy Steve-hooks-up-with-girlfriend's-grandniece thing?

Yes. The most pointless half-arsed romantic sub-subplot I've ever seen. They literally interacted TWICE. There was absolutely no reason for that to be a thing, ever. Plot relevance? Nope. Character development? Nope. Something that anybody would have ever shipped before it actually happened? Nope. Introduction of a vaguely important character? Nope. Any relevance whatsoever to pre-existing canon? To the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge, nope. That leaves exactly ZERO compelling and valid reasons for that to be included at all.

Sorry, I get very ranty about Marvel movies in general in this respect.

• Like 6

My romo ace friend and I were watching this miniseries called "Dramaworld" where a girl had to go into a tv show and make sure the main couple fell in love, and the Big Rule was that she wasn't supposed to fall in love with the Leading Man. When they say this rule in the show I comment that if it was me that wouldn't be a problem and she turns to me and goes

"Oh yeah right, you would totally fall for him"

And I'm thinking to myself 'Girl, you know I'm aro, why are you like this???' :|

• Like 9
  • Angry 2

6 hours ago, hangryeowyn said:

My romo ace friend and I were watching this miniseries called "Dramaworld" where a girl had to go into a tv show and make sure the main couple fell in love, and the Big Rule was that she wasn't supposed to fall in love with the Leading Man. When they say this rule in the show I comment that if it was me that wouldn't be a problem and she turns to me and goes

"Oh yeah right, you would totally fall for him"

And I'm thinking to myself 'Girl, you know I'm aro, why are you like this???' :|

Wow, it's very weird that she did that. I'm sorry.

• Like 4