Aromantic Moments

My best friend (talking to me and another friend): "I've had a crush on pretty much all of my friends at one point"

Me: "Errrrrr"

My best friend continues: "Oh and if I were to have a crush on one of my friends it would be Spud"

Me: "ERRRRRRRRRRRR"

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Spud said:

My best friend (talking to me and another friend): "I've had a crush on pretty much all of my friends at one point"

Me: "Errrrrr"

My best friend continues: "Oh and if I were to have a crush on one of my friends it would be Spud"

Me: "ERRRRRRRRRRRR"

One of my friends decided to tell me the same thing and I'm just...*internally screaming* *metaphorically dying*

• Like 6

On Monday, 16 May 2016 at 5:27 AM, Simowl said:

Right now me and my friends are trying to figure out one of our friend's crush... He's had like 5 crushes since September

just

how

I don't get it

I'm really hoping they don't ask me about crushes :P

My friend had three crushes... AT THE SAME TIME. How does THAT happen!?

• Like 4

On 5/5/2016 at 4:23 PM, Spud said:

I have to read Romeo and Juliet next year for ninth grade. I hope I won't get this assignment because apparently it seems popular O_o

My assignment for freshman English when we read R&J was to participate in a Facebook group (well, fake educational Facebook, but you get the point) where we were all given characters to portray and interact with everyone like we were that character. I got Prince Escalus, which was fitting, because he's just sitting around there pointing out how ridiculous the entire thing is while everyone else is running around killing each other and making fools out of themselves. Of course, the online interactions that were supposed to at least be vaguely plausible with respect to how the characters act in the play wound up with all the popular kids launching a rebellion against me, led by Benvolio or Mercutio (I don't remember which), who was being represented by this guy who was just generally an aggravating person in the way that 9th graders often are, so that was that.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Another recent one I forgot about: my university has a thing where you can go and be a guinea pig for psychological studies and get paid, so I did a bunch of those last week. One of them involved a question-and-answer thing where I was the one getting asked the questions, and one of the preset questions to be asked was "what would your ideal romantic partner be like?" Needless to say, I gave the experimenter a piece of my mind as politely as possible. And added it to the "other comments" section of the experiment feedback form. And nagged the experimenter about it a little more. And ranted about it to a friend who had also taken the same study--and, apparently, had had to keep from cracking up when she was asked that question because of the mental image of my probable reaction.
So yeah. I was just ever so slightly salty about that.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

*Assignment to find songs that describe Romeo from Romeo and Juliet*

*Scratches head*

*Looks up romantic songs*

I am not ready for this madness.

Look up songs about people doing really dumb things for love? :P

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

*Scratches head*

If having a bit of direction is any help, you want a song about a hopeless romantic, pining and probably with some mentions of sex (since R and J is basicly full of sex jokes).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DannyFenton123 said:

*Scratches head*

Maybe it would be easier to look at it from a different (non-romantic) angle?  The play isn't really about romance at all--the love story is just a catalyst.  It's about the devastating effects of hatred and prejudice.  It's about how the very people who were supposed to be guiding and protecting what was most precious to them--their children--were in fact the cause of their destruction due to the families' own blind hatred.  Viewed from this lens, Romeo (and Juliet) was just a kid who was sacrificed at the alter of prejudice.  His family wouldn't listen to what he had to say and pushed him further and further, not realizing the damage they were doing by forcing their own views onto him.  He refused to buy into their prejudice and fought it, but ended up losing out in the end because he was a kid with little power.  

(Sorry, I'm a huge Shakespeare fan--I'll stop going on about it now :))

• Like 15

One of my friends: "I would consider it if you asked me out."

Me: ........ Thinking: 'But I've already told you I'm aromantic???'

............... Out loud: "....... Umm..." *gives her a 'what are you trying to say?' look*

Her: "Ahhhhh nevermind! Forget I said it!"

Me: "Okay!"

???? I am so confused. She seems very desperate! She previously told me that she'd probably go out with anyone if they asked. Why would you be that desperate for someone to date???

• Like 6

For some ungodly reason, my dorm has a subscription to Cosmopolitan, and the new issue came in yesterday. As is the custom, someone immediately picked it up and started reading it aloud in the common room, and there was a quiz on attitudes toward romance, which we all took collectively. The questions were all about how you would react to romantic situations like a couple PDAing in Starbucks or a celebrity couple breaking up, with three multiple-choice options to where one was negative, one was slightly positive, and one was extremely positive. Because the negative ones were often worded in the most amusing way, everyone picked the negative ones as a joke. At the end of the quiz, the conclusion was that we all hated romance and needed to "do some self-searching to find our happiness", because, you know, we'll never find a man like that. -_- Then I just said loudly, "I've already found my happiness, and that's being a romance-repulsed aro!", because I don't know about the rest of the room, but that was certainly how I interpreted the description given at the end of the quiz...everyone else was joking about picking the negative options, but I certainly wasn't! 

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

For some ungodly reason, my dorm has a subscription to Cosmopolitan, and the new issue came in yesterday. As is the custom, someone immediately picked it up and started reading it aloud in the common room, and there was a quiz on attitudes toward romance, which we all took collectively. The questions were all about how you would react to romantic situations like a couple PDAing in Starbucks or a celebrity couple breaking up, with three multiple-choice options to where one was negative, one was slightly positive, and one was extremely positive. Because the negative ones were often worded in the most amusing way, everyone picked the negative ones as a joke. At the end of the quiz, the conclusion was that we all hated romance and needed to "do some self-searching to find our happiness", because, you know, we'll never find a man like that. -_- Then I just said loudly, "I've already found my happiness, and that's being a romance-repulsed aro!", because I don't know about the rest of the room, but that was certainly how I interpreted the description given at the end of the quiz...everyone else was joking about picking the negative options, but I certainly wasn't! 

I swear if Cosmo is good for anything, it's hilariously terrible quizzes and articles. :P

• Like 10

On 8-4-2016 at 3:35 PM, Cassiopeia said:

Also allo people who seem to know my feelings better than I do.

The time a friend insisted I must have a crush on a friend of mine. Apparently she could tell by 'the way I was looking at her'. All this because that same friend asked me if I'd ever wondered what it'd be like to have a girlfriend, and specifically that one friend. So I imagined it for a bit but couldn't and I was like 'I mean, I guess I've thought about it' and it literally spun into her assuming I must have a crush on her. Got 19 year old, still unaware of aro/ace me VERY confused for a while. It literally turned into me having a couple of romantic dreams about me and that friend, probably because the thought was occupying my mind so much (me being really confused and all that xD). Good thing i'm not exactly romance repulsed? I was so annoyed by it though. I was like 'YO BRAIN CAN YOU NOT THIS WHOLE FIGURING THIS OUT THING IS ANNOYING ENOUGH DURING DAYTIME' (come to think of it, just the fact that I woke up going 'ugh, not again' rather than 'OMG IT WAS JUST A DREAM :( ' should PROBABLY have been a giveaway. xD) 

ALSO:

Every single time when I was going out as a teenager.

My mum: *jokingly* no boys!

And I was just always like 'yea no worries lol'

• Like 8

Guest Apple Cake

I just remembered these pair of dreams I had months ago. Not exactly aro moments, but it's an... interesting story? Ok so once I dreamed that this guy in my school (who I really dislike) was my... boyfriend. Ewgh. Actually, all I can remember is that he gave me presents and carried my stuff around. I also had this other dream where I was at a mall and there were a girl and her (mean) boyfriend working in one of the stores. As the dream went by, the girl was my girlfriend? It wasn't as bad as the other dream. Now that I think of it, it wasn't so romantic. I just remember caring about her and talking to her and walking around town with her and that stuff. Like friends. But I know she was supposed to be my girlfriend because... well I think in one moment she broke up with her boyfriend and... yeah that's the worst part of the dream. The final. We went to the mall were we first met, I can't remember why, and when we were in the car she realized she forgot something in the store where she used to work with her boyfriend. I was worried her ex would do something bad to her and she told me not to worry, then I offered to go with her but she said she was ok alone so I just waited in the car. And then there was an explosion at the mall! (Guess who did it? Evil ex!) Yeah, I guess the girl died. It was sad

On 4 April 2016 at 2:27 AM, Spud said:

Additionally: When we are watching a play or something with romance for class.

A bunch of people are sitting and going "awwwww that's adorable" or "they're so cute" and I just sit there wondering why they're wasting their time kissing while they could be addressing the problem/plot.

I remember when we watched the Romeo + Juliet movie for English class and I was trying to figure out why everyone loved it because from a media standpoint it was cheesy and stupid as hell but from what I could gather

1) "it's so romantic"

2) "Leonardo DiCaprio is sooo hot"

• Like 4

I just remembered a couple of incredibly aromantic moments and had to share them here.

A couple of years ago I had an insane squish on this one guy and I thought I was in love with him. I remember talking to my friend at the time about my feelings for him and she was very insistent that there was no way I was in love with him. I remember getting mad and slamming the screen shut (we were on Skype) and thinking how could she know because she's a year younger than me. Turns out she knew my feelings better than I did!

When I was in kindy I had a best friend who I kind of had a qpr with. We were practically joined at the hip, we were always physically affectionate (we often kissed) and we even had a pretend wedding once (thanks heteronormativity) and everyone kept on calling him my boyfriend and poor five year old me was so confused because I didn't have a crush on him at all. Honestly, not much has changed haha

• Like 6

I think that one of the worst aspects of being aro is when you get asked out or someone flirts with you. If you just say "no" as your excuse, they keep trying because that "no" is obviously a "yes" somehow in their head. If you are comfortable coming out to them (even if you don't know them that well) and say that you are aro, they are not going to take you seriously. Maybe it's also because they ignore you and keep trying for whatever reason, but sometimes it's because people are not aware that aromanticism is a thing just because they are romantics and don't believe that there are people who are not. I think this is one of the rudest things you can do, not taking seriously someone's identity just because it's not the same as yours and therefore that person is confused or lying or crazy.

I don't know this is a random thought and it's so obvious but I wanted to share it anyway.

• Like 6
  • Angry 2

1 hour ago, Nowhere.girl said:

I think that one of the worst aspects of being aro is when you get asked out or someone flirts with you. If you just say "no" as your excuse, they keep trying because that "no" is obviously a "yes" somehow in their head. If you are comfortable coming out to them (even if you don't know them that well) and say that you are aro, they are not going to take you seriously. Maybe it's also because they ignore you and keep trying for whatever reason, but sometimes it's because people are not aware that aromanticism is a thing just because they are romantics and don't believe that there are people who are not. I think this is one of the rudest things you can do, not taking seriously someone's identity just because it's not the same as yours and therefore that person is confused or lying or crazy.

I don't know this is a random thought and it's so obvious but I wanted to share it anyway.

tbh if someone did the repeated trying thing to me (especially even after I've clearly stated 'not interested, never will be') I'd probably just verbally explode in their face at some point.

"HOW 'BOUT I'M NOT FRIGGIN' INTERESTED AND I'VE TOLD YOU THIS 3 MILLION TIMES NOW STOP FRIGGIN' ASKING!" Because seriously. When did we ever learn that sometimes, no means no? And not 'no but maybe later' xD Maybe that'd scare them off. Or I'd be labeled a b*tch. Probably the latter xD

I literally never get asked out though. I.. do not mind this :D

• Like 10

This isn't really an aro moment, but more of an awkward moment which was made awkward to me because of my aroness.

So it was my mum's birthday yesterday, so most of my family came over. Anyway, my mum was talking to my aunt about how I had to cook for my brother for a week because he is apparently incapable of doing so. I happened to be nearby, so my aunt says to me, "Being able to cook will make you good husband material". I just stood there nodding slowly and awkwardly acting as if I was totally planning on getting married in the future. Luckily they changed the subject and I was able to leave the conversation.

It's awkward moments like these that make me want to come out to my family, but then that would be awkward. I don't like being awkward, it's just too awkward for me.

• Like 8
  • Angry 2