Jump to content
DannyFenton123

Aromantic Moments

Recommended Posts

On 7/22/2016 at 6:58 PM, techno-trashcan said:

Being totally oblivious if other people have romantic feelings for me...

 

Or being extremely aware of it and trying to politely avoid their constant subtle flirting. <squirmmmmm> 

 

Edit: Even if they're very attractive to me, simply because I don't want anything to do with that romantic vibe.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2016 at 4:45 AM, xavo said:

I was at a friend's playing Truth or Dare (yes I am a child) and I got the following question: "who would you have a crush on if you could"

...

what

no


I don't understand why someone would WANT a crush on someone else. I mean, it's one thing if they happen to have a crush on someone, but why would someone think "I don't have a crush on this person, but I wish I did"??

I always worry that someone is going to ask me on a date and I won't know they are asking me on a date. Why won't people SAY if it's a date so I can avoid dates?

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, techno-trashcan said:

@comedyofaros consequently, not knowing how to turn them down and not hurt and lose them (if they're like a close friend) without coming out...

x10,000,000

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Person: "So, do you wanna go out sometime?"

Me: "... you mean like... outside...?"

  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

Person: "So, do you wanna go out sometime?"

Me: "... you mean like... outside...?"

 

"Look, if you could tell me what you really want - or if you're shy about it, you can write it down on a slip of paper and pass it to me in an envelope - but unless you really want to waste $55 on food I could cook myself and drinks we could get at the corner store, both for cheaper, and dispense with the silly pleasantries, and even be able to watch something on my computer for absolutely free..."

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well then. That feeling when two of the comics you follow on the same day have a romantically charged strip and you feel a little disconnected. 

 

this other one I'm following is on a plot line between two characters. and I am hoping that the direction the writer is going is down a close friendship path, not romance... so far they've taken it a long way without sending of any romance flags so I'm hopeful. but still nervous. 

 

although I confess I'm a little bit pleased that all three of these plots are between girls hehe. I feel represented or something. boys drool! teehee. (kidding, boys! you rock!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SwankyPants said:

well then. That feeling when two of the comics you follow on the same day have a romantically charged strip and you feel a little disconnected. 

 

this other one I'm following is on a plot line between two characters. and I am hoping that the direction the writer is going is down a close friendship path, not romance... so far they've taken it a long way without sending of any romance flags so I'm hopeful. but still nervous. 

 

although I confess I'm a little bit pleased that all three of these plots are between girls hehe. I feel represented or something. boys drool! teehee. (kidding, boys! you rock!)

:gasp: I was just going to post about this, because the same thing happened to me! I don't think they're the same comics, though, because only one of the romances is between girls (and it's definitely been written as a romance and not a friendship, unfortunately). The ones I was going to post about are Supernormal Step and Girl Genius, which ones do you read? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I typed, "Will aros ever be able to understand" on my phone and the suggestion that it gave me for the next word was "romance". It's learning...

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

:gasp: I was just going to post about this, because the same thing happened to me! I don't think they're the same comics, though, because only one of the romances is between girls (and it's definitely been written as a romance and not a friendship, unfortunately). The ones I was going to post about are Supernormal Step and Girl Genius, which ones do you read? 

nope lol. Misfile and Go Get a Roomie! are the two I was talking about. and the honorable mention is Questionable Content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2016 at 6:17 AM, SwankyPants said:

nope lol. Misfile and Go Get a Roomie! are the two I was talking about. and the honorable mention is Questionable Content. 

Misfile was one of the ones I was considering reading after I got caught up on Ignition Zero over the weekend, but I haven't started it yet. I've heard of the other two, but haven't looked into them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Finished Star Vs the Forces of Evil a few weeks ago*

 

That. Was. Amazing. I need to see what fanfiction people wrote on that amazing Season 1 finale!

 

https://www.fanfiction.net/cartoon/Star-Vs-The-Forces-of-Evil/ 

Don't worry about spoilers, guys, because the entire category is literally people shipping the two main characters which I think the writers confirmed to be forever platonic! One of the things I absolutely loved about the show :facepalm:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a young teen reading some book about puberty and crushes, and it said that sometimes people get heartbroken when their crush gets married. Of course, back then, I thought a "crush" meant you thought someone was cool and wanted to be their friend. I was so confused. So what if your crush got married? They can do what they want! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my apartmentmate recently subjected me to the movie Birdemic, which I really only agreed to because of the hilariously bad trailer with awfully animated birds and explosions. The movie itself spends probably 45 minutes on pointless exposition involving the main protagonists and their "romantic" date. At one point I got fed up and said, "I'm not here for straight people, I'm here for explosions!" 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

So my apartmentmate recently subjected me to the movie Birdemic, which I really only agreed to because of the hilariously bad trailer with awfully animated birds and explosions. The movie itself spends probably 45 minutes on pointless exposition involving the main protagonists and their "romantic" date. At one point I got fed up and said, "I'm not here for straight people, I'm here for explosions!" 


But did you at least get to the bit where the brids attack? Seriously, it's worth it to sit through all that awful introduction just for that one scene. One of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting reviews like this on your story:

 

"... Interesting question: What if a transformation (or inexplicable disappearance of his shirt) sparks a slight romantic interest from her?"

 

I wrote a story involving a werewolf, and it happened to include two characters that were commonly shipped together (despite an actually awesome scene in this cartoon where the two discussed their feelings and decided to remain the ultimate friends)

 

But the fact that this reviewer wants me to ship them together isn't what's surprising me. I'm just wondering how the heck a werewolf transformation/shirt removal is supposed to invoke romantic feelings O.o

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DannyFenton123 said:

Getting reviews like this on your story:

 

"... Interesting question: What if a transformation (or inexplicable disappearance of his shirt) sparks a slight romantic interest from her?"

 

I wrote a story involving a werewolf, and it happened to include two characters that were commonly shipped together (despite an actually awesome scene in this cartoon where the two discussed their feelings and decided to remain the ultimate friends)

 

But the fact that this reviewer wants me to ship them together isn't what's surprising me. I'm just wondering how the heck a werewolf transformation/shirt removal is supposed to invoke romantic feelings O.o

 

Kinda offtopic, Idk?

I once talked with another writer and mentioned that when I was 14 I wrote a story what includes an aromantic asexual charackter, without realizing it! What came from her of course? She started telling me how this char would be "incomplete, broken" and that "people wants to read about romance" that it was "neccessary for a good story" etc. I got so mad at her! And told her that I wasn't fucking broken or incomplete or boring just because I'm aro!

 

To be honest, it bothers me a lot that good stories almost always have this romance bullshit going on what is almost never connected to the story anyway -.- That's why I decided to write this story without romance ;)

 

  • Like 7
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LJ_84 said:

 

Kinda offtopic, Idk?

I once talked with another writer and mentioned that when I was 14 I wrote a story what includes an aromantic asexual charackter, without realizing it! What came from her of course? She started telling me how this char would be "incomplete, broken" and that "people wants to read about romance" that it was "neccessary for a good story" etc. I got so mad at her! And told her that I wasn't fucking broken or incomplete or boring just because I'm aro!

 

To be honest, it bothers me a lot that good stories almost always have this romance bullshit going on what is almost never connected to the story anyway -.- That's why I decided to write this story without romance ;)

 

Seriously? Wow, that's awful, I'm glad you told her off! Also, I've totally written something aro ace related before I discovered my orientation; it was a one-chapter story where I literally had two characters look like they're about to kiss after an argument... but it turns out they were both just sneezing at the same time. They then vowed to be best friends from then on and that was the end. Of course it wasn't a perfect representation by any means, but it was totally born out of my frustration for all the romance shoved in my face xD

 

I hate those romance subplots in an otherwise good story too. I wouldn't mind so much if there were stories without romance, but they're few and far between and usually nowhere near the mainstream. So I guess I'm just writing my own non-romance fiction :P

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had another experience where I heard that a friend had a crush on someone and it surprised me because it had never occurred to me that he would have crushes.

 

It's. Still. Happening. I just can't get it through my head that it's normal for most people to have crushes sometimes. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2016 at 5:00 AM, Quinoa said:

I was a young teen reading some book about puberty and crushes, and it said that sometimes people get heartbroken when their crush gets married. Of course, back then, I thought a "crush" meant you thought someone was cool and wanted to be their friend. I was so confused. So what if your crush got married? They can do what they want! 

This can still  make sense if you are aro. Because they may well spend all of their time with their spouse and thus you no longer have a friend.
Even if they still want you as a friend they might refuse to do certain things with you (because you are married) or insist of telling you how wonderful being married is.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mark said:

This can still  make sense if you are aro. Because they may well spend all of their time with their spouse and thus you no longer have a friend.
Even if they still want you as a friend they might refuse to do certain things with you (because you are married) or insist of telling you how wonderful being married is.

You're right. But this was about celebrity crushes, who are unlikely to be your friends anyway. Also, I was about 12 at the time and not experienced with what tends to happen when friends get into relationships. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hehe a friend said something to me that basically confirmed they didn't have romantic feelings for me. and i was happy lol! i feel kinda silly but. i am glad to know that it's ok to be aromantic. 

 

 

but... well, they also said that they don't know if they'll keep being my friend because, their life is about to change and might be too demanding to keep a long distance friendship going. and i felt all lonely for that. :( I know they like being my friend. so how hard is it to make sure we still are friends? if they did have romantic feelings for me, they'd want that! I almost feel insulted. lol. 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24.8.2016 at 6:18 PM, cute kitty Meow! Mewo! said:

but... well, they also said that they don't know if they'll keep being my friend because, their life is about to change and might be too demanding to keep a long distance friendship going. and i felt all lonely for that. :( I know they like being my friend. so how hard is it to make sure we still are friends? if they did have romantic feelings for me, they'd want that! I almost feel insulted. lol. 

 

Well, long distance friendships take a lot of effort, and if you're too busy it's hard to really keep up with someone you rarely see...

But yeah, I also think it's worth a try, It might work out after all and friends are generally awesome :3

 And it's also an unfortunate truth that romance is often viewed as more importand than friendship.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...