Ideal living situation.

Mark

Ideal living arrangement  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, nolovejustlust said:

Perhaps it's early or I lack imagination, but doesn't sharing a bed with one person suggest a romantic relationship? 

Not necessarily. I suppose it can be the case in a sexual context too. Or other, if people want a physical intimacy.

But personnaly I lack of imagination to know how this is agreable. I like a big bed for myself alone. ?

I said something else because I don't really know. Living with more than one person sounds interesting, but maybe tiresome. I could also see myself alone with a child. I may adopt someday.

I don't think about these things; I can fantacize about things I want to do, but not about where I live and with who.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nonmerci said:

Not necessarily. I suppose it can be the case in a sexual context too. Or other, if people want a physical intimacy.

But personnaly I lack of imagination to know how this is agreable. I like a big bed for myself alone. ?

Living together as sexual partners without someone catching feelings is something I've never seen and I have trouble imagining. 

Well, if this is two aro allos, this is possible. And for the rest I won't speak, I know that aro allos struggle with this, but maybe someone here will tell me they succeeded to find an alloro Partner who don't catch feeling?

• Like 5

My ideal living situation would be communal, preferably with people who share a common purpose. I think if I was born in another time and place a monastery life could appeal to me. I would love if there were "atheist monestaries" maybe run by humanist organizations. Or some green sustainable living ones.

I also see the appeal of living on my own though. Currently I have two lodgers living with me. We're not really friends, cause we have very different lives and interests, but we get along well. There are advantages to not living alone but some disadvantages too

Which option did you pick @Mark
?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, nolovejustlust said:

Perhaps it's early or I lack imagination, but doesn't sharing a bed with one person suggest a romantic relationship? 

It's certainly a romantic coded idea. But for some people in may be a sexual or other physical intimacy thing. Similarly for wanting to share a bed with two or more people.

29 minutes ago, Holmbo said:

My ideal living situation would be communal, preferably with people who share a common purpose. I think if I was born in another time and place a monastery life could appeal to me. I would love if there were "atheist monestaries" maybe run by humanist organizations. Or some green sustainable living ones.

I also see the appeal of living on my own though. Currently I have two lodgers living with me. We're not really friends, cause we have very different lives and interests, but we get along well. There are advantages to not living alone but some disadvantages too

Which option did you pick @Mark
?

I was thinking that this would come under "group". Though plausibly a large group.
Which of the group options would depend on if this were separate rooms or some kind of dormitory.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mark said:

It's certainly a romantic coded idea. But for some people in may be a sexual or other physical intimacy thing. Similarly for wanting to share a bed with two or more people.

Exactly my sentiments. Growing up, I used to share a bed with one friend everytime when we had a sleepover and I slept next to my roommate (and friend) one night where I coudn't sleep because of nigthmares. It's quite normal for me to sleep next to people I care about and like. As child, I used to sleep next to my parents often, to be honest I still do that when I visit them (well, next to my father but there is enough space between us). I don't know, it's just a natural thing to me.
I love my sleeping space but if someone would want to sleep next to me, I would not have a problem with it. I would love to live with several people together where everyone can have their own space but everyone can also come by whenever they like. It's important to keep the balance between closeness and distance. Having people to cuddle with and share physical affection (non-sexual and sexual) is also something I am very fond of.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Mark said:

It's certainly a romantic coded idea. But for some people in may be a sexual or other physical intimacy thing. 

Sure. Theoretically, anything's possible. It's just difficult for me to imagine two sexual partners living and sleeping together in the same bed day in and day out and enmeshing their lives in the world we live in without romantic feelings developing at some point.

I chose one other person, with separate sleeping arrangements. Because although I like being cozy with people, sharing a bed is something I’ve never understood the appeal of. Especially on a nightly basis, it seems sort of cumbersome. And I like my personal space. Someone could be invited into that personal space from time to time, but not as a given. Actually, funnily enough, my parents (who are still married) sleep in separate rooms, as did my grandpa and his second wife. So I guess it’s a common enough preference in my family, though a little different in my case since it’d be a qpr, wherein the person is ideally like a longterm close roommate. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NotHeartless said:

I love my sleeping space but if someone would want to sleep next to me, I'd don't have a problem with it. I would love to live with several people together where everyone can have their own space but everyone can also come by whenever they like. It's important to keep the balanace between closeness and distance. Having people to cuddle with and share physical affection (non-sexual and sexual) is also something I am very fond of.

This is a very nice sentiment. Ditto :)

• Like 2

On my own for the most part ,with someone that can stay over every now and then as a long term arrangement (seperate sleeping spaces obviously).

The idea of someone else being in the same living space as I am daily freaks me out a little (okay more than a little),even if the person does give me personal space. 

I would be okay with staying on my own long term (assuming practicalities do not get in the way) should the "right" friend not come along though. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mark said:

I was thinking that this would come under "group". Though plausibly a large group.
Which of the group options would depend on if this were separate rooms or some kind of dormitory.

Yeah I picked group with separate bedrooms. I think it  would work best if everyone had a small room of their own for privacy.

I chose the group with a shared bedroom, because the most ideal thing for me would be to live with my two best friends. We'd definitely be compatible to live together. But whether or not we shared a room, would be based mostly on their preference and on the situation.

Edit: Wanting a shared bedroom, for me, isn't romantic or sexual. It's been years since I've slept in a bed alone, much less a room alone, so it's just familial and platonic for me.

• Like 1

I would prefer to live alone, maybe with a few pets. I live with one other adult right now and we share living space but we do have our seperate bedrooms. My roommate (housemate..?) was on a 2 month holiday earlier this year and I loved being completely on my own. I like having social contact, but it does have to be on my terms and that is not really achievable when you live in one house. 

• Like 1

For the longest time I just wanted it to be me and one best friend. Who this best friend might be changed over time, at first is was my brother, then it was a different person,  and then those two started dating and long story short, I don't talk to either of them. But my new best friend suggested the idea of him and his girlfriend/future wife and I getting a place together,  and that actually sounds better than my original plan did. It would be so perfect.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think I'd be comfortable with the right person sharing a bed, but either a house by myself or a house with 2-3 people I consider close friends, or potentially qprs could be really fun imo.

I checked other and there were a few reasons why: 1. idk what my ideal living situation would be, i like to have other people easily accessible, but i have to have my space too... i think living alone wouldn't be a good option for me, 2. three or more people living with me would be way too many; one could be too little, though sounds doable, two could be really nice, 3. bed sharing =/= room sharing and having the option to sleep beside someone is nice sometimes, but sometimes only and i need space that is only mine

a shared apartment with friends sounds nice

I don't think it's an issue with my aromanticism, but with my touch aversion, I don't want anyone near me usually. I am between being solo or having one other person (a partner) and having separate beds.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:38 PM, nonmerci said:

Well, if this is two aro allos, this is possible. And for the rest I won't speak, I know that aro allos struggle with this, but maybe someone here will tell me they succeeded to find an alloro Partner who don't catch feeling?

two allo aros? lol I find it hard finding other allo aros :/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TripleA said:

two allo aros? lol I find it hard finding other allo aros 

Yeah it is hard to find aro irl (never did I think, though I was glad to fond one person who know what it is once). I think sometimes it would be nice to have a website to make irl meeting (asexuals have their own dating website, asexualitic; it would be nice to have an équivalence for aro, minus the satin part (or maybe dating can be only sexual for allo aro?  I don't know).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think my ideal situation would be living with a QPP (or QPPs?). I would prefer separate rooms, or at least separate beds, but it would still be nice to share a bed every so often.

Right now I rent a place with a few friends and I'm pretty happy with it.

• 1 month later...