Being naked in front of others?

Philbo Wiseroot

I'm just generally uncomfortable with my body most of the time, both because of my weight (I'm working on fixing that) and sometimes gender dysphoria (curse you gender fluidity).  I'm even uncomfortable taking my shirt off around others despite being male, so needless to say locker room situations have always been very uncomfortable for me.

Only if it were a doctor, and even then never anything between the waist and thigh. D:

I've had to show my dermatologist my legs and back and stuff and that was bad enough - I've gotten used to that though. Only ever a doctor who I'm confident would be professional and other stuff...

I guess this is more related to asexuality, as nudity is traditionally seen as a sexual thing... And also can be a gender thing, but I don't really have any issues with that either.

Still, its an intimate situation, but nothing negative.

I got some silly insecurities, but in general I am comfortable with nudity. 

• Like 2

I kind of don't mind, I sometimes have to remind myself to mind, actually. I get mild body dysphoria and I prefer wearing stuff that makes my chest look flat, but over all I have no problem with it. 

As an artist both in 3D and 2D, I happen to look at a lot of naked (and skinless xD) people for references and study's all the time, so I don't see anything inherently sexual in nudity alone. 

• Like 3

Hmm. It's confusing for me.

On the one hand, I don't really mind being seen naked. On the other hand, if I've been self-harming regularly, I don't exactly want to shove a lovely mosaic of large wounds in people's faces. Even my scars tend to be.....personal for me. It's not the skin--it's the reveal of wounds. A couple months ago I got a cut on my neck and I ended up surprised at how uncomfortable I suddenly was at my neck showing; now that it's healed, I have no issue with it.

I don't see anything sexual with nudity, especially as an artist who's friends with artists. Even if it were sexual, I feel like I probably wouldn't mind.

I used to have no problem with getting completely nonsexual massages a few times a year while 100% butt-naked. Pain relief! It's great! Then there was some stuff with a mandatory-disclosure masseuse, and, well, now I'm more than a little freaked out about it....but again, it's not the skin, but the knowledge of self-injury and the invasion of privacy, that frightens me off.

However, I do mind, very much, seeing my /own/ naked body. It makes me want to rip off my skin (thanks, dysphoria).

It should be noted I have the same issue with looking at most parts of my body, including things it'd be weird to cover, like my face and hands (I wore fingerless gloves for a while to help cover my hands, and I've worn hand flower jewelry at other times for similar reasons). If you take other people's reactions out of the equation, I care about showing my butt as much as I would showing my knee--I don't particularly care about other people seeing either unless there's a cut on them, and I personally would prefer to see neither.

• Like 5

Although I do generally consider myself as asexual, I do have to say that I'm still a little confused. It's hard say if this sexual attraction or just fetishism, but I have always held some sort of... let's say "erotic appreciation" for the male form. The idea of being naked and having close contact with another guy does sound appealing to me, but the idea of having sex... not so much. Ideally I'd like to be naked with another guy who feels the same way as me because I don't know how I would deal with someone who only sees being naked and snuggling as a means to and end (sex) rather than an end in itself.

With all of that being said, I've never been anywhere close to actually getting naked with other people and in practical life. I always try to be modest. I couldn't ever imagine people I already know as being naked and the idea of them being naked or me being naked around them makes me a bit uncomfortable.

9 hours ago, Jade said:

Hmm. It's confusing for me.

On the one hand, I don't really mind being seen naked. On the other hand, if I've been self-harming regularly, I don't exactly want to shove a lovely mosaic of large wounds in people's faces. Even my scars tend to be.....personal for me. It's not the skin--it's the reveal of wounds. A couple months ago I got a cut on my neck and I ended up surprised at how uncomfortable I suddenly was at my neck showing; now that it's healed, I have no issue with it.

I don't see anything sexual with nudity, especially as an artist who's friends with artists. Even if it were sexual, I feel like I probably wouldn't mind.

I used to have no problem with getting completely nonsexual massages a few times a year while 100% butt-naked. Pain relief! It's great! Then there was some stuff with a mandatory-disclosure masseuse, and, well, now I'm more than a little freaked out about it....but again, it's not the skin, but the knowledge of self-injury and the invasion of privacy, that frightens me off.

However, I do mind, very much, seeing my /own/ naked body. It makes me want to rip off my skin (thanks, dysphoria).

It should be noted I have the same issue with looking at most parts of my body, including things it'd be weird to cover, like my face and hands (I wore fingerless gloves for a while to help cover my hands, and I've worn hand flower jewelry at other times for similar reasons). If you take other people's reactions out of the equation, I care about showing my butt as much as I would showing my knee--I don't particularly care about other people seeing either unless there's a cut on them, and I personally would prefer to see neither.

I have heavy scarring on my left arm from a burn.  It runs from my wrist almost to my shoulder.  It's blotchy, has an odd texture, and is a mix of reddened, vascular surface scarring and thick, white, stiff patches of much deeper scarring that pull and wrinkle oddly when I move my arm.  I usually wear shirts with longish, loose sleeves in order to conceal it somewhat, but my work uniform shirt is short sleeved and I often catch people staring.  The burn took 3 months to fully heal, and after it healed, I was *very* conscious of it and of other peoples' reaction to it.  Because it was new scarring, it was very obvious.  For years, I wore only long-sleeved shirts and only uncovered it to bathe and change clothing.

Now, about 9 years after the burn, I'm so much more at ease about it.  Of course, 9 years on, it has faded somewhat, not quite as red, and some of the thick white scarring has receded and looks a bit closer to normal skin.  I no longer really care if people stare or ask questions (I'd rather they ask questions than jump to some ill-informed conclusion).

I used to self-injure.... and I agree with you about how incredibly vulnerable and uncomfortable it is to reveal those wounds to another person, especially someone who doesn't know/understand self-injury.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jade said:

Yeah, I get this. I wouldn't care about being naked but for the scars. I'm incredibly uncomfortable unless I have something covering my legs from waist to ankle. There's also a scar on my arm and even though I've been able to pass it off as some childhood accident, I still much prefer wearing long sleeves.

• Like 2

I have no problem with it. In fact I'd be fine with nakedness being less of a taboo. For example I wish I didn't have to wear swim wear at the beach. Skinny dipping is much nicer and one wouldn't have to worry about carrying around wet clothes or struggling to change inside a towel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suffered from heavy body dysphoria in the past but since my mental condition got better, I worked on my body and took steps towards transitioning...
I'm rather shameless when it comes to my body and being naked. With other people I'm either indifferent or enjoy catching a glimpse.
As drawing is my passion I also drew naked people or used them as models. In my opinion there is nothing to be ashamed about the human figure.