Talk About Your Squish

arotrash

Have a squish on anyone? Think someone is the coolest and you want to get to know them better? Anyone you know make you want to tackle them and scream "LET ME BE YOUR FRIIIEEEND!!!"? Like to imagine being QPPs with a certain someone?  Talk/gush about them here!

I, personally, need a separate place other than my usual to talk about my squish right now bc we're both on tumblr and if we ever get to the point of exchanging urls I don't want him to find me gushing about how much I want to be his friend >_> 

He is just so cool though??? Like, our personalities click so well and he's sweet and sarcastic at the same time and we have really similar, like, life goals. We have similar ethnic backgrounds, share a lot of interests, share a lot of the same political opinions, we even look kind of alike but we're different enough to still find each other interesting. It's like!!!!! We're so compatible as friends why are we not hanging out already how do I ask you to be my friend outside of work I want to Netflix and ACTUALLY chill with you and maybe cuddle if you're into that oh my god

• Like 9

I have a squish who reciprocates my platonic love...I hope it's okay if I gush? If not, let me know and I'll delete

Long story so collapsing

The first time we physically met was in an elevator. We had talked before, online, after finding out we were going to the same summer camp together. We knew a couple things about each other. We both had few friends. We both gamed. I knew she was from England, and she knew I was from America. I knew she was cis, and for all intents and purposes, straight, but she didn't know I was trans, because I didn't tell her. That would lead to...interesting...consequences later.

I'd seen her face from her profile picture, but she hadn't seen mine. So I found her before she found me. Right away I sensed something was "off" about her. Not in a bad way. I just knew there was something different, and that different was interesting.

So I introduced myself. And we said hi. And then that was it. As the elevator went up, I lowkey panicked when we got off on the same floor. I highkey panicked when we walked into the same room, and ran into two other girls. Great, I thought, bracing myself for invasive questions and excessive misgendering. I didn't want to defend myself in front of her, and give her the wrong impression of me as someone who was hostile or unfriendly. But thankfully, everyone was okay with who I was, and she didn't question my identity at all. It wasn't exactly the best way to get acquainted with someone you wanted to build an intimate connection with, but it was a start.

By the end of the first week, I learned a few more things about her. I learned that she was intense. When she asked you questions, even if it was something as simple as, "Do you do any extracurriculars?" or "What's school like for you," the words would shoot out of her mouth like bullets. When she looked at you, she seemed to be studying you--looking through you, even. I found myself attracted to her. I didn't want it to be romantic, but it became romantic. And when I realized I had a crush on her, I did everything I could to avoid her. But life had other plans. By the start of the second week, we were assigned to be partners for a project. I learned that she hated planning. I learned that I could work surprisingly fast to make up. So we actually finished our project faster than any other group did, and we spent all our spare time gaming on each other's laptops.

By the end of the third week, I learned that maybe she was interested in me, in a way that went beyond wanting to be friends. She had this interesting habit of only talking to me in whispers, so whenever we were talking, I had to get up close to hear what she was saying. And I knew she hated physical contact, but for some reason, she would go out of her way to physically contact me. She'd move the side of her forearm up against mine. And leave it there. For a long time. I'm talking, fifteen to thirty minutes. She did this frequently. Sometimes she'd change it up; if we were sitting, she'd move her knees, or her feet, even. I thought she was flirting with me. I wasn't really sure what to do with that information. Obviously the next step was to ask her out. I didn't want to. But that was what I was supposed to do...wasn't it?

I thought I had us figured out. But then, at the start of the fourth week, we went on a huge group trip, and she barely talked to me at all. In fact, she spent a lot of time talking to another guy who sometimes came to hang out with our friend group. So I felt kind of sad, and sort of isolated myself from them. Conveniently, there was an agender kid who noticed I was being alone, and came to talk to me. We started to talk to each other a lot, and to my surprise, she reacted with visible jealousy. Once, we were getting on the bus to head back to camp, and when my agender friend sat down next to me, she just shot me this really long, inquisitive look. Then she moved her forearm up to mine. And then I knew she hadn't lost interest. 

Throughout the rest of the week, she started following me around whenever she noticed I was spending a lot of one-on-one time with anyone. She'd keep trying to butt into my conversations, and I'd try to include her, but then she'd quickly back out again. She spent a lot more time talking to my agender friend, and a lot less time talking with the other dude, which I thought was funny. Things only got better during the fifth week. The entire camp was playing a secret santa-like game, and I ended up drawing her name. After drawing the names, we went around in a circle asking people what they wanted their secret santa to get them. As a joke, she said she wanted American stuff. So I spent an entire week secretly buying her American items, secretly watching her get excited over the American items, and secretly laughing at everyone getting jealous that her secret santa was buying her so much stuff. I also knew, from our conversations, that she loved coffee, so I bought her coffee every morning, and woke up early just to set it at her door, which just made her happier, and everyone else more upset. At the end of the camp, I wrote her a note, asking her out. I felt really sick and awful after I sent it out, partly because I felt like she would reject me, and partly because I wouldn't know what to do if she didn't. (I didn't know I was lithromantic at the time.)

The next morning, she found the note attached to her daily coffee, and she asked me to talk to her in private. She confessed that she'd never been romantically interested in anyone. For the most part, I was relieved. I felt like a huge burden had been lifted off of my shoulders, now that I know I didn't have to date her. But I was also scared. She told me she wanted to stay in contact, but I was worried that she'd try to distance herself from me, to discourage any lingering feelings I might have. But when we went back to the table, she pressed her ankle up against mine. And then I knew things wouldn't change. 

If anything, it made us more intimate with each other. Now that we knew how we felt in relation to each other, there was no fear of miscommunication. I remember a really intimate moment we shared during the camp's ending assembly. Even though the auditorium was completely full, she was still talking to me in whispers, so I had to lean in. Once she leaned in so close, we nearly kissed. And when we pulled away from each other, there was this kid, just staring at us with this inquisitive look on his face. I think that was probably the first queerplatonic moment I ever experienced. And I really liked how it felt, and I could tell she did, too.

It's been months since the camp has ended, and we're still, to put it in her terms, "good friends." After the camp, I spent months reading up on aromanticism. I learned that all the things she did that I perceived as flirting or signs of romantic interest, were probably signs of platonic interest. Since then, I've completely lost my romantic feelings for her. They've transformed into a kind of love that I haven't really felt for anyone, a love that's rooted in a deep sense of respect, empathy, and intimacy. A lot of my allo friends say that this is just romantic love, but it's not, because I've felt romantic love after her, and it's completely different. A lot of aros and aces I've talked to have said that this is platonic love, and that she and I are essentially queerplatonic partners, but I feel like it's unnecessary to label our relationship. I care deeply about her, and she cares deeply about me. That's all I ever need to know.

• Like 8

tbh i don't get squishes very easily/at all and i can only think of one person who i've ever had a real squish on & that didn't turn out well for either of us bcos they thought i had a romantic crush on them D: it sounds nice though ^-^

• Like 4

I get the most unrealistic squishes and it is a problem. They're actually akin to celebrity crushes, in a way? (That thought makes me laugh.)

Anywho I have a huge squish on Yungtown. He's such a wonderful guy that produces equally wonderful content. 100% shaped like a great friend. One day I'll meet him at a con....one day....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, omitef said:

I have a squish who reciprocates my platonic love...I hope it's okay if I gush? If not, let me know and I'll delete

Long story so collapsing

Reveal hidden contents

The first time we physically met was in an elevator. We had talked before, online, after finding out we were going to the same summer camp together. We knew a couple things about each other. We both had few friends. We both gamed. I knew she was from England, and she knew I was from America. I knew she was cis, and for all intents and purposes, straight, but she didn't know I was trans, because I didn't tell her. That would lead to...interesting...consequences later.

I'd seen her face from her profile picture, but she hadn't seen mine. So I found her before she found me. Right away I sensed something was "off" about her. Not in a bad way. I just knew there was something different, and that different was interesting.

So I introduced myself. And we said hi. And then that was it. As the elevator went up, I lowkey panicked when we got off on the same floor. I highkey panicked when we walked into the same room, and ran into two other girls. Great, I thought, bracing myself for invasive questions and excessive misgendering. I didn't want to defend myself in front of her, and give her the wrong impression of me as someone who was hostile or unfriendly. But thankfully, everyone was okay with who I was, and she didn't question my identity at all. It wasn't exactly the best way to get acquainted with someone you wanted to build an intimate connection with, but it was a start.

By the end of the first week, I learned a few more things about her. I learned that she was intense. When she asked you questions, even if it was something as simple as, "Do you do any extracurriculars?" or "What's school like for you," the words would shoot out of her mouth like bullets. When she looked at you, she seemed to be studying you--looking through you, even. I found myself attracted to her. I didn't want it to be romantic, but it became romantic. And when I realized I had a crush on her, I did everything I could to avoid her. But life had other plans. By the start of the second week, we were assigned to be partners for a project. I learned that she hated planning. I learned that I could work surprisingly fast to make up. So we actually finished our project faster than any other group did, and we spent all our spare time gaming on each other's laptops.

By the end of the third week, I learned that maybe she was interested in me, in a way that went beyond wanting to be friends. She had this interesting habit of only talking to me in whispers, so whenever we were talking, I had to get up close to hear what she was saying. And I knew she hated physical contact, but for some reason, she would go out of her way to physically contact me. She'd move the side of her forearm up against mine. And leave it there. For a long time. I'm talking, fifteen to thirty minutes. She did this frequently. Sometimes she'd change it up; if we were sitting, she'd move her knees, or her feet, even. I thought she was flirting with me. I wasn't really sure what to do with that information. Obviously the next step was to ask her out. I didn't want to. But that was what I was supposed to do...wasn't it?

I thought I had us figured out. But then, at the start of the fourth week, we went on a huge group trip, and she barely talked to me at all. In fact, she spent a lot of time talking to another guy who sometimes came to hang out with our friend group. So I felt kind of sad, and sort of isolated myself from them. Conveniently, there was an agender kid who noticed I was being alone, and came to talk to me. We started to talk to each other a lot, and to my surprise, she reacted with visible jealousy. Once, we were getting on the bus to head back to camp, and when my agender friend sat down next to me, she just shot me this really long, inquisitive look. Then she moved her forearm up to mine. And then I knew she hadn't lost interest. 

Throughout the rest of the week, she started following me around whenever she noticed I was spending a lot of one-on-one time with anyone. She'd keep trying to butt into my conversations, and I'd try to include her, but then she'd quickly back out again. She spent a lot more time talking to my agender friend, and a lot less time talking with the other dude, which I thought was funny. Things only got better during the fifth week. The entire camp was playing a secret santa-like game, and I ended up drawing her name. After drawing the names, we went around in a circle asking people what they wanted their secret santa to get them. As a joke, she said she wanted American stuff. So I spent an entire week secretly buying her American items, secretly watching her get excited over the American items, and secretly laughing at everyone getting jealous that her secret santa was buying her so much stuff. I also knew, from our conversations, that she loved coffee, so I bought her coffee every morning, and woke up early just to set it at her door, which just made her happier, and everyone else more upset. At the end of the camp, I wrote her a note, asking her out. I felt really sick and awful after I sent it out, partly because I felt like she would reject me, and partly because I wouldn't know what to do if she didn't. (I didn't know I was lithromantic at the time.)

The next morning, she found the note attached to her daily coffee, and she asked me to talk to her in private. She confessed that she'd never been romantically interested in anyone. For the most part, I was relieved. I felt like a huge burden had been lifted off of my shoulders, now that I know I didn't have to date her. But I was also scared. She told me she wanted to stay in contact, but I was worried that she'd try to distance herself from me, to discourage any lingering feelings I might have. But when we went back to the table, she pressed her ankle up against mine. And then I knew things wouldn't change. 

If anything, it made us more intimate with each other. Now that we knew how we felt in relation to each other, there was no fear of miscommunication. I remember a really intimate moment we shared during the camp's ending assembly. Even though the auditorium was completely full, she was still talking to me in whispers, so I had to lean in. Once she leaned in so close, we nearly kissed. And when we pulled away from each other, there was this kid, just staring at us with this inquisitive look on his face. I think that was probably the first queerplatonic moment I ever experienced. And I really liked how it felt, and I could tell she did, too.

It's been months since the camp has ended, and we're still, to put it in her terms, "good friends." After the camp, I spent months reading up on aromanticism. I learned that all the things she did that I perceived as flirting or signs of romantic interest, were probably signs of platonic interest. Since then, I've completely lost my romantic feelings for her. They've transformed into a kind of love that I haven't really felt for anyone, a love that's rooted in a deep sense of respect, empathy, and intimacy. A lot of my allo friends say that this is just romantic love, but it's not, because I've felt romantic love after her, and it's completely different. A lot of aros and aces I've talked to have said that this is platonic love, and that she and I are essentially queerplatonic partners, but I feel like it's unnecessary to label our relationship. I care deeply about her, and she cares deeply about me. That's all I ever need to know.

Yes, absolutely! Gush away!

Oh I have had so many I dont even know where to begin.

the wierdest squish I ever had was an author I was fan of who moved in next door. Nothing ever happent but I thought it was fun cause the describtion sound like a very cliche roncon movie.

Right now im having 2 squishes + 1 stable friend I dont know if I should call it a squish or not. (i dont really squish over him we been friends for so long its feels natural but he does make my life alot better) and One squish I am slower getting over.

the 2 squishes I have is pretty difficult. One is a classmate and I think she is cool and we have alot of things in common, but I still feel so unsure cause I know really nothing about how she feel about me. Being a non-cis non-straight person and so on.

but I do wish I could become good friends with her, and secretly wish she is aro so there is no romo guarenty. We also share same dreams on traveling so its really cool.

my other squish live in another country. That itself is not difficult since its closeby but my income is very low so its difficult to get to see him, and for him its also difficult to see me because of money as well.

we are only able to see each other a few times a yeah, but I enjoy the few times we have very much.

he does not know im aro, but I been thought my questioning procces with him were I said I am not even sure if I ever felt romantic love but I may be in love with him? For me its confussing and I feel bad like I also confussed him. I dont want a romantic relationship but more like qpp, yet i know we cant be like that so right now i feel happy we stay in touch.

i want to tell him about my orientation but i worry that he wont accept it.

• Like 1

Sigh, I wanna have a squish again >.< I've had two or three squishes in my life and one of them has stayed my friend until now. One didn't work because we started dating and it just... yeah, you know. The other one wanted to date with me and once again it didn't work out. But my first squish ever is still my friend, best friend, and I guess I still squish towards her sometimes. We've just been friends for so many years already, haha :'D But I love her, alright. She's great and I think I won't find someone like her ever again.

So my first squish was this boy at nursery, called Z. He had extremely rosy and round cheeks, and such a vivid imagination. We would come up with fake stories and spread them among the other kids. We were quite efficient, sometimes we managed to start like two hoaxes per week. Some turned out be so realistic, the adults would investigate...

Later on, I had another squish, a girl named P. She had the same birthday as me. It developed into a strong friendship, we were inseparable. Ironically, we had a massive fight because of a shared birthday party (her guests were some spoiled brats and made a massive mess everywhere). After that we became more and more distant.

I'm still friends with my most recent squish, who prefers to be called L. I met them at uni, they were just moving into the same dorm. It was a friendship at first sight. I don't think they actually spent a day in that assigned room, we traded rooms and roommates with others as quick as we could. My roommate moved in with her boyfriend, and we convinced theirs that they don't really wanna live on the fourth floor of a building without an elevatorxD

We lived together for three years, it was so domestic, so ideal. They had a special way of making coffee, and we cooked for each other all the time. We would not shut up til early morning, chatting, watching movies. They are so intelligent, one those ancient souls. They also helped me through uni and a relationship that was quite distressing, and I'm forever thankful for all of their support.

Its been years, but I'm still super excited to see them, although we live far away from each other. We write snail mail to each other by hand, and we always put a little present like a bag of nice tea or a little drawing in the envelope. (Welcome to the "how to confuse the hell out of your alloromantic acquaintances" course. Hand written letters? There is no way that isn't romantic, right?! It has to be.:P Don't even bother trying to explain.)

So yeah, I still consider them a squish. And also a friend.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

prefers to be called L

DEATH NOTE

Ahem...moving on.

I have a squish on a person on my soccer team :P she has a Jack Skellington sweatshirt. Nuff said.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Uggghhhh save me. I just got my fourth squish today. Save me. My last one literally almost killed me. I'm not using literally as meaning figuratively there. I mean literally. He also saved my life though.. 

Anyway. I think it may be because he might look a tiny bit like Snape LOL. Save me. He's really nice. ;~; I think I can understand how people get crushes now. It just happens. Save me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2016 at 0:01 PM, Dodgypotato said:

My last one literally almost killed me.

Ouch, what happened? :( :hugs:

I thought squishes can't be harmful if done right. I mean, who on earth would hate to have one friend more (i.e. befriending you)? Or do you mean some kind of monoamorous queerplatonic attraction, i.e. did you want them to be exclusive with you in some way?

4 minutes ago, aroMa(n)tisse said:

Ouch, what happened? :( :hugs:

I thought squishes can't be harmful if done right. I mean, who on earth would hate to have one friend more (i.e. befriending you)? Or did you mean queerplatonic attraction?

Private message me if you're sure you want to know. : P I don't want to write it where everyone can see!

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm indeed not sure... there are plenty of people here who will listen to you better than I would.

Anyway, your previous squish is now gone, and I yet see no reason why the new one is necessarily going to be a wreck. Let's hope for the best until you learn more facts about him!

• 3 weeks later...

The last big squish I had was last year on my piano teacher. He was, by far, the funnies, most awkward teacher I ever had! I don't really know why, but I instantaneously got this feeling that if we had met in an other context, we could have been really great friends! The fact that we almost had the same age might have something to do with it.
Also, a couple of details make me think that he might be aro too, but I'm very unsure about this...

• Like 1

I rarely squish. My real life squish is currently my best friend. I also seemed to have developed a squish on my Taekwondo instructor, a fellow Taekwondo classmate, Tony Stark's tech and Bucky Barnes, idk why.

So, the squish who is a friend: she was basically in my class for seven years, and we didn't interact much until she sat near me in the fifth year and basically bonded by laughing at the rest of our class' general idiocy and being overenthusiastic in physics lessons. Her intellect and her wittiness are really captivating. I wish I could tell her I'm still squishing really hard on her, but it'd probably be awkward. And did I mention she's straight and has a boyfriend? :( 

I've squished (minorly) on my instructor for about two years. I think this may be less of a squish and more of an admiration, but I do really wish he were my friend. He's a really cool person and he's so good at what he does? 

Stark tech would be described as orgasmic if I weren't asexual, but I am, and therefore they are elevated to the level of being amazingly cool :) This is also probably not a squish but really, how do you not squish on JARVIS? Like, he's a robot, know almost everything and doesn't judge you for who you are.

I'm still figuring the Bucky one out.

I kind off have a squish/best friend of.. I think almost 14 years now? I met her online when I was barely a teen. We've always chatted almost daily since then. I even had the honor of being her best mate at her wedding and I'm absolutely in tune with her husband, too. He's so fun to be around, I love the guy! =D 

Since way back, I always considered her to be my most important thing in the world, though I knew from very early on, that I meant that in a platonic way. This was way before I knew what being aro means, it was just the most natural thing for me to feel, so I never connected the dots. 

That being said I don't consider us to be QPP material at all, we probably wouldn't room well xD I have not desire to be together with her in that way, I just like to help her be happy, because she means so much to me. But recently she started ignoring me in favor of another friend of hers, going so far as to completely shut me out for a few days. We're good now, but I felt so hurt at the time, I could barely function. It really hammered home how much platonic relationships affect you and how "just friends" is the most bullshit saying I've ever come across. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had a squish in quite some time, and I've probably only had a handful though they'd last for a good portion of a year. One of the more noteworthy ones was last year.

He had this rock hard shell that no one could seem to crack. No one got past a surface friendship with him, and he often treated me (and others) like shit since I was a bit of a pushover. He was still fun to be around (as a last resort, mind you) but I'd easily tire of the teasing. This was the status quo for about four years until year 12 retreat, just before the year started. He and one of my outer friends (who is now a really good friend) were the only ones in my retreat group who didn't despise my existence and I thought oh boy, just survive the week. I hung out with him out of necessity and we bonded a lot (over our mutual hatred of the retreat program, we were quite bitter together). The moment I remember the most was the final day when we were finally allowed to go to the beach. It was the middle of summer in Australia, and we had just spent a week at a campsite with a couple fans at best. We were all dying to go and I remember us both sprinting into the freezing cold water and just playing for ages. We were splashing and laughing and it was the happiest I had ever seen him, it was like I had managed to barely crack his shell.

This lead to a wonderful friendship in our final school year. We were practically joint at the hip, and while we usually had the bitter aesthetic going on I suspect he was happy deep down to have a proper friend (the people at that school were so fake, and no one else tried to break down his walls like I did). I suspect we could've had a really good QPR, and he was my first squish that I had known was a squish (and not a crush).

He ended up leaving for another state at the end of the year and it still kills me that I didn't tell him how I felt, or how much I appreciated having him there in such a difficult year. I wish I could fly over and give him a big hug and tell him how much I (platonically) love him also because he told me recently he still hasn't made friends at uni. It's hard because I normally grow out of my feelings in my own time but I felt like our time had been cut short and I haven't completely gotten over it.

• Like 3

• 5 years later...

I get squishes very regularly, somehow only on guys though. Right now I have 3 and I just realized they all look kinda alike.

A is a clever and cute looking guy. He's quite smart, a bit of a nerd and we're very similar? A's very shy though. He was the one that made me realize that I'm aromantic. We have like one class together now and I just found out that he's probably aroace too?? I would love to be friends with him and go on platonic science dates. But it's a bit weird since I confessed my "love" to him in eight grade already. I hope we still get to be friends someday.

Same with B. He's very smart and Im kinda jealous of all the girls that he's friends with. I hope I get to be one of them soon. B is very good with politics and sometimes I ask him, when I want an opinion about a political subject. I also thought I had a crush on him in sixth grade so I drew a picture with him and his freckles. Yeah I still love these freckles. We have the same favorite classes and he's so smart argh I want to his friend so bad.

C is a very new squish even though we've been in the same class for a long time. He has very cool hair and a style which is kinda close to mine. Which means we could go shopping together! And I wanna draw him. He is shy and very introverted, kinda a soft boy and so aesthetic somehow? I would definetly love to be his friend so we can draw and listen to music together.

Edited by arofox

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve had several squishes over the years, and for a while I always mistook them for being crushes, which looking back I know they definitely weren’t. My current squish is a girl who’s a year younger than me. She’s smart, funny, honestly kinda cute, and just a great person to be around. We’ve talked a few times but I wouldn’t really say we’re close yet. Hopefully I’ll get an opportunity to become better friends with her though :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have two squishes right now.  Sometimes I call them "special friends" or "preferred friends".  I met the first once on Discord during lockdown/the pandemic, I had just discovered I was a therian and had joined a therian pack.  He was probably the only person to make a private DM with me and say hello.  We liked each other pretty much right off the bat.  He calls me aunty now, it's been almost two years.  I would ask him for a QPR, but I don't want to spoil the magic.  Relationships wise, everything I touch turns to shit and I don't want to risk losing him in that way.

I met my other squish on the bus.  I first noticed him because he greatly resembles my ex boyfriend in terms of his build and how he styles his hair.  The resemblance was so great that I just had to say something.  So I did.  I told him he resembles a friend of mine, though, because who wants to be told they resemble an ex?  Anyway, the conversation was really awkward at first but it started to flow after a while.  By the time I got to my stop, things were going pretty well so we exchanged phone numbers.  We've spoken almost daily ever since.  I can't imagine life without him.  I would ask him to be in a QPR with me, but again, relationships-wise everything I touch turns to shit and I don't want to risk losing him that way.  He is also a minor, and while there are no laws against non-sexual QPRs with minors (i'm ace), I would still feel like a pedophile.

• 1 year later...

Oh I have had multiple squishes 😅Three of them turned into long-term friendships and are currently my closest friends (though long distance) and I love them ☺️ 

I'd so love to be in a QPR and have a person who reciprocated the squish – but so far no luck. Currently I am squishing on this person I met at an art event – they are so cute, have great humor, are a good good person and we interact really well. We haven't had much time together yet, so we'll see where it goes! I am kinda already prepared to let my feelings go again, though, because I think either they will experience regular friendship feelings or develop romantic feelings, sooooo....oooooops. But yeah, regardless, I can't wait to spend more time with them, get to know them and hopefully make many memories together!

And one day someone somewhere shall requite a squish of mine, yes yes, mark my words 😌