How do you dream?

hippiesthop

How do you dream?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know there's already a topic on dreams, but I wanted to make a poll, see what's out there. I personally (almost) always in third person and am rarely in my dreams, but I know there's a lot of variation among my friends alone. Also, I'm aware lucid dreaming is a thing, and I want to know if there's anyone who lucid dreams whose dreams are often in third person.

• Like 3

I dream in first person as me most of the time but last night I dreamed in 3rd for a part and it wasn't me in the dream. Most of my dreams are just sight and sound, but occasionally I will have extremely vivid ones.

P.S. I like this font. I think I will use it from now on ;)

• Like 2

Is there a way to tick every single option? My dreams vary so much I've been in 1st, 3rd even 2nd person which was weird. I've had dreams where I'm there, where I'm not. I've had super real dreams, I've had one or two where I know I'm dreaming (those are so fun)

• Like 2

I'm a lucid dreamer, not all the time, but sometimes. Most of my dreams are first person, there are a few that aren't but these aren't lucid. 

I also have PTSD dreams at least once a week (every night when I'm not feeling well), but those aren't lucid sadly, I wish they were :(

All are quite vivid anyway. I rarely have nice dreams but a few times where I had one, it was so vivid that I thought "I'm not dreaming, OMG this is wonderful !"... Of course, disappointment followed.

I use my five senses in my dreams, to give a good example I like cooking and baking and I imagined a few recipes in dream, where I could taste them, and what's cool is that they do taste the same in real.

Sometimes I also do math, physics or write in dreams. It seems like I get my best ideas this way.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I voted "an equal split", but for me it's more like it's in second person. I'll be making my own choices, but I'll see myself from the point of view of the person I'm talking to/interacting with. It's really weird and I don't know of anyone else who has dreams like that (other than 46odnetnin, now that I've read their post). As for how vivid my dreams are, the center of attention tends to be pretty clear, but anything else like the setting and background activity are usually quite blurry. Smell and taste doesn't even occur to me so it's just sight and sound.

• 1 year later...

I voted first person because that's the case the majority of the time, but sometimes I'm watching people I don't know from the third person and I'm not there. There's usually more than just sight and sound but less than five senses. Like colour vision, sound, and tactile senses like touch and temperature. I've been aware of my dreaming occasionally but I've never tried to control it.

I don't remember that many of my dreams these days. A few years ago I remembered more. Then I would often start my dream as an observer, often dreaming about an event from a book or a movie. Then as the dream progressed I'd suddenly be in it. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I honestly don't know if I can ever remember having a dream that wasn't in first person. In most of my dreams the only senses I have are sight and sound (or sometimes just sight). Other times I have the sense of touch as well but when touch is involved it usually has to deal with pain. I can remember having a dream where I was sitting in the stands and all of a sudden I could feel my teeth twisting in my mouth like they were being pulled out (And I don't think I even woke up immediately after some of my teeth fell out). It was seriously painful but most of the time with my dreams, the sense of touch isn't that extreme. 

Most of the time it's in first person, usually me in them, and they're like real life. I've had mostly nightmares since I was 2. Hardly have good ones. They truly feel real. Almost too real. That makes them even scarier. I've tried lucid dreaming, and I can't change any of them during it. In fact, things got worse in those recurring dreams the next time around. I've had a dream where I slowly decay in a coffin. I feel, smell, touch, etc. everything. Another where I'm repeatedly ran over by a car. No, I don't wake up when I 'die' in these dreams. They just keep going. I've heard that's unusual. I've gotten used to them, and even wrote a collection of 12 short stories based on them. 

• Sad 1

Sometimes I'm in first person and I'll look down at my hands and realize that it's not actually me.. like I'll have taken the form of some character from a tv show I'm binging at the moment. 

Most of the time I have full senses, which is especially weird because I'll be able to smell things like cooking pasta or coffee and be confused when I wake up and there is no pasta or coffee. I want to learn to lucid dream.

I know that in my dreams whatever I'm looking at is clear but my peripheral vision is super cloudy.

Have any of you died in a dream?

Because I had a dream where I got shot point-blank to the heart and I remember falling to the ground and seeing my blood pool before my vision faded?? And then I emerged as a ghost and saw my body in third person and it was a surreal experience.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Usually I dream in first person, but only with sight and sound involved. My dreams are not vivid or sensual enough. Sometimes I have "talking heads" dreams and then I usually wake up with a headache, evidently they are hard work for my brain. One or two dreams were mock documentaries about non-existent worlds.

In the world of one of these dreams, humans were descended not from African apes, but from Yeti-like creatures from an island between Siberia and Alaska. This island, which doesn't exist IRL, had the shape of New Guinea. From there they migrated into Old and New World. I'm not sure, but if I recall correctly the Old and New World humans became two separate subspecies.

Civilization developed in North America. From there, the British Isles were colonized by a seafaring nation while the Continent remained populated by Native European savages. There was also a national liberation movement in the dreamworld. A group of Native Europeans known as the Titans wanted to cleanse the British Isles from all New World settlers.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't really remember most of my dreams, except for those that are really strange. For months I always had the same dream and another time I dreamed the same dream like twice every week. Those have always been in first person and mostly just sight, with a bit of background noises. I couldn't talk myself -- which might've been good because I always died in the second dream alongside my family.

• 4 weeks later...

Some nights my dreams are more vivid than usual.

I can get all my senses including taste but strangely not smell. There was never any reason scenaristic reason for odours to matter in my dreams.

• 3 weeks later...

Difficult poll that forces me to analyze exactly what my dreams are.

POW regularly changes from first person to third person during dreams.

Weather or not I am me really depends on how strictly we want to define 'me'. Sometimes I am pretty much exactly me, other times, I am a character. It usually still feels like me, I mean, it is my feelings and everything. But there are some very key differences like 'In this dream, I am an elven man and that's just who I am now' or 'In this dream I am Luke Skywalker, specifically.' I still experience the dream like that's me, and (sometimes) see through the characters eyes, but I can't really argue that I AM Luke Skywalker.

Sometimes I change POW character in the middle of a dream. First I am Luke Skywaker, then I zoom out and what him from outside, and I am me, as an observing presence, and then I switch to being someone else in the same story.

I have no idea what my senses are doing in dreams. I think I have them when they're relevant?  Man, I can't remember

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've had a few dreams where I've been knocked out in the middle of the dream. It's a bit scary and feels very weird ngl

• 5 months later...

I’ve had super vivid dreams before, especially in a period of time where I was trying to lucid dream. I remember a lot of them, they’re never the ‘good’ type of dream, more of the ‘weird’ or ‘borderline creepy’ type.

• 2 months later...