What's the story behind your username?

roboticanary

Just out of interest.

In my case back when I first started out with aromanticism I had heard the idea of aros being robots and thought it was silly.

Wanted something that was more to do with my interests. I tried out a few names but eventually settled on canary, a mix of my football team (norwich city) but also something yellow which seemed good. 

• Like 7

well it started out with Among Us lol. I really love the songs and the words lovely and anathema, and I used them both as Among Us usernames, and then I ended up sticking with lovely because I can do the fancy slashed o that twenty one pilots uses that's in danish and some other languages and then I started using it for other usernames and I like people calling me it so much that I made it my name everywhere, which is perfect cuz I was having issues with my first name and my middle name both making me feel dysphoric. So now everyone just knows me and lovely and it's great! Love it.

• Like 5

It's a variant of a username I have on a different app (the 'e' is replaced with the number 3). I love birds and I was thinking of them at the time of making it, there's also an old saying of calling a lovey-dovey couple a pair of lovebirds, and I'm romance favourable, so it's double the pun. 

Edited by Lovebird
  • Like 4

I choose Ikarus because it’s fun to say, the letters look cool, I wanted a short username, and when I see it written and say it to myself I think, what a name. 

Its not Icarus (the dude who sank in the sea). The inspiration for the name came from my favorite synthwave youtube channel called Ikarus. Totally under rated gem by the way. Well.... that’s the story....

• Like 3

I find fennec foxes adorable and hilarious- they’re really small with really big ears. And my initials are AF, so it’s fun to put a little about myself in my username. I use this for pretty much all my online usernames.

• Like 4

When I first started to frequent forum I lived in the suburb Bromma in Stockholm. So I made a username Brommabo which means inhabitant of Bromma. When I moved from Bromma I changed the name to Holmbo to kinda refer to Stockholm instead. Stockholm means log-islet in Swedish, so my username kinda means islet inhabitant. 

• Like 5

Nix is the default character name I used as a kid in games that only had a male main character. Because obviously I wanted to name the main character after myself, but young me found it silly to name a pixelated boy ‘Nicole’. I guess I could have used ‘Nick’ but my best friend was called that so I settled on Nix. I still tend to name game characters Nix now out of habit, both the boys and the girls. I also use it as a default username in most online spaces, except when it is already taken and then I have to get creative and call myself ‘Nyxmis’ or some variation.

• Like 6

2 spirit is a Native term refering to sexual, gender and romantic minorities; in my case asexual, genderless and aromantic.  The other part calls out racial fakers; if you hear someone say that they have an ancestor who was a "Cherokee princess," that's a lie.

• Like 7

glypharia was simply a late night scramble of thoughts. I really like the word "glyph" so that was sort of the basis. even though my real name isn't aria, i really did like the name and so I combined the two and really liked how it turned out. the "exe" was added later on after some friends of mine joked that i was really just a computer program or something one time.

• Like 6

Initially I went with aroace_auncle. because I’m aroace and just really like alliterations alongside the idea of being a queer auncle figure to lil kids. 

I switched it to lovely-lavender on a whim. Lavender is a name of mine, and again, I have a running theme of picking alliterations. 

• Like 3

'Autumn' is just my writing pseud and main online name for socializing, I first started using it when I joined nanowrimo and then kinda just kept using it out of simplicity. I chose it because I thought it was pretty and am a fan of a lot of the associated imagery, and now I still like it because of that and also now I'm just used to being called that in online spaces and by online friends.

• Like 3

It's my AVEN username. I kept it even though the original context for it doesn't make much sense on Arocalypse... I think that's when I realized that maybe the context wasn't as relevant as I thought it was. Originally meant it to be "RadioSilence", but it had been taken on the other website, so I wrote it in French instead. I just wanted something related to the silence, and so I picked that.

• Like 4

i chose it cause i’m a name hoarder, having a lil over 5 dozen (or 6 dozen i haven’t checked in a while) first names and less then a dozen middle names, so a fun lil reference to the ever growing google doc i call a name hoard :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, it's the short version of one of my names. I haven't used that name until I've figured out I'm non-binary and I like that the short version sounds more neutral than my heavily gendered names. Now I'm looking forward to change it legally to this version (not sure when that's going to happen), so I hope one day I can say it's my name legally too ;))

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Angrboda is a character from Norse Mythology. I like this character because she's a Frost Giant & I think ice powers are the best superpower.

Also, she was one of Loki's partners. The Marvel version of Loki is so epic! So few characters line up with what I'm attracted to, but he's perfect. He even has all the stuff that gets people bonus points in my book, having a British accent, wearing a cape, being brilliant, & being a villain. ^_^

• Like 6