Jump to content

Romantic Attraction


DeMorgan
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, aroMa(n)tisse said:

I think people who have never been there are supposed to emulate a hypothetical romantic relationship in their imagination and answer how they would feel if they were 'in love' the way they tend to do (e.g. if they formed a couple with someone they'd have a self-proclaimed 'squish' on).

 

Hmm yeah I could agree with that. I did the best I could and mustered a whopping 11. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the record, I do agree that the quiz is biased, that many of the questions measure an extreme/pathological version of love, etc.

However, the fact that it seems to accurately and consistently distinguish aromantics from alloromantics (although not so much aro-spec people, who have gotten scores all across the board) makes it most likely the best starting point we have in figuring out romantic attraction--I don't know of anything else that set out to define romantic attraction and actually achieved this degree of success, even if the quiz itself is based on some iffy stuff.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jade said:

For the record, I do agree that the quiz is biased, that many of the questions measure an extreme/pathological version of love, etc.

However, the fact that it seems to accurately and consistently distinguish aromantics from alloromantics (although not so much aro-spec people, who have gotten scores all across the board) makes it most likely the best starting point we have in figuring out romantic attraction--I don't know of anything else that set out to define romantic attraction and actually achieved this degree of success, even if the quiz itself is based on some iffy stuff.

Of course. However I just thought we should keep it in mind. I was mostly saying it in response to people's concerns at how damn creepy and unhealthy some of the points are. They're exaggerated due to the bias of the author, I believe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are some well researched ones, like the Attraction Questionnaire. 

Plus there's tons of studies on romance, using tests. Sadly most of them are not really open to the public, or, if they are their scoring system isn't made public as they usually require a test analyst.

A lack of romantic attraction however, is still way understudied... which is why being aro just results in low scores and isn't overly classified =\

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kojote said:

There are some well researched ones, like the Attraction Questionnaire. 

Plus there's tons of studies on romance, using tests. Sadly most of them are not really open to the public, or, if they are their scoring system isn't made public as they usually require a test analyst.

A lack of romantic attraction however, is still way understudied... which is why being aro just results in low scores and isn't overly classified =\

Is there anywhere online where the Attraction Questionnaire is available (and able to be scored..) ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jade said:

Is there anywhere online where the Attraction Questionnaire is available (and able to be scored..) ?

Not that I know, sry. I just remember it from one if the articles back when I still studied psychology, but I was never big on the romantic topics (for, in retrospect, obvious reasons), so I never took it myself... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kojote said:

Not that I know, sry. I just remember it from one if the articles back when I still studied psychology, but I was never big on the romantic topics (for, in retrospect, obvious reasons), so I never took it myself... 

So... unless I find a better alternative I think I'll stick to seeing how this quiz works out, and then maybe working with the community to design an improved version 

 

I'll definitely keep my eye out for studies of romance though, and if I come across anything interesting I'll definitely let this thread know :D

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jade said:

So... unless I find a better alternative I think I'll stick to seeing how this quiz works out, and then maybe working with the community to design an improved version 

 

I'll definitely keep my eye out for studies of romance though, and if I come across anything interesting I'll definitely let this thread know :D

I was just thinking about this. We could make our own quiz based on the questionnaire and advertise it for aromantics and anyone questing their romantic orientation

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this idea has a lot of merit. I would hate to use any verbiage that it is proof or scientific, but it's a very good starting point for someone. We could also turn the quiz into an interactive checkboxy thing that automatically tallies up your score. For every statement you agree with just click the box on.

 

It takes a fair amount of time to take the whole test. Should we boil it down a bit? Could we have an even simpler version of the quiz with just ten questions and then say, well maybe you should take the full text now?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I think this idea has a lot of merit. I would hate to use any verbiage that it is proof or scientific, but it's a very good starting point for someone. We could also turn the quiz into an interactive checkboxy thing that automatically tallies up your score. For every statement you agree with just click the box on.

 

It takes a fair amount of time to take the whole test. Should we boil it down a bit? Could we have an even simpler version of the quiz with just ten questions and then say, well maybe you should take the full text now?

Yeah like if you got above 30 or 40% it suggests to take the real test for more accurate results

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I got about 15-20 on the test. 20 is kind of pushing it, and I'm not sure I interpreted all the questions correctly. Some of them kind of half-applied but not really.

 

But most of the time I was looking through the points and going "WTF, is this seriously what most other people experience, and they LIKE IT?!" ... O.o

 

I think it's safe to say that those times when I thought I was in love, I wasn't really, and I've been misunderstanding sooo many things people have said all along. And I've actually been in 3 relationships. All 3 times it was like "well, this person likes me, and he seems like a cool person with good qualities, maybe I should see if I can muster up some feelings for him"... and I could muster up something, sure... something like love, but nothing crazy like this romantic nonsense.

 

On 17 June 2016 at 0:46 AM, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Sure, something like that. I will try to get in contact with James and see if he's OK with us using the questionnaire on our site.

 

I found his email address and reached out to him. We'll see if we get a response.

Did anything ever come of that? It'd be an awesome test to have in checkboxy form... and maybe a bit shorter. Something easier for people to get through, because I'd really love to know what scores people I know IRL get...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

 

But most of the time I was looking through the points and going "WTF, is this seriously what most other people experience, and they LIKE IT?!" ... O.o

 

I feel like people are getting the wrong impression from the quizz: there are plenty of things in those questions that most people (aro or not) would definitely agree are creepy/inappropriate/maybe illegal. Don't worry, the world isn't filled with creeps.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly this test has more stereotypes than true characteristics of romance. There are items that can make the difference, but the majority of items is more associated to cultural influence on romance and delusional mental disorders.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2016 at 2:28 PM, SoulWolf said:

 

 

Did anything ever come of that? It'd be an awesome test to have in checkboxy form... and maybe a bit shorter. Something easier for people to get through, because I'd really love to know what scores people I know IRL get...

 

I got a response to my email saying he wanted to take a look around the site before agreeing to anything. I guess he's taking a really close look because that was several weeks ago and I haven't heard back yet. Maybe he is devising an experiment for us in his lab. :)

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Romantic here agreeing that the quiz was very weird and kind of concerning. After taking it (got a 92) it made me feel almost guilty for experiencing romantic attraction. I feel like some of the questions were kind of over exaggerating what romantic attraction is.

 

I, for one, would never kill someone because of a bad breakup. Jeez. O.o

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find the thinking aro often misrepresents romanticism and love with a negative or shallow vantage. I find the same of the Quiz. I don't think it's a good idea to use that quiz as a starting point, because even though it is thorough, there is a significant chance that it would influence any derivative quiz negatively. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2016 at 6:35 PM, Rising Sun said:

Honestly this test has more stereotypes than true characteristics of romance. There are items that can make the difference, but the majority of items is more associated to cultural influence on romance and delusional mental disorders.

 

IMHO society and culture are hugely important when it comes to both both how romance is expressed and how it can be treated as such an important (and expected) form of behaviour.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't agree with the conclusion that romance is a construct of society. our culture historically just developed to be better able to express their feelings with words. as a non romantic person, TBH, I find any language that implies social romantic ideals as fake or contrived to be a little disheartening. I mean I definitely agree that the pressure to be romantic that I feel as an aromantic is quite aggravating, but I still don't feel comfortable downright insulting romance just because it makes me unhappy... 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 28/07/2016 at 3:29 AM, cute kitty Meow! Mewo! said:

I really don't agree with the conclusion that romance is a construct of society. our culture historically just developed to be better able to express their feelings with words. as a non romantic person, TBH, I find any language that implies social romantic ideals as fake or contrived to be a little disheartening. I mean I definitely agree that the pressure to be romantic that I feel as an aromantic is quite aggravating, but I still don't feel comfortable downright insulting romance just because it makes me unhappy... 

Yeah, I don`t quite agree with that nowadays either. :)

On 27/07/2016 at 10:44 AM, cute kitty Meow! Mewo! said:

I find the thinking aro often misrepresents romanticism and love with a negative or shallow vantage. I find the same of the Quiz. I don't think it's a good idea to use that quiz as a starting point, because even though it is thorough, there is a significant chance that it would influence any derivative quiz negatively. 

Don`t you dare mention that vile excuse for an intellectual. I legit hate that person so much.

Warning point in 3, 2, 1....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2016 at 4:34 PM, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

 

I got a response to my email saying he wanted to take a look around the site before agreeing to anything. I guess he's taking a really close look because that was several weeks ago and I haven't heard back yet. Maybe he is devising an experiment for us in his lab. :)

 

Did you ever get an answer from him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...