What kind of friend constellations do you prefer?

Holmbo

For me, it depends on who it is. I never want anything that big, but if I don't know someone that well, I'm usually don't know what to say, so it's convenient to just be able to not really be noticed while the other people talk. When it's someone I am comfortable one on one, it largely depends on how many people I'm comfortable being around at the moment.

Groups of 4 or 5 are perfect for me. When it's less, for some reasons, I always end up being the one who has to entertain the other(s) if I don't want it to get awkward or boring af. When it's more, there is just too much sounds and different conversations and my concentration just doesn't keep up.

One on one is okay for more serious talks... but I don't like being serious for too long, it gets depressing really fast.

I like being one-on-one because I find that people are more honest, the fewer observers there are. This'll make me sound like an arsehole, but I love it when I'm in a friendgroup of 3-4 people, where one person tells me they dislike another in the group, and then I get to watch the terrible, passive-aggressive interactions play out. It's amusing.

5 hours ago, omitef said:

I like being one-on-one because I find that people are more honest, the fewer observers there are. This'll make me sound like an arsehole, but I love it when I'm in a friendgroup of 3-4 people, where one person tells me they dislike another in the group, and then I get to watch the terrible, passive-aggressive interactions play out. It's amusing.

I'm also guilty of this. I find the interactions in my group rather entertaining ?

There are a number of people I prefer to spend one on one time with because we can have really meaningful conversations, but the perfect number for me is 3 because I'm always heard but don't always have to talk

I prefer one on one for friendship. In a group, I hardly ever talk because someone else always responds to things quicker than I can. I'm very slow with that kind of thing.

But groups are better when I'm with people I don't really want to talk to anyway (like if the topic is mostly small talk or whatever).... I'll just be that creepy silent person who occasionally might make some weird/funny remark, but otherwise speaketh not.

It very much depends. Generally, the ideal number of people involved is inversely proportional to how close I am to them--e.g. I generally tend to hang out with larger groups of my friends from my dorm, because while I'm not all that close to any of them individually, that's balanced out by being able to contribute to the interactions between them, if that makes sense, while with my closer friends, I can easily spend the whole day with just them or maybe 1 or 2 other people.

If we're really close, one-on-one is great, or groups of 3. Otherwise, bigger groups are better so it doesn't get awkward. :P

If it's a friend I especially haven't gotten to talk to alone in a while, I really value one-on-one time with them.

• 2 weeks later...

4-5 is best for me. Less makes me anxious and awkward, more makes me feel disconnected and like I'm not being heard. I try not to show it much, but I actually don't like 1 on 1 conversations even with people I'm close with. For example, on Discord, I'm more likely to pick up a group call than if I'm being called by just one of my friends. (Ye I sometimes don't pick up when my best friend calls me because I'm a shitty little introvert who doesn't have the energy fo dis shit yo)(But it's like it takes less social energy in a group?? idk)

• 7 months later...

Archived