Being aro in education

Philbo Wiseroot

29 minutes ago, aussiekirkland said:

That was the absolute worst. All of the girls loved the movie and of course my aro ass hated it

I remember an old discussion on AroPlane arguing that Romeo and Juliet was a dark comedy, with two overdramatic teens causing so much senseless death and grief over a relationship that wouldn't have lasted five minutes anyways. (I wish I could remember the entire argument, but I read that post many years ago and unless the person also posted that argument to AVEN, those thoughts probably got lost when AroPlane died.)

Seriously, they're young teens who think every time they fall in love that they've met their damn soul mate. Most people roll their eyes when young teens make grand declarations of love like that, why is this any different? (I guess this is why self-insert romance novels are popular >> )

On a different note, I feel damn lucky that I'm not a vocalist, because even when talking about Western Art Music, so many works focus on either love or religion, and I really don't relate to either of those well. Thankfully, talking about things like Medieval "courtly love" sounded just as ridiculous to me as it did to everyone else when I took music history.

I think the nonmusicians are worse about that though actually, because when I graded papers for a music appreciation class, love came up way too damn much. They had to create a scene set to an instrumental work, and good god, the love stories were so damn cliche. (And holy shit, why do non-saxophonists think Kenny G is actually good? I lost count of how many people said they wanted to play his music at their weddings.) Heck, I remember one girl wrote about a gay couple, explicitly stating that she wanted to do something different, and it was still so goddamn cliche! The irony was that I spent my entire Valentine's Day grading those papers, so I must have seemed so bitter xD 

I'm currently taking a Gender and Sexuality in World Civilizations class, and for the parts where I haven't been cringing at how poorly the very, very cis professor has handled the gender theory parts of the course, it's actually been somewhat refreshing in a way to be in a situation where I can actually talk about things like how problematic society's views on relationships are in real life in a context that's not me just ranting about it with fellow members of the ace club I run. I actually got to introduce my class to the term amatonormativity in discussion last week, and people (including my professor) actually listened and took me seriously.

As much as I can recall, being a student while I haven't yet discovered aromanticism and asexuality and its spectrums at that time, I thought it was normal that I haven't kissed a guy, neither dated one. The only things that were etched in my mind were to focus on my studies; get high or perfect grades (because at that time, my parents were really strict about failing grades to the point we could be punished for it); stay out of trouble and my growing collection of music, video games and monthly reading material (W.I.T.C.H. and K-Zone). Although I did experience having crushes, which turned out to be just cringeworthy infatuations and me being a massive twit at that time.

I remember when I was in first year high school when our batch had a lot of students who were dating each other to the point that our principal called them into their office and forced the couples to break up in front of them. That disturbed me a lot. On my fourth year, I experienced this; although I'm not sure if this one can also be an aro thing.

When I graduated high school and started college, one of the older students was bothering me a lot. Doing his so-called flirting and 'stalking' (not that serious, but y'know, like the 'joking' kind) with others chiming in that 'we'd make a good couple', even though I repeatedly tell them all that I'm not interested at all. It came to the point that I threatened to 'punch' the guy if he won't stop annoying me. And the guy just replied back 'alright then. hit me'. Let's just say...that I actually did hit the guy, but in his shoulder. A few months after, it stopped. Hopefully because he was intimidated by me and my strong lack of interest in him, but we remained as schoolmates/acquaintances until he graduated.

The last and final experience was 8 years back when I met another student whom at that time I was close to and had a suppressed crush on that briefly grew into an unknown emotional bond. I'm not gonna put in on the details here since it was a long and messy incident, but if you're curious to know how it all went out, I talked about it on my welcome post on AVEN (content and trigger warning for TMI, catfishing, bullying and sob story, so be warned).

Looking back on these experiences, it made me realize today that I do have little to no attraction, can't determine if all of it was real or not, in theory/non-reciprocated, desire a relationship, and used to have an emotional bond with; but it also intensified my repulsion, which is more predominant for years.

8 hours ago, aussiekirkland said:

That was the absolute worst. All of the girls loved the movie and of course my aro ass hated it

By the time my class watched the movie I had just given up. The thing that pissed me off the most was that Juliet pops her brains out with a gun which meant she couldn't give a nice long suicide monologue whilst slowly pulling her insides out with a dagger which I would have found much more captivating to wrap up that shitfest.

10 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

By the time my class watched the movie I had just given up. The thing that pissed me off the most was that Juliet pops her brains out with a gun which meant she couldn't give a nice long suicide monologue whilst slowly pulling her insides out with a dagger which I would have found much more captivating to wrap up that shitfest.

Romeo and Juliett is one of those plays or films that is just so ingrained (as is the reason for it - that everyone likes romance) that we kinda have to deal with it. I hate it, but we must. I much preferred The Tempest, which was the GCSE exam play the year I took it (2009). Magic is more fun than constant romance. 

Am I the only one who actually didn't mind Romeo and Juliet when my school forced me to watch it? I can't watch a purely romance movie because there's no substance, but Romeo and Juliet isn't purely romance. I found the interactions of the other characters to be quite interesting. For me Romeo and Juliet isn't just about all the lovey dovey stuff, it's about the feud between the two families; the romance just drives the plot.

12 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

Am I the only one who actually didn't mind Romeo and Juliet when my school forced me to watch it? I can't watch a purely romance movie because there's no substance, but Romeo and Juliet isn't purely romance. I found the interactions of the other characters to be quite interesting. For me Romeo and Juliet isn't just about all the lovey dovey stuff, it's about the feud between the two families; the romance just drives the plot.

The family feud is laid out at the beginning and never explored as a multi-dimensional plot point afterwards imo. Also I just realised there's no introverted character development; it's very much just a series of events involving a 13 year old (my sister's age ffs) girl and a 15-ish year old boy. If it was made in the 20th century it probably wouldn't have taken off just because of the shallow characters. Romeos biggest character developments are when he goes from one bad idea to another and still messes everything up (those things that pave the road to hell; they're called good intentions). I mentioned 'The Lobster' in #littlearomoments but to be fair it's quite a good movie. Cookie-cutter British RomComs from the 1990s & 2000s are all pretty much the same humour, same premise, same obstacles, same letdown & breakup that leads to the same ending. You don't need to add zombies to make it worthwhile (although that helps) because even showing the journey of a character's mind/outlook on life adds so much to a plot. I'm actually gonna change my signature to a list of really good romantic movies now so you're welcome anyone who has looked at that horrible list.

Side note: I like it when in a story/movie the characters role matches the stakes of the situation. Nearly all the time this is easily achieved but when for example you're shown world ending stakes and the forced to watch some random survivors wait it out is feels silly just because what happens to them affects the ending in no way. I didn't know where to put this but it's here so there you go.

On 09 October 2016 at 2:00 PM, Kaiger Pufflehugs IV said:

cough Romeo and Juliet cough

I could feel my braincells dying while watching that. And we watched it twice... there was the movie, and then we physically went to go see a play at an actual theatre as well.

Not to mention all the worksheets and crap.

I want those braincells back :(

9 hours ago, SoulWolf said:

I want those braincells back :(

RIP Brain Cells. Your deaths were very much in vain.

Worst thing of all: there are so many better Shakespeares to do. Much Ado About Nothing may be romantic but it's still entertaining and not sappy. And the characters are all over 20 (not under 15)

12 minutes ago, Louis Hypo said:

Much Ado About Nothing may be romantic but it's still entertaining and not sappy. And the characters are all over 20 (not under 15)

I watched that with my mum a while back and it was quite enjoyable. It's a stange feeling not being able to fully understand what the characters are saying, and yet still finding it funny. Sometimes I'll act like I'm romance repulsed when I'm chatting on the discord server but I'm really extremely neutral about it.

Actually thinking back I guess I was kind of lucky in high school. One of the works we had to analyse was "The Great Gatsby" but instead of having the main focus be on the romance (of which I thought was incedibly stupid) we focused on "The American Dream". So that was kind of nice. Other works we had to analyse were "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Death of a Salesman" neither of which have any romance (that I know of. I didn't exactly read the whole of "To Kill a Mockingbird". I don't think it has any romance though).

11 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

I didn't exactly read the whole of "To Kill a Mockingbird". I don't think it has any romance though

That is correct. :)

I guess the biggest problem was lack of self-esteem. Because I didn't have any experience with girls, I thought I was less accomplished than my dating peers. There was also a constant nagging pressure that I would be asked about it, and potentially ridiculed.

8 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

There was also a constant nagging pressure that I would be asked about it, and potentially ridiculed.

I hear you about this one. The same thing goes with being asked when will I get married. Especially within my familial and family friends' circles.

Its hard to tell/come out to people I talk to who bring out the R and M words (relationship and marriage) and tell them that I'm a predominantly repulsed complex gray-romantic gray-ace, which they won't understand at all and just comment back that I haven't found the right guy/I just identify as such because I read it on the Internet. The only thing I can tell them for now is that I have a lot of things to focus on that are far more important than those two (which are very true).

On 09/10/2016 at 1:00 PM, Kaiger Pufflehugs IV said:

cough Romeo and Juliet cough

I wonder how this play would have been seen in the 17th century.
Given that romance was nowhere near as important or normative as it is now.

On 10/9/2016 at 9:06 AM, Mezzo Forte said:

I remember an old discussion on AroPlane arguing that Romeo and Juliet was a dark comedy, with two overdramatic teens causing so much senseless death and grief over a relationship that wouldn't have lasted five minutes anyways. (I wish I could remember the entire argument, but I read that post many years ago and unless the person also posted that argument to AVEN, those thoughts probably got lost when AroPlane died.)

By the way it's laid out, I see Romeo and Juliet as kind of a deconstruction of the comedy genre (as it existed in that time).  It begins as a fairly standard Renaissance-era romantic comedy, but becomes tragic as the expected tropes go wrong and Mercutio is killed.

On 10/10/2016 at 4:01 AM, Zemaddog said:

I found the interactions of the other characters to be quite interesting. To me Romeo and Juliet isn't just about all the lovey dovey stuff, it's about the feud between the two families; the romance just drives the plot.

I agree with the point that the romance in this book was obnoxious and over the top, but honestly the characters were just so great. Despite his crude sense of humor, Mercutio was dearly loved by my English class xD and honestly, I feel like sure, the deaths of Romeo and Juliet were pivotal points in the book blah blah blah, but honestly, when Mercutio died I feel like it was the most important scene as it showed how the two houses has truly gone too far and was such a turning point. I enjoyed the feud and the story behind that aspect of the book a lot.

• 6 months later...
On 21.9.2016 at 4:35 AM, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I figured I had plenty of time to do that which everybody had to do. :) I'm glad I waited.

yea, I didn't figure it out and got into the most stupid relationship you could possibly think of.. Good thing is I learned some from it ^^

• 4 months later...

What I remember of high school was there were three groups, in the group I was in new couples would be teased for being together for the first few weeks so there weren't that many people pared up, or wanting to pair up. Later I found out our group was a haven for basically all of the in-the-closet people which might have had something to do with the not much interesting in dating or letting people know about dating or interests. 

On 22/09/2016 at 8:57 PM, Zemaddog said:

Now that I'm at uni, I notice this sort of stuff even less

Yes. Uni didn't really seem to have much of a love seeking or sex culture. People were too into studies and learning and doing things with friends. I have had friends complain to me about the lack of coupling culture, especially foreign exchange students. So maybe it is just the uni maybe ?

Archived