Myers Briggs

Confirmed Bachelor

I believe I'm ISTJ. Although I have only taken one test and that was a few years ago now. An excellent personality type for a scientist I think. That test actually said I was 100% introverted so...

EDIT: Haha, I break the chain of INTJs! Although, not by much...

INTP here =D 

6 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

When I was reading about being INTP there was a section on love and relationships and I thought `ha no thanks!`

There's a section about that on everyones profil ^^ 

I recommend this page to read up on your profil. It's webdesign might be an abomination but the text is super insightful and way more nuanced =D 

It also divides social in relationships in general, lovers, family and friends. 

• Like 1

The real MBTI is a loooong test, with questions scaling on a continuum and you can leave neutral answers if nothing really fits. Lot's of the free ones online are abbreviations or incomplete. There's also been a rise of different "versions" due to it's popularity, which I find baffling, seeing as there's only one real and complete version out there. 

Boring yadda yadda? 

Spoiler

That being said, the MBTI is far from being a good test. For one thing. it lacks validity, aka nobody is really sure if it really measures what it's supposed to measure (some critics even say it's just fortune telling in questionnaire form). Only the Introvert-Extrovert scale seems to have real value. For another, it does not filter out lying or "giving socially accepted answers", so you just have to believe that everyone is telling the truth (consciously and subconsciously). There's also people who question the objectivity of the institute that makes money with it's implementation.

As far as personality test's go, the Big 5 model (measured by the NEO-PI-R and it's smaller brother the NEO-FFI) is way more reliable, studied and widely used. It doesn't give you fun acronyms though and as far as I know you can't just take the full test anywhere online (it's freakishly long as well). 

The MBTI is fun though. As long as professionals use it wisely (and acknowledge it's flaws), I have no qualms with it, but yeah, it's results are to be taken with a spoon full of salt.

• Like 5

Okay so which one is the real one?

more yadda

Spoiler

I think the E & I part is also tricky, cos its based on a neurotypical, able bodied expectation of behaviour and other privileges.

There are people who are physically not capable of socializing because they get tired too soon, need help to leave the house, have no money, no car, no free time? If you are autism spectrum or depressed, have ptsd, anxiety, does that really make you an I? Or if other factors will decide some questions? For example, if you ask a dyslectic person to choose between a social event and a book, they will probably go for the socializing. They may not be social butterflies, just really hate reading.

And then the rest is kinda dodgy. Are you tidy and organized by nature, or you just learned to be because of your job? People in the military, healthcare, sciences have to be organized, methodical, tidy. You are trained, conditioned to be, otherwise the whole thing does not work. But as soon as they leave the workplace, they might act differently. Mental illness can also make an otherwise tidy person really messy. OCDs may make you look tidy, but you may not actually be.

People with bipolar might give you quite different answers depending on when you ask them.

A person with attention and concentration problems, dyspraxia will be automatically sorted into the other group, because of the lack of alternatives.

This whole "you are not X, therefore you must be Y" logic is not really working.

• Like 4

I don't actually know if any online quiz is "the real one"TM. I've taken both MBTI, NEO-PI-R and the NEO-FFI (along with lots of other tests), while I was still studying psychology. We had test theory lessons and as a way to learn how to properly analyse and interpret a test, we usually filled them out ourselves. The 16personality site might just be the real one, I wouldn't know, as I don't remember all the items (should be close to 100). I've seen version, that are way to short, though. 

Yadda yadda =D

Spoiler

These are good points and you're right. 

The (real) MBTI as well as all personality tests compare your scores with the mean of a huge group of people, divided into subgroups. To interpret them, you usually have to give your country of origin, age and gender (among others, depending on the questionnaire), so you can be compared to your appropriate comparison group (f.exp. there are huge cultural differences, as well as birth order differences). These test are tools though, meant to help further studies or identify tendencies (and tendencies only) of personality or mental disorder. They are not meant to be used or seen as detached things that have value on their own. 

These aren't just blindly used on everybody either. For one thing, the practicing physician/counselor/psychiatrist has to see any benefit in applying the test to a specific person.If it seems helpful in treatment or counseling or whatever it was used for, the interviewer has to interpret it. Just like you said, a high score on introversion says nothing about the "why". A human has to find that out on their own and act accordingly. That's also why there is no personality test that JUST measures Introversion-Extroversion. All factors/categories of the test matter. That's why online tests are practically "self diagnoses" and carry little meaning on their own.It's like measuring your own pulse or checking if you have a fever. Sure, you have some data now and are probably able to make an educated guess, but you'll need a doctor to diagnose the cause.

One personality test shouldn't stand on it's own either. If, for example, somebody has a way higher than average score on the Big five conscientiousness factor, this might indicate but not prove a form of OCD. The person has to actually take a test measuring pathological behavior to justify a diagnose, assumed that the test interviewer even deems it necessary depending on the person their dealing with and their goals. On the flip side, if you are already diagnosed with bipolar disorder or at the very least suspected to have it, there's little reason or merit in applying a broad personality test

All questions in the Big Five were tested a lot down to every single word used. And there's more than one item for each category/factor. Ever noticed that psychology test are sometimes seemingly needlessly repetitive? There's a reason for that, because on average, people tend to widely differ in the answers they give, depending on how a question is asked, rather than their eminent meaning. That's why there are a lot of the same questions, phrased differently. There are also questions, meant to filter bias or social acceptance for certain types of answers. There's a whole field that only test's tests on their validity (aka testing if the items on the questionnaire really measure, what they are supposed to) called Test Theory and it's  mind boggling and involves lots of test subjects testing test items xD  They usually specialize in making the test as inclusive and bias free as they humanly can (on average).

There are tons of studies involving the Big Five model, that want to add nuance/sub-categories, too. That's the real beauty of it. It helps us to further understand what makes people tick and find ways, to treat them accordingly. Remember the birth order thing I mentioned above? Turns out it has a significant impact on your Big-5 results, weather your a middle child or a first born or single. The more we learn, the more we can adapt our tests and the more inclusive we can be. I'd personally love to see the big five studied with non-binaries. (The R in NEO-PI-R, for example, stands for "revised". Another reason why I wouldn't trust the MBTI, it hasn't been updated in forever.)

TLDR;; Test theory is a fascinating field full of people who try hard to come up with good ways to understand and interpret the human psyche. It however, focuses on averages in pre-determined subgroups and is completely meaningless on it's own. It's a tool, not an end result. It needs a human interpreter and follow up test to gain any merit and even then, it can still be wrong. No test is perfect and all inclusive, that's why we need humans to interpret it on the individual level and researchers to improve them =) 

• Like 4

I decided to do some reading up on the INTJ personality type. Funnily enough one of the traits of INTJs is "clueless at romance". I did find it strange that they put this as one of the weaknesses, but maybe that's just my aroness showing xD.

I would like to say that everyone should keep in mind that these are personality types. Think of them as a sort of guide as to how people act. In reality our personality is strongly effected by our experiences. I once met a man (an amazing man I might add) who told me, "You are the product of the five people you spend the most time with". Just think about that for a while.

• Like 5

INTP

I always have to point this out in MBTI posts: I think it's well worth it to note that MBTI doesn't function on it's own. Jungian cognitive functions work hand in hand with the MBTI personality test, as well as explain the Myers-Briggs type in further detail, and how your type came to be. I definitely think people interested in MBTI should at least check out cognitive functions because it's less categorized than the MBTI and much more in depth.

A tumblr user named Eilamona has also collated the relationships between MBTI and several other personality tests, so if anyone wants to be more sure of their types, I recommend you check that post (which I can't find at the moment) along with actually doing the personality tests.

• Like 1

I guess I'm the only INFJ here? Figures, as it is the rarest type. I'm a fan of MBTI, it has the fun of astrology but with accuracy. I've done the test a couple of times over the years and have gotten the same result every time so I'm pretty confident with it (the analysis are also very accurate, since my I and N bars are very strong in the test results)

• Like 2

I can't remember what result I get, but I can remember that the last time I took it I got a completely differnet result because my mental health was bad which I found interesting.

I remember my mum saying that when she takes these tests they always say that her and my dad wouldn't work out as a couple xD