Myers Briggs

Confirmed Bachelor

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This test is so frustrating. You are supposed to pick answers to questions and the answers are not mutually exclusives most of the time. You can't answer "None" or "Both" you are just conflated with "neutral about it".

But anyway, INTP too.

Question : are INTX personalities overrepresented here because of our comon experience as aro or just because it's an internet forum about a niche subject requiring introspection to sort out ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Rando said:

This test is so frustrating. You are supposed to pick answers to questions and the answers are not mutually exclusives most of the time. You can't answer "None" or "Both" you are just conflated with "neutral about it".

This is the most obvious flaw with the entire test. There are few parts of it which don't involve a false dichotomy.

On 6/6/2020 at 2:26 PM, John Rando said:

Question : are INTX personalities overrepresented here because of our comon experience as aro or just because it's an internet forum about a niche subject requiring introspection to sort out ?

That's often a question I wonder about. I kinda hope that aromanticism is equally common no matter personality, cause that would make it feel more valid to me somehow. Although I suppose it could be that being aromantic in itself has a big impact on the development of ones personality. If you're different from others it might cause you to grow more introspective. And not having romantic feelings might cause you to embrace your logical side more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised but also not surprised about how many INTx types are here. 

Surprised because I thought there'd be aro spec people of all types and it wouldn't be skewed at all. But not surprised because the vibes of this site do seem pretty INTx haha. 

I never share my Myers Briggs type but if anyone is actually curious, my About Me page should give a pretty good idea of what type I am. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 10:26 PM, John Rando said:

INTx types are over-represented in pretty much every kind of MBTI self-assessment. Various factors contribute to this; one example is that people generally see themselves as more rational than they actually are. 

On 6/6/2020 at 10:26 PM, John Rando said:

Two things to mention here:

1. Tests with binary options have a LOT of flaws in determining your MBTI type because they simplify the whole system down to E versus I, N versus S, etc. This is not at all how actual MBTI types work. For example it's a common misconception that the difference between say, ENTP and INTP is simply that ENTP is more extroverted and INTP is more introverted. That's not true at all. They have completely opposite primary cognitive functions (extraverted intuition versus introverted thinking). 

2. It's absurd to think that everyone fits neatly into one of 16 personality types. Personalities exist on a spectrum. Some people fit very well with a given MBTI personality type; others are vaguely borderline between multiple types. Like any other psychological categorisation, MBTI types are more useful for some people than others. If you don't neatly fit one of the pre-described boxes then the whole system is probably a waste of your time.

Edited by eatingcroutons
  • Like 2

I've taken this before a couple of times and it never really seems to work for me. It's always I and then ??? because I score right on the middle of all the other letters so I get arbitrarily given a different set of them every time.

I definitely agree with those who've been pointing out the flaws with the MBTI. I think the other problem for me was that I was always asked to take it in a school or work setting so the group could compare types and talk about how different personalities have to learn to work together... 

I'm starting to think that MTBI type has taken the place of star signs for a lot of people.

INFJ, apparently! I used to get that as a teen, then for about a year I always seemed to get INTP but I retook a test last year as part of a uni assignment and got INFJ, so after a few attempts on various sites and getting the same result I think it's probably right! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 8:26 AM, John Rando said:

Maybe, but I'm an INFP so :P. Sometimes I get INFJ, although I think I'm more of an INFP myself. As for nature... depends how confident I feel lol

INTJ....it's funny we talked about personality type stuff like this in one of my engineering classes and they're like "the stereotypical engineering is INTJ" and like yes, yes I am.

Did the big 5 thing too: 

Openness: 56%

Conscientiousness: 67%

Extroversion: 58%

Agreeableness: 41%

Neuroticism: 60%

I think aros are more likely to be introverted, at least according to personality tests like this.  (not that all are of course, but compared to general population).  There's also more complicated stuff like overlap with neurodivergency and stuff, and how these kinds of tests are based more off of neurotypical people and other demographically bias sets and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Every test has consistently given me INTP but I identify with both INTP and INFP, definitely don't agree that everyone is in a strict box and predominantly either uses feeling or thinking. They must be able to occur parallel rather than at opposite ends to one another surely? But yeah I do find it fun and pretty interesting seeing people in different categories tbh.

Also interesting how many INTX on here

• 4 weeks later...