What are your favorite words (in any language)?

The Angel of Eternity

What are your favorite words (in any language)? If you list your words, but you remembered another word that you didn't list, always remember that there's nothing wrong with posting here again (or editing your original post). Also, there's no limit as to what you can put here. If your favorite word is vulgar and you'd still like to share it, I won't judge you. This will be a judgment-free zone to share words that tickle your fancy.

My favorite words that currently come to mind are "steadfast", "bereft", "Jerusalem", "Salem", and "impending".

• Like 3

ödmjukt, besynnerlig, förunderlig, jærtegn, svävande, glimt, lykta, drottning, anrik, astrologi, domherre, konung, viktoriansk, väva, tydlig,

as for english words, the only ones that come to mind atm are obscure, curious, clarity, cherish, meticulous & clockwork

sorry there are so many haha

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The Angel of Eternity said:

The word "remember" is only said twice throughout this song, but both times, it is so distinct and beautiful-sounding. I think you'll like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5B1lOmU5LM

That was a lovely song! You were right about "remember" being distinct and beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing that!

• Like 2

Dutch: eekhoorn (= squirrel), English: cauldron, French: noir (this is very unoriginal), langoureuse (= languishing, languid), German: Nebel (= fog, nebula), Greek: ψυχή (psyche, but I like that in Greek it's a four letter word), Russian: мир (= peace, world),

On 4/22/2020 at 12:20 AM, Atlamillia Pixie said:

Menagerie

that's a great one!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

French: blanc. I dunno why, I just liked how it sounded when I was younger.

English: Dociousaliexpisticfragicalirupus (Can't even say it though, it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious backwards though! Not spelt that way, but you get the idea.)

• 3 weeks later...

English: symphony, quixotic, sixpence, petrichor 

Variety of Aboriginal Australian languages/dialects or Anglicised versions used for town names: Narrandera (Town), Tiddalik (Frog from Dreamtime), Wilcannia (Town), Tjilbruke (Character from Dreamtime), Uluru (Ayers Rock), Anangu (Tribe name/dialect name), Kudlila ('Winter' in Karuna language), mulla mulla (Plant/place name)

Edited by Apathetic Echidna
I thought I'd be nice and ad translations
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In french : arcade , cristal, épine, val, outre-mer, pic, citadelle, mystère, tombe, saul, conte, éolien, miroir, météor

In english : petrichor, sand, mist, seer, window, willow, shire (but the thing with english is that even if i know it, more than half of the time i don't instinctively get the prononciation right)

That's a lot ? i could find more but

Edited by Guest

My native, you're not supposed to be proud of speaking Japanese if you're actually Japanese. You *will* get screamed at it, even by very "liberal" Westerners who say they want to "help immigrants." 

But I'm so proud of my native language for two reasons:

A. Gender neutral way to refer to someone, either name+honorific or "that person" are completely natural speech and considered polite. I'm binary male, but I'm very proud of that inclusion. (Even if the culture is gendered, most gendering in *speech* is self-gendering, not others-gendering. In fact, using "she" or "he" like you do in English sounds unnatural and marks you as non-native speaker!)

B. The word for "gentrification" is 階級浄化, lit. class-cleansing. (Which over here, racism gets added to it) I love how my native calls it out head-on. 

• Like 4