What are your favorite words (in any language)?

The Angel of Eternity

English: pitter patter, rambunctious, cognizant, waffle (as a verb), perspicacious, dilly dally, frenetic, killjoy, bucolic

Japanese: 困る、やばい、ふざける、紅葉、もっぱら、溺愛、無謀、優柔不断

French: crépuscule, garçonne, carrément, arracher, sot, ludique, onirique, verlan

Edited by yupppp
fixed spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In German I'm a big fan of the word Handshuhe. It just makes me think of shoes on hands lol. Tbh I'm a big fan of a lot of German's compound words and part of why I'm learning it.

As for english words I like the word floccinaucinihilipilification just because it's so long and almost completely useless (it means "the estimation of something as worthless" if you were wondering). But as for my favourite english word it would have to be sus. It's short for suspicious, but unlike pretty much every shortened word that we aussies use, sus is actually more useful than the original because it can be used as a verb as well as an adjective.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Knowledge, blasphemy, hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, andante, prestissimo, and flautando all are fun to say. Music terminology has some pretty interesting words from multiple languages, mostly Italian, French, and German. Fortissimissimo is probably my favorite one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

guache? Its so fun to say. pthalo is fun to say if you don't get hung up on the p. Pthalo green and pthalo blue are the best ocean colours. 

I've seen the chinese character gender neutral pronoun (not the 'it' one, someone came up with a new one) and I love it. instead of having a gender radical on the left, it has 'immortal', as in the eight immortals*. so, like a god. yeahhhhhh :)

*I may be wrong because I only saw the new character once and my mandarin is kinda rusty

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I like the German word ‘einladen’, which means to invite someone. But since it literally translates to ‘loading something in’ I just picture somebody in a truck, driving around and loading their friends in the back to have a party 😅

In Dutch I like the many weird insults we have for people, my favourite being ‘droeftoeter’ which translates to ‘sad trumpet’ and it is describing a person who is acting so dumb it makes you sad.

• Like 6

I was trying to link to the original post from tumblr thoodleoo but my computer is not complying - ancient greek word of the day: αἰγίλιψ, "devoid of goats; hence, incredibly steep, to the point that not even goats can climb it". Goatforsaken.

Also, the welsh word for carrot is moron. And I enjoy that immensely.

• Like 5