Aro representation in the media

So! two part question for fun-

1) What kind of things would you like to see more of in regards to aro representation in the media (Examples - specific genres, specific identities, intersectionality, ect)? 

2) Have you seen any media meet, or be close to, your desires from question 1? If so what was it?

• Like 1

Mine:

1) I would like to see more aro characters in general, we're pretty much non-existent in media. But with specifics: I'd like to see multiple aro characters in the one show, with multiple intersecting identities, for example an autistic aro and an allistic aro, so we can provide representation; without accidentally implying an inherent link between the two identities. I'd also like to see specifically nonbinary aros, since thats how i identify, and i'd like to see aros portrayed positively in comedy; as it's my favourite genre :)

2) At the moment nothing quite lives up to that, but I'm attempting to write an aro short film at the moment (Cupid's Aro) which would address a lot of those points, and keep lightly annoying my friends into agreeing to write a-spec short films/webseries with me :D  

• Like 4

1) I would like to see trans/non binary aros in media. Well, for obvious reason (i am non binary) but also because trans characters are , i feel, often very romantic for some reason? And also, uh, just aros in general? Because it's not like i have seen a lot of them ? 

2) Meh. I didn't.

I love to be aro represeted as a valid identity, not something to fixed or linked to a disease, to a mental condition, to a trauma, or whatever. Even if a character could have a disease etc, make it clear that aromanticism is not linked to it.

I don't have a specific wish for sexuality or gender, though I think it will be cool if the aro is not ace too, because people still think it is the same thing.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

1) I'd like to see a human aro. Like nonmerci said, mental conditions and stuff are fine as long as those things aren't linked.

2) Nope, never seen something fit this very, very small criteria. Literally all you would have to do is write your run of the mill protagonist and make them aro. Doesn't even need to be a main one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K has a canonically aromantic lead! Of course, I doubt aromanticism is something the author is familiar with, but the main character says in the first few episodes that he has no interest in romance and spends a good portion of the series avoiding it.

• Like 1

1) I would like to see aro that can not be considered as loosers and aros that display a lot of strong love feelings.

2) There is a manga translated in French "Aromantic (love) story" about an aroace mangaka. I have not completed it so I'm not sure if she is really aro though. Some people try to fix her which I find quite annoying.

Edited by Ch0c0
  • Like 1

1) I will be content if I see an aro character who lead a normal life, that it is labelled specifically as aro but they show him as an average human being. Because we are normal in the sense that we want to be accepted. By not making a whole season trying to "fix" they, just living an average life, it would help to not see us as some mythic animal (It is our secret and we cannot be discovered). 

2) Nothing has come close. The only show that I know who has gone and put non binary character as more than sex objects, or people with mental illness or something to "fix" is sense 8. For me it opened the door to see character by how they truly are, and not what they want me to believe they are. Ofc none of the characters identify as aro, ace, but nevertheless they are portrayed as something to take real pride. no series (in my opinion) has done this with their characters.

• Like 1

1) Character who definitely they must be identified as aromantic (people questioning can't find out good info if they don't know the word!) in some sort of visual media. 

I've been talking with teachers recently and there seems to be a real shift with kids scorning non-visual media as focused entertainment, so unless these kids are introduced to a strong enough motivation they don't significantly sway from that preference. (I'm probably going to have to unpack this sentence but basically 'watching something is more attractive to more people than reading/listening alone')

2) As for the visual media I consume I have seen none. (Youtubers are real people not characters so don't count for this)  

• Like 2

1. I would like to see an alloaro in the media that isn't made out to be 'shallow' or 'slutty'. Honestly, I just want to see aros represented at all

2. I have not seen anything about aros in mainstream media, I've seen Tumblr posts and website like this but that's about it. I've only recently even heard of the term

• 1 month later...

There are many characters, who can be read as aromantic because they are "too busy to think about love" or whatever. I just want to see someone who is openly aro, but isn't cold or emotionless. And I definitely feel like we need more alloaros

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

1. It would be cool for me if they showed an aromantic character and didn't make their romantic orientation a big thing. Like to show character's hobbies, beliefs, emotions and personality traits without the drama about their inability to love romantically. From everything I've seen it just seems like there's nothing to do in this world except romance.

2. No. Sadly. It means that we're the ones to make our own representation, which is a bit encouraging.

Edited by stas

• 1 month later...

1. i mostly just want more aro representation in general. i don't think i've ever seen an explicitly aro character in a big movie or anything. also, i want some alloaros who aren't treated like they're shallow or manipulative or abusive or slutty. 

2. no. which sucks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 1:07 AM, Vertigo said:

1. i mostly just want more aro representation in general. i don't think i've ever seen an explicitly aro character in a big movie or anything. also, i want some alloaros who aren't treated like they're shallow or manipulative or abusive or slutty. 

Maybe have allo(romantic) characters who are portrayed as shallow, manipulative, abusive or creepy towards an aro lead.

1. Honestly I just want variety. Aro guys, girls, enbys, allos, aces, anything goes. Same variety with genres too—fantasy, sci-fi, contemporary, you name it. I would love a story where a character is just... aro. It's not a big deal, it's not a major plot point. We're far away from that but I would love to see it someday.

2. Loveless by Alice Oseman is one of my top aro book recommendations! The main character is aro ace, and there is a gay ace side character and a (minor, sadly) aro bi one too. For anyone looking for aro book recs, aroace author Claudie Arseneault made a handy database (https://www.obvibase.com/p/N7SD6v1F4mrVBWzV/?location={"type"%3A"table"%2C"databaseId"%3A"N7SD6v1F4mrVBWzV"%2C"queryPath"%3A{"recordPath"%3A[]%2C"columnPath"%3A["1"]}}) for this exact purpose!

Besides that, there isn't much unfortunately. Proper representation would really help our visibility.

To be honest any representation would do, just give me something

In particular I would like to see an old aro. someone who is not cast as a young adult coming to terms with their identity, but has got themself fairly sorted out over the years. knows what they want in life.