Platonic marriage

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd consider it, though it seems highly unlikely to ever happen. 

(well, that and I feel more comfortable with other women so that's not even legal in a lot of places.) 

Actually, it seems kinda nice. I'd want to have a partner, but just not a romantic one. But a friend you wouldn't have to leave when you move to a new place. 

I've considered that before. In fact, I actually wondered for a while what the difference would be between romantic and platonic marriage (because I didn't understand what romance was :P). I still don't, but I think I would marry my best friend one day to be roomies forever haha. I wouldn't want to kiss or anything, probably just live nearby each other or in an apartment and stuff. I think it'd be pretty fun.

I'd be all for it. In fact, that's probably close to my ideal living situation. I'm currently in college and adore living with my friends. The real dream for me would be living in a house with all of my friends for the rest of my life, but as that's impossible I'd take a platonic marriage any day of the week.

Yep! I am bisexual so a marriage with a boy, girl, or non binary would be okay with me. I just don't want romance. I also really want kids. So yes.

1 minute ago, thalia-rose-lovegood said:

Since I want a qpr, a platonic marriage would be ideal. Just imagine: sleepovers. every. single. night, cuddles, tax benefits 

This sounds amazing to me. I just need to find another aromantic asexual or someone who would agree to do this with me. Actually, they don't have to be aro or ace, as long as they didn't have a partner xD and would agree to it. 

No.  I really dislike living with people and much prefer to live entirely on my own. I suffer through having roommates/flatmates because I'm too poor to live alone, but I can't imagine voluntarily choosing to live with someone for an extended period of time.  If I did, it would have to be someone spectacularly compatible with me, who would leave me alone the majority of the time xD  Plus, I'm just not a fan of the whole marriage concept.  Perhaps, if my mindset changes drastically in the future, I would consider a live-in QPR situation.  Still doubtful on the marriage front though.

Haha, I find it kind of funny how starkly different the replies are for this. Some people are very positive about it and say yes, while the others say definitely not xD I think it would be interesting to add a poll to this just to see the numbers.

Although I'd love to live alone, I have certainly considered marriage for the sake of benefits. It still feels unlikely to ever happen though, because I would only go for such a thing if the other party was 100% on board, and I'd have to trust the person deeply enough to feel comfortable with things like a potentially shared income. I'm not counting on it, and while I would love to live alone, I definitely understand the benefits of having at least one other person around, so we'll see what happens in the future. 

1 hour ago, Rythian said:

Would anyone on here consider a platonic marriage with a friend so you could have the benefits of marriage without the romo?

Nope, because I'm pretty sure that I'm romantic. But I'm not. I guess that I'm just gray-romantic, then. :icecream:

Just now, Robin said:

"Friends with legal benefits"

Haha, yeah xD My bestie keeps joking that if we're fifty and neither of us are married, we can get married just for tax benefits.

I would get really lonely living alone forever, but I wouldn't want to get married because I would feel weird about other people assuming it was romantic even if it wasn't. I would prefer a permanent roommate situation over a platonic marriage. 

I would love to get married for the huge family get-together, but I wouldn't want to actually be married to someone. Yes there's the whole tax breaks thing, but you're tying yourself to someone in other legal ways too. So maybe I would like to have a non-legal commitment ceremony with someone who will be my life partner (since I do like the idea of a long term non-romatic relationship). Or I suppose I could just enjoy other people's weddings.

As I'm kinda in a qpr now, and I wouldn't mind platonically marrying someone. I think it'd be fun, you could have a sleepover every night with your best friend :D

Archived