Age correlation

Platonic Greyscale

I know there's at least some people here in their 30's, though I don't know about many older.  I'd say out of aro online spaces, the forums is more likely to included people who are 30, 40+ because they would generally be more familiar with forums as a medium in general (whereas college-aged people like myself tend to be more comfortable with places like tumblr; this is the first forum I've actually used).  Due to a variety of factors it seems like there aren't many older (40+) aros who know they are aro and engage in the community, but I have seen some in those age ranges pop up in various survey results, but typically very few.  I also think older aroaces tend to be in ace communities more than aro communities because they discovered identities earlier when there was only ace communities and thus are already at home in ace communities without as much need to seek out aro communities.  

• Like 4

On the younger side here, I'm 23. I'm really happy to have found this place-- I don't always feel comfortable in spaces specifically made for younger folks. I joined the Discord server listed on the r/aromantic subreddit a while ago and it just really wasn't for me. Most of the people there were in their teens, most weren't adults, and I ended up just leaving. I really like this forum!!

• Like 2

I'm 31. Some of the regulars on AVEN are older and there's a tendency for 20 year olds and younger to not stick around at all, but that's to be expected at a period of uncertainty. Much older members may not be accustomed to online communities nor know they're aro/ace spectrum. Some people just fall out of AVEN because of...well, you know, it's AVEN;)

The age-internet problem will apply here too so we'll see a younger-than-average population too. I guess 20 - 30 would be average, maybe 25 - 30 soon?

Edited by SkyTuneRein
  • Like 3

I have to admit that a lot of the discussion about school and college makes my eyes cross. I only have so much mental capacity for trying to get myself back into that early-twenties headspace to give thoughts or advice; It's exhausting even to remember some of the ridiculous drama that went on when I was at uni. So I'm not super active on these forums compared to on a few Discord servers where there are more people around my own age.

Edited by eatingcroutons
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

36 here. Only really came across the term aromantic a few years ago, and things finally clicked. I think it's pretty common for us "older" people to just go without labeling things. Unless we happen across it somehow, we might not even think to look for it.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2020 at 4:34 AM, yeska_noka said:

36 here. Only really came across the term aromantic a few years ago, and things finally clicked. I think it's pretty common for us "older" people to just go without labeling things. Unless we happen across it somehow, we might not even think to look for it.

I can relate. I'm close to 31 (but can't say I feel "old" ? ), but didn't hear about the term aromantic until a few weeks ago. Suddenly some things made sense. Not sure yet I need to put a fixed label on it, but it really helped to know about it to find about other peoples expericences as here in the forum.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm 36 and, I can see why the community skews young - I basically only found out what aromanticism was well enough to id as such because livejournal was disintegrating and tumblr's reblog function meant that you could see the views and opinions and experiences of a whole heap on people in the one place - posts travelled further which meant you could see stuff from outside your immediate friends' posts. You basically need to be very online and on tumblr or reading the right blogs to know enough to be able to id as aro - or at least you did eight years ago, I'm not sure if there are really good vectors for that kind of thing in parts of twitter or FB but I kind of doubt its likely.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Jackson_Glass said:

@Angrbodawhat is it like to be out of school?

Well, I'm a nerd, so I actually miss it sometimes. LOL

• Like 2

15 hours ago, roboticanary said:

I feel that so much.

School for me was great apart from the fact that I was surrounded by other kids.

SAME! XD

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I can very much relate to the older posters here, in that when I was younger I didnt feel the need to label how I felt (or didnt), and so didnt think much about it until I came across the term and something clicked.

I'm also old enough that forums were a large part of my teens and early tweens, and so have a somewhat nostalgic place in my heart. Its also nice being able to write and rewrite my comments until I am sure I am convaying what I want to say correctly, something much harder with instant messaging.

On 1/30/2022 at 7:25 AM, Angrboda said:
On 1/29/2022 at 3:42 PM, roboticanary said:
On 1/27/2022 at 1:45 AM, Angrboda said:

Well, I'm a nerd, so I actually miss it sometimes. LOL

I feel that so much.

School for me was great apart from the fact that I was surrounded by other kids.

SAME! XD

Some would say I havent really left >.>

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sili said:

I'm also old enough that forums were a large part of my teens and early tweens, and so have a somewhat nostalgic place in my heart. Its also nice being able to write and rewrite my comments until I am sure I am convaying what I want to say correctly, something much harder with instant messaging.

Same! I miss forums being popular, they always felt more homey.

Anyways. I'm almost 29. 

• Like 3