Non-romantic feel good songs

Holmbo

Often when I want to listen to music I search for feel good playlists to find something upbeat. But it's a bit annoying how many of the songs are about romantic love. What recomendations do y'all have for feel good songs without romantic themes? I'll collect them and creat a no-romo feel good playlist :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea what kind of music you like so, I'm just gonna go with what I have in my own playlists. The first thing I added to my Cheer Up! playlist was Pole, by Poeta Magica. Always picks me right up. No lyrics. The rest of that playlist is mostly powermetal, like Dragonforce. Those are usually about glory, rather than romance x)

Lets see what else I have. Vottikaalina is in finnish, I have no idea what it is about. Also have some irish drinking songs about bandits, pretty upbeat. I have saved "I won't let the sun go down on me" that one is in english but I still don't really know what it's about. I think it fits the bill though.

Obviously I have no idea if any of those is your thing or the kind of 'feel good' that you're looking for, but I think I'll leave it here for now ^^

Edited by Jedi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 7:58 PM, Guest KateBishop arrowace said:

I like the song Never Been in Love by Will Jay

It is amazing!!

• Like 1

Fireflies by Owl City

Show Yourself  (Frozen 2)

All My Friends by Owl City

Cinematic by Owl City

Fearless by Malinda 

Fight Song (I really like the cover by Malinda and I've forgotten the original artist at the moment)

Talk to Me by Cavetown 

I'm currently really into vocaloid. The genre can do practically anything. It can create whatever genre the producer desires and it has led to the creation of all kinds of unique songs. However if you simply want upbeat and positive, those can also be found with vocaloid. Just stay away from the depressing and dark side of vocaloid if you're not really into that? Here's some upbeat and positive (depending on how you view positive) vocaloid songs: 

Triple Baka <-- I hope you don't mind listening to songs in a different language. Vocaloid is from Japan, afterall! 

Tell your World <-- Also in Japanese. The translation is a bit iffy but I think you'll get the point. 

Electric Angel <-- This song is about two vocaloids and the love they feel for their "creator". I don't think there are romantic connotations at all. The love expressed is more in the gratitude sense. And yay! It's not Hatsune Miku singing unlike the last two. So if you don't like Hatsune Miku's voice then here's some variation. 

? I tend to listen to the dark side of vocaloid which is why I've just picked some of the more popular songs with positive vibes because I don't know much more than this. There's probably waaay more out there. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest listening to Rina Sawayama's new album

This entire album has nothing to do with romance whatsoever. It's about dealing with racism, capitalism, and reclamation of identity. It also touches over things like missing your ex best friend, self love and chosen family. I honestly can't recall ever going through an entire album that didn't have not one love song... it actually felt really refreshing tbh.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite is Good thing by Zedd ft. Kehlani! I've also found some aro playlists on spotify, although some of the songs on them were a bit too romantic for me, but a good starting point anyway

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gonna add some stuff for people over 20. Songs older than five minutes www

So, first off, they don't really start coming into my native language until pretty recently, 90s, so I mostly have newer stuff by older artists.

Not gonna sort by language, listen like I do.

Himuro Kyousuke-- Bang The Beat (2011, he debuted with a band in '84) 

Dragon Ash-- Attention (2001)

That's literally all I got in the "non-romo but also feel good" in my language and it's not for not knowing much, I'm a walking music database for anything prior to about '94. It's just the old country really loves to slip in a random romo line in a song that's otherwise about literally anything else and yeah, it's annoying. I can name a few punk/other rock songs of the 80s and 90s that don't have any romo, but they're usually more angry than "feel good"

Celia Cruz-- Rie, Llora (Dunno the year but she died in '03) This is all I have in Spanish.

Only the Young, Raised on Radio--Journey (1984, 1986)

Kyrie-- Mr. Mister (1986. Border case depending on read of a vague "you" in chorus, but Kyrie eleison, however you spell that, is *not* a girl's name, as I'd always figured, but some kind of really old Christian chant, er, back when they had chants. I forget what it means. I'm Buddhist, which still has chants) 

Enjoy Yourself-- Kylie Minogue (1989. Dunno if this was released in US, but it was in Japan. If you're a guy and in macho conservative nightmare land, probably should listen to this quietly)

Fly Like An Eagle-- Steve Miller Band (1976) 

Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In-- Fifth Dimension (1969. One of those songs that's actually two songs in one, common thing at the time. It's really the second part that's the "Feel Good") 

Boston-- Peace of Mind (1976)

Doobie Brothers (believe it or not) --Rockin Down the Highway, Jesus is Just Alright (1972. I guess the latter one might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't mind it, and the song is definitely fun driving music, 3/4 time part aside, so I'm putting it here)

Phil Collins-- Heat on the Street (1989. I find it kinda empowering and it's pretty optimistic) 

This is by no means exhaustive, but it's a start. Unfortunately, it was a pretty amatonormative period. 

Edited by chairdesklamp

I'll give you some of my go-tos. 

Everyone's A V.I.P. To Someone - The Go! Team    

Huddle Formation - The Go! Team            

Panther Dash - The Go! Team

We Just Won't Be Defeated - The Go! Team

A lot of the above have nostalgia value for me, and also don't have many/any lyrics, but they're still enjoyable

Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants

Burn the House Down - AJR

Love Love Love - Of Monsters and Men (hear me out) I'm fairly sure the lyrics are from the perspective of an aro person who thought someone who was a friend but then it turned out that they actually had romantic expectations, so debatable, also more chill than upbeat, but it is from the perspective of an aro person so I thought I'd include it just in case

Hard to Kill - Bleached 

I Love You Like a Brother - Alex Lahey (this is actually about her brother)

I Fought the Law - The Clash

Midnight City - M83

Black Smoke Rising - Greta Van Fleet

Brave New World - Greta Van Fleet

Mountain Sound - Of Monsters and Men 

Still Breathing - Green Day

Jumpers - Sleater-Kinney

I just need one energetic feelgood song and that's We are golden by Mika. It's about brushing off hardships, letting loose and throwing yourself at life full speed. I'm especially fond of the line "I live for glitter not you". 

Edited by Oatpunk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, this has no particular theme but heres a few I like which are either instrumentals or lyrics which don't have anything to do with romance. I have no idea what sort of music you want for feeling good so this is just a random ramble through a load of genres just picking songs I find positive.

Mexico - Alestorm (although this does have brief reference to wenches, so casual sex. If you want something not about romance how about pirates going on for a drunken party in Mexico)

Green Onions - Booker T & the MG's 

Sit Down - James (there is a wonderful live version of this which I cannot find at the moment where Tim Booth finishes by saying 'I'd like to invite you all home for milk and cookies', which is just so wholesome)

Go - Public Service Broadcasting (seriously if you want songs with no mention of romance check PSB out, they have albums based on WW2, space exploration and the welsh mining industry)

Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant (a protest song but musically upbeat)

In the Castle of my Skin - Sons of Kemet

Never Fight a Man With a Perm - Idles (a really fun tune, shouty)

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty (SAXOPHONE)

Jimmy's Gang - Parov Stellar

All Star - Smash Mouth (it counts, all right)

YMCA - The Village People (another cheesy choice but again, it counts)

Ebeneezer Goode - The Shamen

Spanish Flea - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass

Fire - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown (what could be more upbeat than shouting 'I am the god of hell fire)

God is a DJ - Faithless

More or less any metal music i listen to haha ! Do it count as upbeat? There is rock too. Music without lyrics is also a good option XD 

Here is some in my playlist (not just metal i guess)

- Universe on fire  by Gloryhammer : this one just...make me laugh a little because it's a little over the top but nice ??

- Wheel of time by Blind Guardians : Idk if it'is really upbeat, it's a long song so it variate actually. I like Blind Guardian in general. They have an album about the lord of the ring lol ! They are sometime classed as a rock band but it's not only that and i am bad at reckognizing music style anyway. I also like "Battlefield" and "And there was silence" from them. 

- Twillight of the thunder god by Amon Amarth : You like Thor: Ragnarok ? Okay just kidding. Now that i am pretty sure it's metal haha! "Raven's flight" from them is cool too

- Pretty much everything i heard from Powerwolf. But i like "Venom of Venus" a lot. Not sure if i would call it "upbeat" but it certainly not "sad" haha.

I actually have more stuff in my playlist but i have a ton of video games music actually haha, or more "ambiant" stuff. Or more "new retro things whatever they are called"

Like Waveshaper - Escape To Eternity (Sir Ridley Remix) , Volkor X : Run away...

Now idk if we have the same notion of "feel good" but that's whay i got

Edited by Guest

Universe on fire  by Gloryhammer : this one just...make me laugh a little because it's a little over the top but nice ??

Damn I forgot about Gloryhammer, very good for non romantic songs. I would also put 'The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee' as a suggestion, if nothing else just for the title.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kings and Queens - Ava Max (does talk about kings and queens like they are couples, but zero reference to romantic feelings and is about female power)

Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield

Just Like Fire - Pink

Thunder - Imagine Dragons (Not sure if "Believer" also counts as feel-good but that's also an Imagine Dragons song not about romance)

Katy Perry's Roar is a very upbeat song about escaping a romantic relationship.

Since someone mentioned Fight Song but didn't remember the original artist, it's Rachel Platten.

Roundabout-Yes

Can we be friends-Tyler the Creator

After the storm-Kali Uchis

Freedom- Pharrell Williams

All I need- Khai dreams

Buttercup-Jack Stauber

Weighing me Down- Deante Hitchcock

The Whole "Being Dead" Thing-from Beetlejuice the Musical

Redbone- Childish Gambino

Yeah no specific genre but I like them a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lucky - Lucky Twice

i really like 2000s pop, felt like this song could make it to the list (plus it's about loving yourself ?‍♀️)

Edited by ilse

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...