Aro Headcanon time!!

On 11/10/2023 at 12:42 PM, DigitalHeartbeat said:

I kind of assume everyone is aro as a default.

Me too! I kinda just automatically assume everyone is both aro and ace until proven otherwise.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:53 PM, Collie said:

I'm just here to say I'm watching Bloom Into You, partly because I heard it has aromantic and aro-spec rep, and I feel so SEEN

There seems to be some difference in opinion over whether or not Yuu is aro spec or not, but I really don't see how she is not at this point. (I finished episode 9 last night.) Def grey-aro imo. This anime is awesome.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 4:15 PM, Eliott said:

I headcanon Sheldon from TBBT as demiromantic and demisexual

i agree with the demiromantic part but i think he is asexual. he did have sex and enjoyed it but i still never got the vibe that he was sexually attracted to amy 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

Riley Freeman from The Boondocks, this might just be because he is a kid lol but he has never shown romantic interest in anyone in the show or even talked abt it really. He believes in homie over hoes 4L9_9

On 11/23/2023 at 1:18 PM, dordor said:

i agree with the demiromantic part but i think he is asexual. he did have sex and enjoyed it but i still never got the vibe that he was sexually attracted to amy 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

Edit; never mind

How do I delete a post? 😄

Edited by Holmbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I headcanon Claude from Fire Emblem Three Houses as aroallo and bi because me too. I also like to think of Hilda as aro, I imagine they enter a marriage of convenience/political marriage in their paired ending. Agent 3 and Marie from Splatoon is another aro headcanon I have just because their colors are like the aro flag. There's no canon romantic relationships in either of these games, so they lend themselves well to aro headcanons.

Edited by dewy

My only real headcanon is Sae Nijima from Persona 5 being aromantic. She is the only female confidant you can't date in the game, she works as a badass prosecutor and is incredibly focused on her work and unfortunately is a victim of sexist remarks from her higher ups like "Why don't you marry and get children instead of working this job full time?", which she showed absolutely no interest in. Making her aro just really fits thematically and her personality so much imo, it's a strong headcanon I got.

Imma still list some characters I can imagine being aro from a few of my favourite characters from fandoms I haven't seen mentioned yet:

- Zinnia from Pokémon gives me aroace vibes

- The Trickster from Dead by Daylight gives me strong aro and perhaps also ace vibes, dude has, uh, "other interests". Also I love how he sort of makes fun of the player for lusting for him in Hooked on You and totally plays with your emotions-

- Hornet from Hollow Knight is such an incredibly independant gal and always seemed like a lone wolf to me, so she could be aromantic.

- Urbosa from Zelda: Breath of the Wild is another case of strong very independant woman, who makes her life about her duty/job and needs no partners to be fulfilled. I'm fond of those heh

• Like 1

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned this yet (I think), but Light Yagami from Death Note is 100% aroace. 

Aromantic because my guy is around SO many gorgeous, beautiful and smart girls, but all he does is use the fact he is handsome to his advantage and never even seemed to consider a relationship. The whole premise of the show at the start is that he is an incredibly smart guy, who is just bored because the world has nothing to offer - Dude could have a relationship anytime he likes, but nope, not even considering it. 

And when it comes to Misa Amane, he doesn't want to be in a real relationship with her even for the sake of manipulating her (Which would be of great advantage to him), he's so straight-forward about pretending, so yknow, he might be romance-repulsed actually. 

About the asexual part, first of all dude denies all the advances of Misa, in the situation he was in he might as well spend a night with her, but he doesn't even look tempted a single time or makes any jokes (Unlike L). Plus there was a scene in which he knew people were watching him via cameras, so to cover himself up (He needed a reason why he would be worried about people entering his room) he read adult comics. Dude read them like he was reading the most boring ass science book, the people.who were watching him even pointed out how staged it looked lmao

• Thanks 1

I found that I officially headcanon a whole entire musical called Company as an aromantic narrative, where the story is centered around a guy named Bobby who is interacting with his married friends, who all come to celebrate his 35th birthday, and they all simultaneously grill him for being single. Other people have done a deep analytical viewing of this musical as a queer narrative, and I highly recommend aroace YouTuber David J. Bradley's (he/they) video about it (Alone. Not Alive. | A Queer Reading of Company).

The whole entire musical feels very Loveless by Alice Oseman to me, in both a good way and a sad way, despite both of these pieces of media being very different. Bobby starts randomly dating people, because he can't seem to officially grasp what it is that he's missing that his married friends seem to just inherently understand, and he even asks a gal friend of his to marry him so that, "Other people can leave us alone" since she too was single after ending a relationship. She turns him down and told him, "You have to want to marry somebody. Not just some body." {Ending Spoiler of Company and Loveless} I would tread carefully with this musical, because what the sad thing about this story is, and what makes it different from Loveless, is that if you read it as an aromantic narrative, Bobby ends up losing, whereas Georgia in Loveless does not. In the final song he sings called, "Being Alive," there's a lyric that Bobby sings that has been repeated throughout the whole entire musical: "Alone is alone. Not alive." If read in an aro way, amatonormativity wins and Bobby doesn't accept his queerness, his aromanticism, where Georgia does. I still see this piece of media as a valid aromantic reading, but unintentional arophobia is rampant within it because of it. It just goes to show how people like Bobby who could've been aromantic, but just didn't have the words for that nor an environment that accepted singlehood, (sometimes) eventually accept the brainwash-y belief that they are broken, that romance will fix them, that they'll need to try again and again and again, and if nothing works regardless of how many times you try, you just land with the next best thing, which is marrying some body. And Hell, in the song "Being Alive" Bobby doesn't even ask for someone specific that he hopes to love, he just asks for anyone.

For some aros, they may see this as viewing as "problematic," or simply just sad, but after watching David J. Bradley's video about his own viewing of Company, some older aros found it cathartic, as in they did what Bobby did for years until they found the label aromantic and felt seen. Of course, the musical as a whole in an aromantic specific perspective is not a win, but the musical is still worth checking out.

Here's the link to David's channel:

https://youtube.com/@DavidJBradley?si=mquSf0jsCWcD8DFi

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
grammar mistakes

Definitely agree about Sherlock Holmes, him being aro is basically book's canon since it's said directly he isn't interested in romance. Yes the Irene thing in the book is mostly admiration of her as a person and opponent, and tends to get shifted more towards romantic in adaptations (but even if so, still somewhere aspec). Asexuality on the other hand isn't stated, I do headcanon him as asexual too through. 100% agree about QPR with Watson. 

Agree about Enjolras too (he was mentioned in the other topic about aro headcanons), while the theme with "the motherland is his only beloved" could be seen as a case of having more important things to do, he also is depicted as genuinely uninterested, uncomfortable and/or not understanding when someone tries to flirt with him. (Whether it's the background girls excited over his looks, or Grantaire who's most often interpreted as crushing on him unrequitedly). Les Miserables were one of my hyperfixations once, and Enjolras' aromanticism (despite I didn't know the word) was one of the reasons I was fond of him. I still enjoy him a lot. 

Agree about Snufkin:) (he also was mentioned in the other topic) Also loved him as a kid, and yeah all he needs for happiness is the beautiful wide world around and his harmonica.

Probably agree on Merida, Elsa and the Madrigal sisters. A young adult woman in a Disney film having no romantic plotline is a rare treat, and very tempting to headcanon as aro:) Should I say by the way I pretty recently have seen Encanto and loved it? Elaborating it can be long. 

I just typically don't ship a character who hasn't shown any interest in romance during the story, basically treating them as well as being aro:) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ekaterina said:

Definitely agree about Sherlock Holmes, him being aro is basically book's canon since it's said directly he isn't interested in romance. Yes the Irene thing in the book is mostly admiration of her as a person and opponent, and tends to get shifted more towards romantic in adaptations (but even if so, still somewhere aspec). Asexuality on the other hand isn't stated, I do headcanon him as asexual too through. 100% agree about QPR with Watson.

Yes, queer Sherlock Holmes! I see him as both aro and gay since I love both of those interpretations, so why not both? I remember in The Sign of Four when Watson got married he was resentful, classic aro experience of being frustrated seeing friends get partners and romance becoming more important than friendship for them. It's a good thing this didn't turn out to be the case for these two, nothing can separate them!

• Like 1

Has someone said Bilbo Baggins yet? I can't even remember if I said something about him yet.

I kind of see him as both aromantic and gay. Sometimes my headcanon will split and I would argue, "He's aromantic!" or other times I'll say, "Oh my Gods he's so gay," but most of the time I end up saying he's both. I absolutely love the friendships he forms with the dwarves, and how he's unmarried and practically raised Frodo by himself. But, sometimes I do like the ship between him and Thorin Oakenshield, even the romantic ones, so a little headcanoning of them being in a QPR does wonders for my soul.

• 2 weeks later...

My newest aro headcanon is Acht from Splatoon. The fandom currently has lots of jokes about Pearl and Marina being all lovey dovey and affectionate and Acht just being so done, and I love it, because same. Also they make a pretty good color picked aromantic flag.

Untitled191_20240226102425.png

On 2/29/2024 at 6:09 PM, Lovebird said:

Hobie Brown is so aroallo to me.

I cannot explain the level of aromantic vibes I get from Hobie Brown. I guess it's because of him being punk, and I get how he's very no labels and there's lots of punks in general who are like that, so when I say he feels very aro to me, or very non-binary to me even, I say it as not to actively label the character as such, but just what I connected with from his presentation (to which a few of the things about being punk is all about breaking binaries, restrictive systems, being anti-establishment/corporation, androgyny, DIY, and so many others things that I feel disrespectful not remembering to list). Also, what I love about his character so much was the nod to how he let Gwen crash with him, and at first you may think, "Oh? Why did you like that aspect?'' and it's because of how very trans-coded Gwen's story was that if you read her running away from her own universe being because her of father not being able to accept her at the time, then Hobie letting her take refuge with him at his place was because he saw her for who she was, and was one of the few people to immediately see her (which was what technically happened anyway, but yeah I loved it).

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

I cannot explain the level of aromantic vibes I get from Hobie Brown. I guess it's because of him being punk, and I get how he's very no labels and there's lots of punks in general who are like that, so when I say he feels very aro to me, or very non-binary to me even, I say it as not to actively label the character as such, but just what I connected with from his presentation (to which a few of the things about being punk is all about breaking binaries, restrictive systems, being anti-establishment/corporation, androgyny, DIY, and so many others things that I feel disrespectful not remembering to list). Also, what I love about his character so much was the nod to how he let Gwen crash with him, and at first you may think, "Oh? Why did you like that aspect?'' and it's because of how very trans-coded Gwen's story was that if you read her running away from her own universe being because her of father not being able to accept her at the time, then Hobie letting her take refuge with him at his place was because he saw her for who she was, and was one of the few people to immediately see her (which was what technically happened anyway, but yeah I loved it).

He's either aroallo, aroace, or demi- depending on my mood. I also think he's non-binary as hell too. Doesn't care what pronouns you use for them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a whole list here:

Leo Valdez from Percy Jackson - aromantic heterosexual

Reyna from Percy Jackson - confirmed asexual, headcannon aroace

Frodo and Bilbo Baggins: Aroace

Donnie, Rottmnt: Bi-angled aroace

Krel, Trollhunters: Aroace, specifically romance-repulsed

Willow Park, The Owl House: Pan-oriented aroace

Hunter, The Owl House: Bi-angled aroace (demi-aroace)

Hiro Hamada, Big Hero 6: Aroace

Merida, Brave: Aroace

Elsa, Frozen: Lesbian-oriented aroace

Isabela Madrigal, Encanto: lesbian-oriented aroace

Jack Frost, Rise of the Guardians: aroace

Mercutio, Romeo and Juliet: aroace, romance-repulsed

Katniss Everdeen, Hunger Games: hetero-oriented aroace

Blitz and Hearth, Magnus Chase: in a QPR???

Pidge, Voltron: aroace

• Like 1

Byakuya Togami, Danganronpa, aromantic.

Kiyotaka Ishimaru, aromantic.

Celestia Ludenberg, aromantic.

Chihiro Fujisaki, aromantic.

Kyoko Kirigiri, demiromantic.

Nagito Komaeda, Danganronpa 2, demiromantic (but interested in other men only).

Hajime Hinata, demiromantic.

Nekomaru Nidai, aromantic.

Akane Owari, aromantic.

Peko Pekoyama, aromantic.

Rantaro Amami, Danganronpa V3, aromantic.

Kaito Momota, aromantic.

Tsumugi Shirogane, aromantic.

Maki Harukawa, demiromantic.

Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney, arospec.

Maya Fey, aromantic.

Miles Edgeworth, demiromantic.

Ema Skye, aromantic.

Franziska von Karma, Ace Attorney 2, aromantic.

Kristoph Gavin, Ace Attorney 4, aromantic.

Klavier Gavin, arospec.

Apollo Justice, arospec.