Aro Headcanon time!!

I haven't seen the movie yet, but Hobie Brown from Spiderman: Across The Spiderverse, gives off such lovepunk (heh) aro vibes. He's already a revolutionist, a non-binary icon/inspiration, and doesn't seem like the type of person to vibe with societal expectations; hetero/allo(ro)/cis/amato/normativity, all that jazz.

And likewise, anything punk (and so punk characters) I automatically connect with not only in a trans way, but in an aro way as well (despite not being punk myself, but I have the spirit).

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but Hobie Brown from Spiderman: Across The Spiderverse, gives off such lovepunk (heh) aro vibes. He's already a revolutionist, a non-binary icon/inspiration, and doesn't seem like the type of person to vibe with societal expectations; hetero/allo(ro)/cis/amato/normativity, all that jazz.

And likewise, anything punk (and so punk characters) I automatically connect with not only in a trans way, but in an aro way as well (despite not being punk myself, but I have the spirit).

Oh yeah spider-punk I forgot about Hobie! XD

Tbh I haven’t even seen the movie but I’ve seen the spot in that movie and oh my gosh does he get SCARY. In the course of four minutes he goes from a joke villain to the most powerful being in the multiverse. 

16 minutes ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

I mean the character just seems like a fun person to be around. Like this dude has a cool accent, loves rock music, is overly extroverted, and loves bagging on capitalism. This is my type of odd one out friend. Well one of them. XD

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sonic the hedgehog, bro doesn't give a fuck about Amy rose, chooses to actively ignore her in most situations. Romance is too slow and boring for him, he wants to spend his days running fast and beating up evil robots.

Papyrus from undertale, dude doesn't even know what romance is, ends up trying to use a book he found at the library to figure out how to date someone, and it fails spectacularly as he has no idea what the book is talking about.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Poopyguy47 said:

Sonic the hedgehog, bro doesn't give a fuck about Amy rose, chooses to actively ignore her in most situations. Romance is too slow and boring for him, he wants to spend his days running fast and beating up evil robots.

Papyrus from undertale, dude doesn't even know what romance is, ends up trying to use a book he found at the library to figure out how to date someone, and it fails spectacularly as he has no idea what the book is talking about.

Oh yeah, I generally felt bad for Amy, but I’d just prefer it if they were friends as a sort of middle ground. Besides that’d be better for sonic and Amy. Though yeah I always viewed her as a whiny little child for only seeming to care about wooing sonic. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You guys, I recently saw moments from the movie Nimona online, and Nimona just seems like a fricking aroace gender-fluid character. There’s no romantic interest in her entire character and she seems more interested in murder and random anarchistic behavior than anything out there. Not to mention a strong obsession with friends over relationships. I sense an aroace, and no one can tell me otherwise. I looked it up, there’s no recorded romantic interest of hers (that I know of). 

• Like 3

On 7/21/2023 at 10:56 AM, HelloThere said:

You guys, I recently saw moments from the movie Nimona online, and Nimona just seems like a fricking aroace gender-fluid character. There’s no romantic interest in her entire character and she seems more interested in murder and random anarchistic behavior than anything out there. Not to mention a strong obsession with friends over relationships. I sense an aroace, and no one can tell me otherwise. I looked it up, there’s no recorded romantic interest of hers (that I know of). 

Not to mention that in one scene of the movie she confuses Ballister’s love for Ambrosius as him having a nemesis. That’s gotta be a fricking huge sign.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I just watched the Barbie movie. Barbie is just so freaking aroace, and the movie was pretty good, but also just absolutely weird at the same time. She explicitly said she doesn’t love Ken, and shows no interest in romance at all. 

• Like 6

I headcanon Don Quixote as aro-spec, perhaps specifically as cupioromantic, and probably allosexual, just celibate for knight-errantry reasons.

His relation with Dulcinea just shouts forced crush to me. In the first chapter he selects her as his Lady because a love is just what knights-errant ought to have and he thought she was beautiful (hence the probably allosexual).

I headcannon Isabella from Encanto as aroace. She only tries to marry in the movie because it would make the family happy, and pretty much all she wants is her own freedom and not to be forced into outward “perfection” via family pressure. She literally says “I never wanted to marry him! I was doing it for the family!” She also shows no interest afterwards, so I think it’s not unsafe to say.

• Like 3

My Star Wars headcannons:

The Mandalorian (Din Djarin) - AroAce 

Ahsoka Tano- Biromantic Asexual   ... (even though she has the colors of AroAce flag and it would be awesome)

Obi Wan Kenobi- Biromantic Asexual

Mace Windu- Asexual

Rex- AroAce (His sexuality is The Republic)

I have reasons for all of these but I didn't want to type a paragraph haha

Alright, I'm going to chime in on this discussion. After seeing the Barbie movie this afternoon, I can one hundred percent day that Barbie is aroace. (Just as a side note, the movie was amazing.)

I'm not sure about Ken, though. He's definitely romantic, but I'm torn on if he's ace or not. There were some times in the movie where he definitely acted ace, but other times where he acted allo. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zariah said:

Alright, I'm going to chime in on this discussion. After seeing the Barbie movie this afternoon, I can one hundred percent day that Barbie is aroace. (Just as a side note, the movie was amazing.)

I'm not sure about Ken, though. He's definitely romantic, but I'm torn on if he's ace or not. There were some times in the movie where he definitely acted ace, but other times where he acted allo. 

Yeah, Barbie seems very intent on not dating and shows no signs of being allo in any way. She's gotta be one of the most aroace characters I've ever seen, and honestly, I really hope that Mattel confirms it or something. Ken is DEFINITELY allo, but seems to be somewhat ace in a lot of ways. He asks barbie if he can stay at her house and she asks "to do what?" Ken literally says "I honestly have no idea." You have no idea how overjoyed I was to hear him and barbie be the most ace couples known to man!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HelloThere said:

Yeah, Barbie seems very intent on not dating and shows no signs of being allo in any way. She's gotta be one of the most aroace characters I've ever seen, and honestly, I really hope that Mattel confirms it or something. Ken is DEFINITELY allo, but seems to be somewhat ace in a lot of ways. He asks barbie if he can stay at her house and she asks "to do what?" Ken literally says "I honestly have no idea." You have no idea how overjoyed I was to hear him and barbie be the most ace couples known to man!

Yeah, I picked up on that bit as well. The only thing that confused me about Ken was a line in that song he was singing, near the end of the movie. I forgot the exact line, though - which probably isn't super helpful for this discussion. Maybe he's oriented ace, or something? Like graysexual, or maybe demi. Who knows. 

And yes, it was absolutely amazing to have an aroace character play such a prominent role in a movie. I never thought I'd feel so represented by a Barbie. There's a first time for everything, I guess!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zariah said:

Yeah, I picked up on that bit as well. The only thing that confused me about Ken was a line in that song he was singing, near the end of the movie. I forgot the exact line, though - which probably isn't super helpful for this discussion. Maybe he's oriented ace, or something? Like graysexual, or maybe demi. Who knows. 

And yes, it was absolutely amazing to have an aroace character play such a prominent role in a movie. I never thought I'd feel so represented by a Barbie. There's a first time for everything, I guess!

It's always good to see, and I do think that Ken might be demi or something, but overall I'm just glad to see Barbie not need Ken at all in the movie.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 7:53 PM, Collie said:

I'm just here to say I'm watching Bloom Into You, partly because I heard it has aromantic and aro-spec rep, and I feel so SEEN

So looks like there is some debate if the main character is grey-aro or just a very repressed lesbian. I think grey-aro or demiromantic personally, but either way the first episode is very aromantic-coded and just feels like a breath of fresh air. Basically just says "some people just don't want to date anybody and that's alright".

Oh, there is a total aroace character, too! He's introduced in episode 4.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 9:27 AM, CanadianBird said:

Barbie!

(Just got back too haha)

This is about asexuality, not aromanticism, but I believe you would be interested in this video essay:

I definitely headcanon her as aroace, and there are defnitely some amatonormative themes in the Barbie movie.

On 8/8/2023 at 11:45 AM, Zariah said:

I think the times he 'acted' allosexual was more so him just trying to fit into a role, a big part of his arc is his identity being completely tied to relationships and not having anything beyond that, so it makes sense he would try to cling on to anything, including a false sense of allosexuality. I definitely think Ken is ace.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Harvest-Unity said:

This is about asexuality, not aromanticism, but I believe you would be interested in this video essay:

Wait, what? I may be misunderstanding you, but I meant as an aro headcanon, not asexual. I'm aware that just because she doesn't have a love interest in the movie doesn't mean she's aromantic. What she describes is asexuality, but in a less obvious way she also kind of represents aromanticism on-screen (I might be very wrong, it was just my person headcanon). I promise you I'm not purposefully trying to be ignorant and mis-catagorize her! If I did, I apologize 👍

Thanks you for the video by the way, I very much enjoyed the essay :)

16 hours ago, Harvest-Unity said:

I think the times he 'acted' allosexual was more so him just trying to fit into a role, a big part of his arc is his identity being completely tied to relationships and not having anything beyond that, so it makes sense he would try to cling on to anything, including a false sense of allosexuality. I definitely think Ken is ace.

Yeah, that makes sense.