Jump to content

Favorite arospec characters? (canon or headcanoned)


dewy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Title says it all.

Personally I unfortunately don't really know about canonically arospec characters, but I love making headcanons. I headcanon Marie and Agent 3 from Splatoon as arospec because of their very aro color pallette, and because it seems to fit them. Another one is Berdly from Deltarune because to me he seems like he's trying to make himself be into romance, if that makes sense?

Anyways, what are some of your favorite arospec characters and headcanons? I'd love to hear about them!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Princess Merida from "Brave" is one of my go-to's for aro-spec headcanons, and I wanna say Isabela from "Encanto" as well. And I haven't thought about this in specifics, but I've just finished reading the "Tea Dragon Society" series, and I'd picture Rinn and Aedhan as being in a QPR. 

Canonically speaking, Georgia from "Loveless" is an aro character who's self-discovery is the main premise of the book. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I headcanon Diana from Anne with an E as an aro and she is a great character. When she get in her relationship with Jerry, she seems to only like it because of the feeling of freedom it gave her at first, as she knew it was something her parents would forbid. The actress said herself she played it this way. Plus Diana soon felt trapped in the relationship, and they broke up soon because of that.

I also headcanon Jack Frost from the Rise of the Guardians (an animated movie that deserves more attention). Which makes me laugh a lot of people ship him with Elsa from Frozen (despite them not being of the same franchise), and Elsa is also a common headcanon for aro. The thing is, in the movie, the fairy is totally attracted to Jack, but he seems to have no clue what's going on and to see her as a friend.

And I almost forgot : Merlin from... Merlin. The fandom is all about him and Arthur, but that's not canon and as far I'm concerned, he sent 5 seasons without a love interest even of he is the main character. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are not exactly major medias, but they are what I'm very into atm!

Billy Bones from Black Sails is heavily coded as aroace. Most people just say asexual, but I think that's the unfortunate link of asexual = no relationship ever. I headcanon Miranda Barlow as alloaro, personally! She's shown as sexually very free, especially as a woman in the 1700s, and she definitely loves the two men in her life (Spoilers for Black Sails: 

Spoiler

Her husband, Thomas Hamilton, is gay, and she fully knows this. She acts as his beard, and they are incredibly good friends. She gets a new squeeze, James McGraw, and they have a regular affair with Thomas in the know. Eventually James falls for Thomas, and they have a romantic and sexual relationship. I interpret Miranda as someone who happily has sex with friends (or strangers!) but don't really want a romantic relationship.

Then there's the Terror (2018). This is purely a headcanon, but I read Harry Goodsir as aro. Sometimes non-SAM, sometimes alloaro. I fully project my own Complicated Aro Feelings™ on him through my fics, hah. The characters in Terror are fun to play around with sexuality and gender wise, but aro!Harry is one i hold onto.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually have a list in my notes where I keep track of all canonically aro-spec characters I know. That's how it is currently:

- Musa Faris, aromantic asexual, one of the main characters from Buuza!!, by Shazleen Khan (I love him)

- Walker Anderson, aromantic asexual, main character from Wandering, by pearsfears

- Landon Addison, demiromantic pansexual, one of the main characters from This Is Not Fiction, by Nicole Mannino

- Kim Koizumi, aromantic asexual, main character from Chroma Key, by Brandon Dumas

- Georgia Warr, aromantic asexual, main character from Loveless, by Alice Oseman (already mentioned by aroace_auncle)

And I personally headcanon Alma from Charity Case, by Malacandrax, as aromantic. I don't have many arguments, I just sense an aro vibe from them, and honestly, I think they're really cool, and I want to be like them, so I like to read them as aro like me... Also, I mean, Alma is the only (relevant) character in the story who isn't romantically interested in anyone, so I wouldn't be surprised if the author said they're actually aro-spec.

Edited by sol
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Holmbo of Billy Bones? i'd have to look through the series to find the specific scene, but i could easily do that! he unfortunately has no aro-specific scene like the ones in the vid, which is why people tend to say he's just ace, but i could send you the specific episode + timestamp of that. i don't think the clip is easily available online anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Shikamaru Nara. He's a cool neurodivergent and arospec headcanon at once and I find it sad that the author gave him a partner even if the character from beginning wasn't showing any romantic interests in others. Compulsive amatonormativity.

Kawaki – he just seems to be strictly aromantic and repulsed by romance in general. When he heard about one character being in love with him, he wasn't happy about it. He was just like: "romance? Love? Ewww, leave me in peace".

Edited by Jigen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

There's a webtoon called Castle Swimmer that has an aroace character named Neth. I also like Peridot from Steven universe. I have a couple headcanons, like Elsa from Frozen and Kido from Kagerou Daze.

Edited by queer kaleidoscope
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Mikey from Tokyo Revengers! I headcanon him as aro because throughout the manga and anime, he never seems to be prioritized on romance at all. While Takemichi has Hina and Draken has Emma, Mikey never seems to be bothered about finding romance whatsoever. I feel like it would be plausible to headcanon him as aro :))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i headcanon sucrose from genshin impact to be aromantic because of her color palette and her overall attitude and shyness. i think that she's cupioromantic!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lmao I'll literally headcanon all my favourite characters as aro unless... I guess "proven wrong" within the canon media. Actually no, even if proven wrong I will still keep my precious headcanons. No one can stop me I have the power. 

Anyhow as of canon aro characters! So, I'm a huge anime and manga nerd, and am super into My Hero Academia. I was convinced there was no way there would be arospec characters--because, there isn't typically in basically any media--but, as it turns out, one of my favourite characters, Mina Ashido, is canonically cupioromantic! Which is AWESOME omg!! Then there's Saiki from The Disastrous Life Of Saiki K. who is canonically aroace and extremely relatable. 

Oh, and there's Issac from Heartstopper, who is canonically aroace, and that's cool too because I didn't really expect it when I first got into the books!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I headcanon Goku from Dragon Ball as demiromantic. I kinda bounce back and forth over whether I want Izuku Mydoria (Deku) to be aromantic or alloromantic. 

So far as canon stuff goes, Saiki from Saiki K is the only one I can think of. If he's not fully aromantic, he's definitely on the spectrum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

My personal favourite headcanon is Power from Chainsaw Man as an aroace! It's because she doesn't really understand the difference between romantic & platonic love, and she never really understood other people being sexually attracted to eachother either.

I also headcanon Elsa from Frozen as an aroace, and Merida from Brave as an aromantic!

But aside from headcanons, I sadly don't know any canon aromantic characters 💔

Edit: I actually know one. It's Lilith from The Owl House, and she's canonically aroace!

Edited by Keith
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, pulchritudinous_toast said:

Lmao I'll literally headcanon all my favourite characters as aro unless... I guess "proven wrong" within the canon media. Actually no, even if proven wrong I will still keep my precious headcanons. No one can stop me I have the power. 

YASSSSSSSSSSSSS WE ARE IN THE SAME BOAT MY FRIEND

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

saiki k and a bunch of hxh characters whom i hc as arospec. since there are literally no aro representation in mainstream media [aro coded characters usually gets interpreted as allo by the fanbase still] i mostly rely on my hcs 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Keith said:

My personal favourite headcanon is Power from Chainsaw Man as an aroace! It's because she doesn't really understand the difference between romantic & platonic love, and she never really understood other people being sexually attracted to eachother either.

I also headcanon Elsa from Frozen as an aroace, and Merida from Brave as an aromantic!

But aside from headcanons, I sadly don't know any canon aromantic characters 💔

Edit: I actually know one. It's Lilith from The Owl House, and she's canonically aroace!

What makes you think Elsa might be AroAce, and why Merida would be aromantic?
TBH, I think Merida might be loveless, or is AroAce?

What about Moana?

On 12/30/2021 at 11:19 AM, atrocious_ar0mantic said:

Princess Merida from "Brave" is one of my go-to's for aro-spec headcanons, and I wanna say Isabela from "Encanto" as well. And I haven't thought about this in specifics, but I've just finished reading the "Tea Dragon Society" series, and I'd picture Rinn and Aedhan as being in a QPR. 

Canonically speaking, Georgia from "Loveless" is an aro character who's self-discovery is the main premise of the book. 

Interesting bit about Isabela from Encanto. Seems legit, to me.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, nonmerci said:

I headcanon Diana from Anne with an E as an aro and she is a great character. When she get in her relationship with Jerry, she seems to only like it because of the feeling of freedom it gave her at first, as she knew it was something her parents would forbid. The actress said herself she played it this way. Plus Diana soon felt trapped in the relationship, and they broke up soon because of that.

I also headcanon Jack Frost from the Rise of the Guardians (an animated movie that deserves more attention). Which makes me laugh a lot of people ship him with Elsa from Frozen (despite them not being of the same franchise), and Elsa is also a common headcanon for aro. The thing is, in the movie, the fairy is totally attracted to Jack, but he seems to have no clue what's going on and to see her as a friend.

And I almost forgot : Merlin from... Merlin. The fandom is all about him and Arthur, but that's not canon and as far I'm concerned, he sent 5 seasons without a love interest even of he is the main character. 

Oh, yes, Jack!

He's 18 years old, if I recall (biologically, not chronologically), so I am sure he knows what crushes are and would likely have experienced them or fallen in love one or two times by that age, so I suppose he is Aromantic, as otherwise he definitely would have noticed the Tooth Fairy's feelings for him, yes?

Even if he did live in the....which century was he born in? 18th? 

On 12/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, nonmerci said:

I headcanon Diana from Anne with an E as an aro and she is a great character. When she get in her relationship with Jerry, she seems to only like it because of the feeling of freedom it gave her at first, as she knew it was something her parents would forbid. The actress said herself she played it this way. Plus Diana soon felt trapped in the relationship, and they broke up soon because of that.

I also headcanon Jack Frost from the Rise of the Guardians (an animated movie that deserves more attention). Which makes me laugh a lot of people ship him with Elsa from Frozen (despite them not being of the same franchise), and Elsa is also a common headcanon for aro. The thing is, in the movie, the fairy is totally attracted to Jack, but he seems to have no clue what's going on and to see her as a friend.

And I almost forgot : Merlin from... Merlin. The fandom is all about him and Arthur, but that's not canon and as far I'm concerned, he sent 5 seasons without a love interest even of he is the main character. 

Also Rise of the Guardians, and its source material, do deserve more attention!

Edited by Storm_leopardcat
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, so their not really aromantic, but more asexual, but I think that it should be fine if I post them here! :)            

Spencer Reid (from Criminal Minds):    Biromantic Asexual

Newt Scamander (from Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them): (okay, I originally head cannoned him as aroace, but then he got a LOVE INTEREST IM STILL MAD AT THEM FOR THAT) so now I just head canon him as asexual 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Storm_leopardcat said:

What makes you think Elsa might be AroAce, and why Merida would be aromantic?
TBH, I think Merida might be loveless, or is AroAce?

(Warning!! Frozen, Frozen 2 and Brave spoilers! - in case if anyone who'll read this haven't watched it yet)

It has been clearly stated at the beginning of Brave, that Merida has no interest in marriage. And yes, I am aware that not being interested in marriage doesn't always equal not being interested in romantic relationships, but I think that in this case it is pretty clear, that Merida is truly uninterested in this kind of stuff. Although I can't really see her being interested in anyone sexually, so the asexual headcanon fits here as well.

What about Elsa though? Well, to be honest, it is pretty much the same. I mean Elsa getting married has never been mentioned in the movies, so it might not be that visible, but I think that her attitude towards Anna's and Hans relationship proves my point. When Anna announced to Elsa that she's getting married with Hans, Elsa seemed to be really confused. She didn't understand how anyone could fall in love that quickly. (And again, I know that probably anyone would have reacted in a smiliar way, because Hans and Anna knew each other for a day, but I still think that it strengths my argument).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Keith said:

(Warning!! Frozen, Frozen 2 and Brave spoilers! - in case if anyone who'll read this haven't watched it yet)

It has been clearly stated at the beginning of Brave, that Merida has no interest in marriage. And yes, I am aware that not being interested in marriage doesn't always equal not being interested in romantic relationships, but I think that in this case it is pretty clear, that Merida is truly uninterested in this kind of stuff. Although I can't really see her being interested in anyone sexually, so the asexual headcanon fits here as well.

What about Elsa though? Well, to be honest, it is pretty much the same. I mean Elsa getting married has never been mentioned in the movies, so it might not be that visible, but I think that her attitude towards Anna's and Hans relationship proves my point. When Anna announced to Elsa that she's getting married with Hans, Elsa seemed to be really confused. She didn't understand how anyone could fall in love that quickly. (And again, I know that probably anyone would have reacted in a smiliar way, because Hans and Anna knew each other for a day, but I still think that it strengths my argument).

Hmm, yes I can see that bit about Merida being AroAce because she has no interest in marriage. I cannot see her as being attracted to anyone in particular, sexually.

I agree with your points about Elsa as well. I did see someone say that a psychologist thought Elsa might have BPD, though.

https://www.rtor.org/2015/02/12/does-princess-elsa-have-borderline-personality-disorder-disneys-frozen-as-a-parable-of-emotional-dysregulation/

https://www.rtor.org/2016/02/09/does-disney-princess-elsa-have-borderline-personality-disorder-part-ii/#:~:text=In Part I of the,emotional dysregulation she feels inside.
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...