Aromantic Moments

On 5/2/2022 at 2:45 AM, Whirl said:

Apparently using the smiling devil emoji means you're flirting?!

i now feel really old. like emojis have this second language where each one means something and I am slowly turning into a granny who still thinks lol means lots of love.

I sort of get why the idea of a grinning devil might end up having connotations of sex but I am slowly losing how these things work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, roboticanary said:

i now feel really old. like emojis have this second language where each one means something and I am slowly turning into a granny who still thinks lol means lots of love.

I sort of get why the idea of a grinning devil might end up having connotations of sex but I am slowly losing how these things work.

Here's what I learn being a teacher : we get old very quick.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, nonmerci said:

Here's what I learn being a teacher : we get old very quick.

I went back to uni as an "adult". After being around 18 year olds for a while, while I was in my late 20s to early 30s, I can confirm.

13 hours ago, roboticanary said:

Embrace it, be that old granny (or maybe Auntie/Uncle given this is an Aro forum) that thinks lol means lots of love. Or who has no idea who is currently in the charts because you still listen to music made 10/20 years ago. That way you can start being the old wise person the kids start coming to for advice.

• Like 4

I have a friend he is aro and I’m Demi romantic, we have a very cuddly friendship we hug a lot and I sit in his lap sometimes (idk it’s just comfy) and a person asked if we were dating and at the same time we said ‘ew no’ 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Practically my whole life is one big aromantic moment.

Spoiler

I may be demi, but I think I'm more aromantic than asexual. That's something I was hesitant in confessing on AVEN.

• Like 3

I hate being shipped with friends :’)

Everyone thinks that me and my close friend at school, Gavin, are dating. He’s in love with me, and obviously since i’m aro, I don’t reciprocate. Everyone always teases me about our “relationship”, and it makes me want to punch someone. For instance, today: 

For some reason today Gavin’s mom was in the hall cause i think she may have came to help him with his class scheduling for next year, anyway so she’s walking down the hall (and i didn’t know it was his mom), and im walking to the cafeteria and this girl who’s convinced we’re besties is like

her: “BESTIE WAIT STOP”
me: “huh?”
her: “I JUST SAW YOUR MOTHER IN LAW!1!1!”

me genuinely confused: “what??  are we even talking about?????”

her: “i saw gavin’s mom  😏

and i literally muttered “jesus christ why are you like this “ under my breath

i hate people like that….

I was also standing next to this dude I hardly know, and some girl was like “wow, I can see you two being a cute couple haha”

and i’m just like

….no thanks

Edited by Tinkere
  • Like 4
  • Angry 2

I’m always so afraid that someone has a crush on me at work, because i just want close friendships and i’m afraid of hurting their feelings telling them i don’t love them. 

10 hours ago, Tinkere said:

Everyone thinks that me and my close friend at school, Gavin, are dating. He’s in love with me, and obviously since i’m aro, I don’t reciprocate. Everyone always teases me about our “relationship”, and it makes me want to punch someone. For instance, today: 

For some reason today Gavin’s mom was in the hall cause i think she may have came to help him with his class scheduling for next year, anyway so she’s walking down the hall (and i didn’t know it was his mom), and im walking to the cafeteria and this girl who’s convinced we’re besties is like

her: “BESTIE WAIT STOP”
me: “huh?”
her: “I JUST SAW YOUR MOTHER IN LAW!1!1!”

me genuinely confused: “what??  are we even talking about?????”

her: “i saw gavin’s mom  😏

and i literally muttered “jesus christ why are you like this “ under my breath

i hate people like that….

I was also standing next to this dude I hardly know, and some girl was like “wow, I can see you two being a cute couple haha”

and i’m just like

….no thanks

That’s the worst everyone ships me and my friend Matt and he literally wears an aro pin and people are still like ‘omg are you dating’ 

• Like 6

On 5/7/2022 at 5:01 AM, Tinkere said:

I always found it really wierd that people would want to try to matchmake or set other people up. Never understood that people found that enjoyable or that people would actually enjoy being set up for a date.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, roboticanary said:

I always found it really wierd that people would want 5to try to matchmake or set other people up. Never understood that people found that enjoyable or that people would actually enjoy being set up for a date.

Exactly! Once we had a substitute, and we weren’t really very busy. This girl literally dragged me and the dude to the front of the class and tried to “set us up”, and then asked the class if we’d be a cute couple. She basically was prodding me about if i liked him, who/what I liked, etc, it was awful and so embarrassing. The whole week she was going around acting like she “did me a favor” and how I should be grateful… sigh. 

Edited by Tinkere
  • Like 1
  • Angry 5

5 hours ago, Tinkere said:

Exactly! Once we had a substitute, and we weren’t really very busy. This girl literally dragged me and the dude to the front of the class and tried to “set us up”, and then asked the class if we’d be a cute couple. She basically was prodding me about if i liked him, who/what I liked, etc, it was awful and so embarrassing. The whole week she was going around acting like she “did me a favor” and how I should be grateful… sigh. 

Agh,  I hate when that happens, I remember once it was during 5th grade with this one girl from another class with other classmates. Not a substitute. They tried setting up some "Marriage" between me and this girl, and said to come at the park on saturday at like 3 or 4 for it to happen. (Guess I left someone at the alter 😅 ) It was by far the most embarrassing thing in my life, until I got over it like a week later. I'm glad I moved away from that school. Shame most of those old people do track (like me) and I see them often during tournaments.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

6 minutes ago, AviaWilliam said:

Agh,  I hate when that happens, I remember once it was during 5th grade with this one girl from another class with other classmates. Not a substitute. They tried setting up some "Marriage" between me and this girl, and said to come at the park on saturday at like 3 or 4 for it to happen. (Guess I left someone at the alter 😅 ) It was by far the most embarrassing thing in my life, until I got over it like a week later. I'm glad I moved away from that school. Shame most of those old people do track (like me) and I see them often during tournaments.

It really sucks though that people in 9th/10th grade are still acting like this towards me. Like, what are we in third grade or something? Grow up! They most likely feel pity for me as I’m not in a relationship, but I would prefer it to stay that way.

• Like 5

On 5/7/2022 at 3:27 PM, Tinkere said:

Aw, FUCK her!!!

If it were me, I'd do something to ruin the romantic vibe on purpose (e.g., run around the classroom exclaiming that I did NOT want to be involved with romance in any way). That way, the teacher would have no choice but to awkwardly let us go back to our seats. If she kept up the act (yes, that's what it is ... an ACT!)? I'd do more and more stuff, such as potentially getting the principal involved!

"How you like them apples?!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

there was this girl at a club i go to, and we were like playing games and stuff (bc the club is like a hangout club for just doin stuff)

and we were talking about something and suddenly this girl goes "i have a bf and we've been dating for a year now" and in my head im like "wait a sec... isn't she my age? how is she dating? how is anyone dating at my age?"

and for a solid 5 seconds im sitting there pondering how in the actual fuck do people date each other, being a gr9 student and all

i assumed she was my age bc i saw her in a class with a few other gr9s i know

-

to this day, i have still not figured out how and why ppl my age date

it baffles me

istg

i mean, i get making friends (everyone does that) but DATING? like, the shit adults and all 16yr olds in cliche teen romance movies do? for some reason my brain also puts an age where you start dating to like 16 because i assumed that's how everyone does it but NOPE younger ppl date too

• Like 4

When a friend is trying to get you to ask someone out because that person may be interested in you, and you're just like "yeah but I don't care. That's just not something that I want to do".

5 minutes ago, A User said:

i mean, i get making friends (everyone does that) but DATING? like, the shit adults and all 16yr olds in cliche teen romance movies do? for some reason my brain also puts an age where you start dating to like 16 because i assumed that's how everyone does it but NOPE younger ppl date too

I never got it. It seemed like too much commitment just to have what amounts to having a sparkling friend at that age.

• Like 5

Someone in my class likes me and now I'm very scared.

I'm scared he's going to ask me out because he's my friend and it would be awkward and I really really don't want to date anyone

On 6/6/2022 at 1:24 PM, A User said:

Spoiler

My friend has given like 10 handjobs to different people, dated like 25 boys and I am scared when there are rumours of people liking me.

Said friend like a guy - didn't - kinda friendzoned him - he definitely friendzoned her - she got mad and gave someone else a handjob. She told me this and I nearly cried 👍.

• Like 2

i remember 1 time in middle school, i was at a sleepover with my friend group, & i was asked who i had a crush on becauseee sleepover thingz i suppose. at that time i had never had a crush before (i'd pretended or tried to convince myself i did on multiple occasions), but didn't speculate on the possibility of me being arospec (i mean to be fair i was like 13); & i was also BEGGING to be accepted by other ppl at the time, especially this group of friends. so i was like "wait yeah i need to have a crush don't i? that's a thing that other kids do, right? will i look cooler if i have a crush? will they like me more?" so i said yeah, but i wasn't telling who. & my friends IMMEDIATELY jumped to the conclusion that it was this one kid i talked to often, just like, cause we've breathed in the same vicinity? cause we were acquaintances (& maybe could've become friends)? i was confused & frustrated, so in that moment i just picked one of the popular guys in my class who i'd never talked to & told my friends i liked him. they laid off, but then i sorta forgot about it afterward, so whenever someone would bring up my 'crush' on that popular guy, i'd think "wait they think i?- oh yeah, i haven't dropped that ruse yet." i even began convincing myself i had liked him at some point despite the fact that i did not even really know him & had no romantic connection to him whatsoever. the idea did fade relatively quick thankfully. over everything, i just regret being unable to get to know the kid my friends initially asked me about, because even afterward they would still talk about "shipping" he & i, & our interactions got more & more awkward over time. middle school is a strange time idk, sorry for the essay

Edited by bubblelectric_
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, Ithinkimaro said:

I'm scared he's going to ask me out because he's my friend and it would be awkward and I really really don't want to date anyone

If you're comfortable telling him about aromanticism, then do it. If not, you can just tell him that you're happier with your relationship with the way it is now. If he is your friend, then he will appreciate your feelings, and would try to continue your current platonic relationship.

23 hours ago, Ithinkimaro said:
Spoiler

My friend has given like 10 handjobs to different people, dated like 25 boys and I am scared when there are rumours of people liking me.

Said friend like a guy - didn't - kinda friendzoned him - he definitely friendzoned her - she got mad and gave someone else a handjob. She told me this and I nearly cried 👍.

...I think someone needs to be a little bit more hands off. Seriously though, why would you tell someone that? Has someone not heard of tmi? Surely you'd at least make sure that whoever you're talking to is comfortable with hearing this information?

• Like 3

One of my friends just had a breakup with their boyfriend of 5 years......
I'm friends with both of them, so I get to hear it from both perspectives. (They seem to have broke up on good terms.) I'm just like...... wow, this seems like so much heartache to go through, I don't want this ever.

• Like 4

On 6/6/2022 at 2:33 PM, Deltalorian said:

When a friend is trying to get you to ask someone out because that person may be interested in you, and you're just like "yeah but I don't care. That's just not something that I want to do".

You shouldn't feel like you have to date someone simply because they like you. It seems irresponsible and immature of your friend to get you to ask that person out (that is, unless they thought you liked that person, too, or they simply didn't know you weren't interested).

• Like 5

On 6/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, GoodbyeRepublicServices said:

You shouldn't feel like you have to date someone simply because they like you. It seems irresponsible and immature of your friend to get you to ask that person out (that is, unless they thought you liked that person, too, or they simply didn't know you weren't interested).

I had made it pretty clear that I wasn't interested to him. I think in a weird way, he was projecting. He was (and to an extent still is) a hopeless romantic, so he could have been trying to live through me. Either way, he was accepting when I came out as aroace, and this may have played a part in him understanding that it is just a part of who I am.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...