Aromantic Moments

Well the most interesting conversation I had in the past few weeks was about romantic relationships... And how neither me nor my friend have never actually liked the people we were with

• Like 3

When I was a teenager my mom listened to the Oldies station a lot. In those days that meant mostly music from the 50s and early 60s. I noticed almost every song was love-themed. I asked mom why that was. She told me that when she was a kid she asked her father the same thing. His answer was "Because you can't sell a song about a hamburger."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 10/30/2022 at 1:35 AM, The Gray Warlock said:

When I was a teenager my mom listened to the Oldies station a lot. In those days that meant mostly music from the 50s and early 60s. I noticed almost every song was love-themed. I asked mom why that was. She told me that when she was a kid she asked her father the same thing. His answer was "Because you can't sell a song about a hamburger."

A certain musician parodied songs about potatoes and spam though:

Edited by SkyTuneRein
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 9:44 AM, NewHamsterdam said:

In college, my friends and I get stuck with a roommate who essentially allows her boyfriend to move in with us, without ever asking permission. Their relationship is...loud, and he's an inconsiderate slob. This is made even worse by the fact that one of the girls in the room is Muslim, and can't wear comfortable clothing or let her hair down in her own dorm anymore, because it's anybody's guess when the guy will show up.

My friends and I get together to discuss future rooming arrangements, and we're all very glad to find out the roommate won't be joining us next year.

Friend: We'll finally get some peace and quiet in here. And [Muslim friend] can relax.

Me: Yeah, it'll be really nice. And you know, we should make a pact, so nothing like this ever happens again.

Friend: Oh? What kind of pact?

Me: We should all promise not to get boyfriends!

Friend: (looks at me strangely) Um, no. I'm not gonna promise that.

I was so confused; it seemed like the perfect solution to me. It wasn't until several months later that, looking back, I realized she wanted a boyfriend, in spite of all the trouble one might cause.

I cannot recall whether or not I replied to this after I saw this for the first time, but that is a serious matter. Religious freedom exist, and I am guessing this is the USA, so there must be some action you are able to take, and can take?

Can you contact the people who are responsible for roommate arrangements and complain? Have you tried to explain to the roommate why it is wrong for her to do that (which it would be, regardless of whether or not your Muslim friend in staying in that room)? Especially even more of a wrong thing to do because she lives in that room?

On 7/6/2016 at 9:44 AM, NewHamsterdam said:

In college, my friends and I get stuck with a roommate who essentially allows her boyfriend to move in with us, without ever asking permission. Their relationship is...loud, and he's an inconsiderate slob. This is made even worse by the fact that one of the girls in the room is Muslim, and can't wear comfortable clothing or let her hair down in her own dorm anymore, because it's anybody's guess when the guy will show up.

My friends and I get together to discuss future rooming arrangements, and we're all very glad to find out the roommate won't be joining us next year.

Friend: We'll finally get some peace and quiet in here. And [Muslim friend] can relax.

Me: Yeah, it'll be really nice. And you know, we should make a pact, so nothing like this ever happens again.

Friend: Oh? What kind of pact?

Me: We should all promise not to get boyfriends!

Friend: (looks at me strangely) Um, no. I'm not gonna promise that.

I was so confused; it seemed like the perfect solution to me. It wasn't until several months later that, looking back, I realized she wanted a boyfriend, in spite of all the trouble one might cause.

Huh, does your Muslim friend know that you're aromantic?

• 2 weeks later...

Two of my friends recently announced that they're dating. And don't get me wrong - I'm really happy for them! It's just that they've known each other for 2 months, so when they told me that they're dating I was like "how did they fall in love with each other so quickly?". Later I told my other friend about my thoughts on it (she knows that I'm aromantic & asexual + they also told her that they're dating), and she laughed at me and said "you know that love at first sight actually exists, and it's not something made up for stories, right?". And then it hit me, that not everyone needs to be in a super close friendship with somone in order to fall in love with them 😱. Unbelievable, if you ask me.

• Like 5

Being publicly out as a lesbian is hard when I'm mostly aromantic. I'm mainly out for "political reasons", so I can speak on issues affecting "same sex attracted" people in the church. I am a lesbian technically, but I identify with being aromantic so much more most of the time. Bein inbetween categories is hard sometimes.

• Like 9

a friend talked about their work in a group that is doing workshops about queerness in schools. "sometimes students ask about how they know if they are in love." sadly they didn't answer the question, it would have been interesting for me

• Like 2