What is the meaning of life?

Natkat

We been told it straight out what the meaning of life is: "get marriage, start a famely, have children, and a good job etc"

but those who do not want kids, do not want to form romantic-monogamyous relationships even those who prefer to live single

we need to create our own meaning of life.

what is the meaning of life in your opinion.

I don't really have any answers; I've been trying to figure it out myself. Everyone seems to think the goal in life is based around marriage and children. All I've been told is to have a family, get a job to support that family, etc. Everything I've been told is based around marriage and children, and when I realized I didn't really want that, I just kind of thought, "what now? what do I do with my life, if not that?"

(Oh come on, someone had to make that reference in this thread.)

In all seriousness though, at least for me personally, the meaning of life is in some way kind of in line with the whole 42 joke--there's *something* going on with the universe on some deep level, and to my mind one of the most meaningful things a sentient sack of meat like me could do with their bizarre, statistically improbable little existence is contribute in some way, however small, to the body of knowledge of how we got here in the first place, and where we could go in the future. Of course, humanity obviously isn't made up exclusively of scientists, so I acknowledge that this certainly isn't a universally applicable motivation.

I think John Green put it nicely: Other people.

Your job as a person is to help others less fortunate than you whenever you can. Sometimes this is giving to charity; other times it might be volunteering your time or helping a friend. In his 2014 commencement address at the University of Texas, Admiral William H McRaven said that if you want to change the world, all you need to do is help change the lives of 10 people and maths will do the rest.

But, if every one of you changed the lives of just ten people – and each one of those folks changed the lives of another ten people — just ten — then in five generations — 125 years — the class of 2014 will have changed the lives of 800 million people.

800 million people — think of it — over twice the population of the United States. Go one more generation and you can change the entire population of the world — 8 billion people.

10 people may seem like a lot, but if the lifespan of the average human is 71 years, then that's only one person every 7 years. And changing someone's life might be as simple as as an ear to hear their problems. 

The meaning of life would be 42 alternatively 101010 or 222 or 052 or 0x2A.

Of the list only the job bit interests me.

By the rest of that criteria I'm a failure.

Not that I've had much sucess with what I do want relationshipwise.

I've never thought the meaning of life was marriage, kids etc. I've always just wanted to support myself and maybe have pets, or a roommate at most. It depends on finances in future (I have a feeling I don't earn enough though, and I'm really too lazy and unmotivated to try and get a second/better paying job).

To me, the meaning of life is whatever you make of it. No one else can tell you what to do with your life and what's important. You should just do whatever makes you happy without harming other people, and try to spread some goodness along the way.

I dunno. I see meanings hidden in a lot of things, but 'life' is a pretty huge and vague thing to describe, so finding just one particular meaning in it is going to be impossible, I think. It will differ for each person, and will probably change over time as well.

If we're talking about life purpose though, I definitely remember deciding long ago (I think I was around 10?) that I wanted to be a good friend and stand up for outcasts or whoever is being bullied by someone for whatever reason. That is still true... so I guess I'll go with that.

1 hour ago, Tal Shi'ar said:

People are born, they eat, drink, shit, sleep, repeat and then one day die. For the time being, I don't see why this needs a meaning.

Have you heard of Be the Newest Comment? Because over there people are discussing who is the most depressing to be around.

I feel like asking for the meaning of life is like asking for the meaning of a piece of music, or a story. Why does there have to be a meaning? Perhaps if I had to choose I'd say that creating things is the meaning.

I agree with your point though OP that most people seem to view their life's purpose as finding a partner and having kids. I feel like when you don't have that focus your  horizon is bigger. I would like to change the world for the better in some major way and that's what I strive for.

Paraphrasing Richard Dawkins, the question "What is the meaning of life?" Is meaningless. It's like asking 'What is the purpose of a mountain?' It's just there. It just exists. It has no purpose. We're not any more meaningful than a mountain. Or a fish. Or whatever. We just are.

1 hour ago, Dodgypotato said:

We just are.

Agreed. As much as I said that the meaning of life was "other people" above, I believe that life as a concept has no meaning, that that "other people" is merely the purpose I've ascribed to my own life.

Yes, we can give ourselves a purpose. But there is no intrinsic meaning to them. We aren't here for a reason. Only humans, who have evolved to have such intelligence to be self-aware and capable of such deep thinking, are able to give their lives a 'purpose' decided personally for themselves.

(I'm agreeing and adding my additional thoughts, not disagreeing.)

I see doing positive change in others lives as the meaning of life. The unique experiences that we alI have, that is our own life so far, as our mean in doing so. Living life, gathering our unique combination of experiences*, is then our purpose.

If life seems meaningful to you then you are truly alive. When you experience large amounts of odd seemingly serendipitous events in your life, that is a proof you are making sense for the world, there and then. When you can be truly grateful for what you have, that is when life can make sense to you. Serendipity grows where you grow - seek out your passions!

That is how I see it.

*Whether they are predestined or not are beside the point.

Archived