The US Election Results

DannyFenton123

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Canadian, and even I had to rant and rage and holler for a while.  Thank the fates that I'm alone in an empty office building.  I have so little faith in humanity remaining, and things like this continue to carve huge chunks of it away.  I'm very worried for friends in the US who are young, queer, non-white, and/or non-religious... especially if they're female/female-bodied.  How seriously are womens' issues and LGBT issues going to be taken with that creep in charge?

:( I can't believe that actually happened. I don't want to believe it. I don't even live in America and I am really sad about those results. The question I thought about a lot during this whole election was: If Trump can become US president, will Petry or anyone else from the AfD be able to become chancellor or president in Germany? Like if you look at the UK, you see that things like that can't only happen in America and I mean we all know that elections went terribly (I'd use a way stronger word, but I can't think of anything that's bad enough to describe it) wrong in Germany in the past, so I really worry what might happen in the future. I just hope that here people wont be that stupid because they are aware of the past, but you never know.

Apart from that I'm not sure what this will actually mean for us here in Germany. America is as far as I know one of our biggest and closest partners besides the EU and the German government will definitely have troubles with working with Trump, so who knows what that'll mean for us here.

The biggest problems though are facing the people in America especially those who are LGBTQ+, people of colour, female, etc. If any of you are Americans, I hope you will be fine and survive all of this. I can't stand the thought that people who I talked to on Arocalypse on AVEN where many are Americans will now have to go through so much just because some people made a cross at the wrong place on a piece of paper. I can't believe that America that had such a good president like Obama for eight years will now immediately afterwards have a president that is pretty much the worst they could get. If I'd be American I'd probably get ready to move away as soon as possible.

I hope all of you are and will be fine. I'll definitely get some icecream today because I desperately need it :icecream:-_-

I don't think anyone really expected this to happen, since all the polls leading up to the election showed Hillary winning by a few points. But I guess hidden Trump supporters shifted everything.

Now the only thing left to do is sit and watch the world explode .___.

After Cameron's re-election & Brexit I realised that nothing is impossible so I'm scarily void of emotion now that Trump wasn't stumped. I watched Charlie Brooker's 2015 Wipe today and there was terror, migrants, Funny Trump and Jeremy Clarkson and yet I long for that year (or 2018 because every train in South East England will stop sucking) and I can't wait for 2016 Wipe which will have lots of stuff to cover. Anyway my loss of faith in humanity has made me an emotionally void nihilist who isn't as angry as he feels he should be. But is Trump gonna get anything done with the real politicians voting against the shitstorms?

Just, this:

How fucked up must your system be that it allows this to happen?

AAVTRJN.png

He got less than a majority vote and less votes than Hillary. What. The. Actual. Fuck.

11 minutes ago, Zemaddog said:

Just, this:

How fucked up must your system be that it allows this to happen?

AAVTRJN.png

He got less than a majority vote and less votes than Hillary. What. The. Actual. Fuck.

The exact same reason Cameron got elected: votes contribute to points for each division of the country, you just need to win there and the whole place supports one person. This means that geographic location dictates how much your vote matters and a well placed 38% can give you 100% of the power. A ranking system works much better so please colonise some countries Oz.

Welp, my current plan is to move to Norway or the Netherlands or some nice sane country like that with my QPP once we're both out of college, but that still gives both of us two more years stuck here under the rule of the being my mom calls Cheeto Hitler McDumpsterfire. Both of us are trans and AFAB. I, at least, am terrified.

Like @aihpen and @UncommonNonsense, I'm shocked and scared. The US has so much influence in the world that Fake Tan Man might just have a significant negative effect on the lives of others who aren't citizens of the US or direct military conflict with the country. 

I can't help solve this by exercising my rights as a citizen (such as petitions) as I'm not one, but I (and you) can help my fellow marginalised people in other ways. By posting on social media, stand up to hate speech (if it's safe), be there for your friends. If you change the course of just one person's life for the better (or failing that, just make their day brighter for a second), then you've succeeded. 

Below I've put a copy of a reblog I made on Tumblr where the original post was "justice for Muslims"  

Thinking of it, I’ve never met a “bad” Muslim. Everyone I’ve met who practices the faith has been kind and respectful of me and my ideas. Same with every Jew, Sikh, and Hindu. In fact, when I think of “religious horror stories”, I think first of (a small proportion) of Chrisians and atheists. Of course, I can’t speak for everyone, but when I was in school, we had 1 Muslim pupil. When I was being bullied every day, he stood up for me and made me laugh when I felt like crap. His name is Awat. To me, Awat is a hero.

11 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

The exact same reason Cameron got elected: votes contribute to points for each division of the country, you just need to win there and the whole place supports one person. This means that geographic location dictates how much your vote matters and a well placed 38% can give you 100% of the power. A ranking system works much better so please colonise some countries Oz.

Also, gerrymandering..

Tbh it's over now and he did win so we should come together as both sides of the spectrum and just hope that he is a good president (at least his foreign policy is alright) and focus effort to more favourable politicians who also support the same things as you (anti establishment is popular but hopefully less fat cat) and brace ourselves for the future.

14 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Welp, my current plan is to move to Norway or the Netherlands or some nice sane country like that with my QPP once we're both out of college, but that still gives both of us two more years stuck here under the rule of the being my mom calls Cheeto Hitler McDumpsterfire. Both of us are trans and AFAB. I, at least, am terrified.

I'm Norwegian even thought I dont live in Norway atm so feel free to PM me if you need help or any information I may be able to help with.

Just be prepeared that norway isnt really a good country to be trans in since their healthcare system for trans people suck ALOT. its getting slightly better these years but its still bad. how hard or easy it would be for you depends alot on your situation like if you want to medical transition or not etc.

On 9/11/2016 at 11:12 AM, aihpen said:

:( I can't believe that actually happened. I don't want to believe it. I don't even live in America and I am really sad about those results. The question I thought about a lot during this whole election was: If Trump can become US president, will Petry or anyone else from the AfD be able to become chancellor or president in Germany? Like if you look at the UK, you see that things like that can't only happen in America and I mean we all know that elections went terribly (I'd use a way stronger word, but I can't think of anything that's bad enough to describe it) wrong in Germany in the past, so I really worry what might happen in the future. I just hope that here people wont be that stupid because they are aware of the past, but you never know.

Apart from that I'm not sure what this will actually mean for us here in Germany. America is as far as I know one of our biggest and closest partners besides the EU and the German government will definitely have troubles with working with Trump, so who knows what that'll mean for us here.

The biggest problems though are facing the people in America especially those who are LGBTQ+, people of colour, female, etc. If any of you are Americans, I hope you will be fine and survive all of this. I can't stand the thought that people who I talked to on Arocalypse on AVEN where many are Americans will now have to go through so much just because some people made a cross at the wrong place on a piece of paper. I can't believe that America that had such a good president like Obama for eight years will now immediately afterwards have a president that is pretty much the worst they could get. If I'd be American I'd probably get ready to move away as soon as possible.

I hope all of you are and will be fine. I'll definitely get some icecream today because I desperately need it :icecream:-_-

I am not that into German politics but the type of politic trump is running for is the same type of politic that is getting more popular in various european countries amount the right wings.

In Amarica they want a wall in Europa they want border controll, its still based on the same mindset specially for those who want closed borders between the countries. the only difference between a close border and a wall is you cant say "wall" in europa because people still have too many feelings attatched to the berlin wall, its just too recent.  

3 hours ago, Natkat said:

I am not that into German politics but the type of politic trump is running for is the same type of politic that is getting more popular in various european countries amount the right wings.

In Amarica they want a wall in Europa they want border controll, its still based on the same mindset specially for those who want closed borders between the countries. the only difference between a close border and a wall is you cant say "wall" in europa because people still have too many feelings attatched to the berlin wall, its just too recent.  

There are going to be a lot of important elections in Europa next year. Most importantly the ones in France and Germany (we currently have the AfD to worry about aka the "alternative for germany"... which is uncannily similar to Americas new alt-right movement). The outcome of those elections will have mayor consequences on the EU and the landscape of Europe in general (because of Brexit consequences. a thing that's currently put on hold). And then there's your country, Norway, as well as Netherlands and the Chez Republic. While I'm also genuinely worried about the US, I'm also horrified by the implications a Trump presidency might have on a global scale...

Only time will tell

4 hours ago, Euracil said:

Video of protests here in LA

Afterwards they started firing rubber bullets and people went running.
I didn't catch that part on video, but it was mad.

Shit's crazy, yo.

Hide contents

As much as I hate him, Trump won. Can't we just give him a chance at presidency and then get angry? And if this is remembered as a monumental mock-up of the world we'll never do it again.

4 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

As much as I hate him, Trump won. Can't we just give him a chance at presidency and then get angry? And if this is remembered as a monumental mock-up of the world we'll never do it again.

He's already done a lot of things to be angry about, like calling all Mexicans rapists while having a history of sexual assault and bragging about it.

As for not doing stupid things again, the problem is that the people who do those things don't know, distort or simply ignore history.

The electoral college really does seem crazy to me. I pulled up some of the stats from the election for Wyoming, Kentucky, and California (EV means electoral vote):

California: 8,462,547 voters, 55 EVs, 153,864 voters per EV

Kentucky: 1,831,776 voters, 8 EVs, 228,972 voters per EV

Wyoming: 230,197 voters, 3 EVs, 76,732 voters per EV

In other words, my vote as a Kentuckian is worth about one-third that of someone from Wyoming, and about two-thirds that of someone from California. The system is whacked. "Every vote counts" sure but some votes are worth less than others. Does that seem OK?

I'm bothered by the amount of people I see on sites like Facebook telling people to calm down or belittling people who are genuinely afraid, painting them as "overreacting liberal millennials."

7 minutes ago, techno-trashcan said:

I'm bothered by the amount of people I see on sites like Facebook telling people to calm down or belittling people who are genuinely afraid, painting them as "overreacting liberal millennials."

Exactly. And when you stand up to those people, you get slammed.

Not American, thankfully.. but man. It's been a crap week. I can't stand everyone who kept saying him and Clinton were both terrible and there were no differences and "but she's corrupt11!!1" and people who defended anything about him. And people at college who are happy about the result and I'm having to bite my tongue 'cause it's just useless arguing but one of the things I'd be most terrified about is Pence and his LGBT laws, to be honest. Everything else is shitty, but that stuff would make me fear for my life (and I can't speak up about that 'cause I'm closeted)

Oh, yeah, the electoral system is crap. Every vote should be equal.

7 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

As much as I hate him, Donald Trump won. Can't we just give him a chance at presidency and then get angry? And if this is remembered as a monumental mock-up of the world we'll never do it again.

I don't think we need to give him a chance. His entire platform was based on hatred. There's going to be a rise in hate crimes (if it hasn't happened already), just like we saw with Brexit.

His policies are going to get people killed. Every time they get rid of anti-discriminatory laws, every time they restrict abortion, every time they cut funding to health care (especially HIV/AIDS because fucking Pence), every time they put money into conversion therapy, every single time, people are going to fucking die.

Every supreme court justice he could choose (potentially up to 4, which would be devastating) will have power for years, possibly decades after he's left office, who could undue any decent progress the country has ever made.

If When we realise how shit the presidency was, it's not going to stop us from doing it again. We've had hateful, bigoted, ignorant people before. Hell, Reagan left thousands dead as a direct result of his policies, and the country's still recovering from his "trickle down economics", and he's seen as a hero amongst Republicans.

People like Trump, and Pence, are always going to exist. And at some point or another, they're always going to be elected. Nothing will change that.

3 hours ago, EveryZig said:

He's already done a lot of things to be angry about, like calling all Mexicans rapists while having a history of sexual assault and bragging about it.

As for not doing stupid things again, the problem is that the people who do those things don't know, distort or simply ignore history.

I am aware of that and angry about it but he was tapping into what enough people wanted to hear. Of course he'd only say it if he supported it too and I think one problem with polls and predictions is people won't say Trump beforehand to not be labeled as racist or sexist (especially if they vote for him for a completely different reason to his offensive remarks) and then the vote comes and they choose Trump and shock horror! Maybe if there was less of a 'correct free speech' attitude we'd have a better grasp of how things really worked (I don't know how that could happen it honestly sounds impossible).

And @Simowl all your points are valid and I'm scared too, I just let the nihilism take over a bit too much (I'm sorry if I seem cold and unempathetic this is a serious worry I understand). I don't want such a man in power but like the Brexit aftermath, I just want some clarity in the confusion and know if there is any plan for how the uncertain future could play out.

Also what scares me even more is Trump going to jail and Pence becoming president.

3 minutes ago, Kaiger Pufflehugs IV said:

I happened alright. This just crossed my metaphorical desk. :( >:( :facepalm:

OK that chance I was talking about, it's blown. I hate the Trump presidency and it never should have happened and 2016 is the worst year since the 40s (or a long time at least) and this train of bad events seems to pass at full speed.

Archived