The US Election Results

DannyFenton123

11 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

They fine you. Not sure how much it is though. Of course, realistically you just have to show up and get your name crossed off so you don't techinically need to vote. But if you've done all that you might as well vote. And that nonsense about requiring an id to vote in America? None of that. Oh, and election day is always a Saturday, not Tuesday to make it easier for more people to vote on the day. Who decided that Tuesday was a good day for an election. Silly America.

If you're not enrolled, nothing happens. If you're enrolled, then it's absolutely compulsory to vote. Not showing up to vote I think is something like a $20 fine, or there abouts.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it'd already help if the government made voting easier. Germany has no compulsory vote, in fact almost no european country has that. And voter turn up rarely drops below 70%. But votings are on weekends or holidays, voting centers are everywhere, you get reminders by postcard etc. We have voter IDs, but that's because everybody has to have an ID anyway. You automatically have to get one by the time you are 16. It's a separate ID, not a driver's license! I bet the US voter turnout wouldn't be so low, if the system would actually make it easier for people to vote in the first place. 

For example, Austria has voter turnout of over 70% and they voted an independent/green president over a populist today. 

Of course, the voting legislation in the US that makes it more difficult to vote is usually pushed through by the exact people who are benefited by doing so--i.e. the candidates favored by the demographic that doesn't have to schedule around work to get registered or go vote because they're retired and/or extremely wealthy and won't have their citizenship/right to vote questioned based on their ethnicity--but you know, I'm sure that's tooootally a coincidence... -_-

13 hours ago, Kojote said:

For example, Austria has voter turnout of over 70% and they voted an independent/green president over a populist today.

Oh thank goodness. I saw a comic where America and Austria play Russian roulette with a bullet made out of far right voters so that's good to hear.

I agree the voting being on a weekday is crazy. Can't you vote in advance though?

My friend and I were talking about how there should be like voters rewards. People who voted could get a receipt (not who they voted for just that they voted) and stores and restaurants could offer discounts. Or maybe different organizations could organize activities.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. I`ll get onto the thread topic in a moment, but I just want to say right now that I was never a fervent Hillary supporter. I`m pretty sure I didn`t see anyone on AVEN who was. But I would rather have someone who had experience in politics even if I didn`t fully agree with them (and I didn`t) than someone who had absolutely none.

With that out of the way, back on topic. So, Trump (predictably) officially won the Electoral College. I`m not even American and I`m very worried about how Trump will treat the world, and especially America. I think we could all rant on forever about how "President Trump" (insert gagging here) is a worthless, bigoted and ignorant human being. But the only thing all of America (and other countries if Trump really does turn out to be that nationalist) can really do now is support each other.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it's been less than a week since they officially sent in the clowns, and I'm already honestly not sure which of the two possibilities for this administration's motives is more terrifying--either they're all so legitimately ignorant and oblivious as to the existence of logic, common sense, and human decency that they genuinely believe that they're doing the right thing...or they're fully aware of how horrible they're making everything, and they're just too selfish and twisted to care. :( 

11 minutes ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Well, it's been less than a week since they officially sent in the clowns, and I'm already honestly not sure which of the two possibilities for this administration's motives is more terrifying--either they're all so legitimately ignorant and oblivious as to the existence of logic, common sense, and human decency that they genuinely believe that they're doing the right thing...or they're fully aware of how horrible they're making everything, and they're just too selfish and twisted to care. :( 

I do actually believe that some of those people are merely sadistic rather than thinking they're doing anything.

On 12/21/2016 at 10:39 PM, Ace of Amethysts said:

Don't worry guys, I built a wall around Trump. 

http://imgur.com/Afc4GE1

:P

the resemblance is actually terrifying. 

10 hours ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

they're all so legitimately ignorant and oblivious as to the existence of logic, common sense, and human decency that they genuinely believe that they're doing the right thing

I would hope it's this one. At least ignorance can be changed with time and education.

The worst thing with all this is that there really doesn't seem to be any good alternative for how this can turn out. We certainly don't want Trump to succeed but if he fails the US will fail with him and lots of people will suffer.
What would the best case scenario even be?

8 minutes ago, Louis Hypo said:

Why not? To me success is not repealing too many good things and what is failure? Is that failing his plans or failing the country? Is the success his or ours?

What I mean is that we don't want him to succeed in delivering the things that he has promised,

It would be terrible if after four years the 26% who voted for Trump feel like he's done a good job and they're overall satisfied with him. Then they'll vote for him again.

1 minute ago, Holmbo said:

What I mean is that we don't want him to succeed in delivering the things that he has promised,

It would be terrible if after four years the 26% who voted for Trump feel like he's done a good job and they're overall satisfied with him. Then they'll vote for him again.

Oh yes personal success would suck balls.

16 hours ago, Holmbo said:

Let`s just hope he doesn`t get enough votes in 2020 to be re-elected.

Archived