What age do romantics usually first get crushes and celebrity crushes?

I don't get celebrity crushes but I do get crushes on fictional characters. I had my first real one when I was in elementary school, about age 10. Before that I had some favorite characters that I liked a lot, but didn't have fully-fledged crushes on (maybe bc I was too young?)

I've heard alloro people talk about having crushes around the same age (or earlier) which confuses me even though I had adjacent experiences.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mark said:

There's this article which suggests that alloromantics tend to develop attraction between 6 and 9 and allosexuals tend to develop sexual attraction between 10 and 13.

There's another giving an age of 7.

This one  suggests as young as 5 (or less).

wow thats young

• Like 4

I know its less formal than a study but the ages people have said here in the question in anon q&a about when people around us started getting crushes might be of interest.

getting a lot of 9,10,11 ish from that, although perhaps there is a delay between people getting crushes and making it known/us noticing them

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 7:54 PM, roboticanary said:

getting a lot of 9,10,11 ish from that, although perhaps there is a delay between people getting crushes and making it known/us noticing them

Also possible confusion between romantic, sexual and romo-sexual attraction. Since the colloquial usage of "crush" does not distinguish between these attractions. Even though they appear to develop at different ages.
With physical/sensual, emotional, aesthetic and intellectual attractions often being overlooked and/or conflated with romantic.

• Like 5

I asked some classmates of mine (awhile back) when they first got "crushes" and there was a huge range of answers. Some felt their "crushes" around kindergarten, while others felt it around elementary school. Also I definitely agree that there would be conflations of different attractions.

• Like 3

With reservations for that I'm aroace and this is just third people view, but still something I guess. 

My childhood best friend said he had a crush on me when we was like 6-7  I think? I don't know how serious it was (it was not a joke though) or what types of attractions. Not sexual I suppose, but still like something more than platonic? Idk, we was friends.

Another friend had a crush when we was like 10-11. I don't know more exactly there either. Around that time was when they started talking about it. 

• Like 3

5 friends of mine were talking about their first crushes and they all had them when they were in kindergarden or in elementary school (so between 3 and 10) and one of them when he was 12

I wish I would just have been perplexed but the way they talked about it made me feel as if I missed out necessary childhood experiences lol

• Like 1

I had my first celebrity crush when I was eighteen.  This celebrity was a friend of a friend, and someone that I actually had something of a relationship with.  I don't think I would have fallen for him otherwise.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 3:10 PM, Mark said:

There's this article which suggests that alloromantics tend to develop attraction between 6 and 9 and allosexuals tend to develop sexual attraction between 10 and 13.

There's another giving an age of 7.

This one  suggests as young as 5 (or less).

Wow! Really? I never understood what the heck other kids were carrying on about, even when we were all very young. If they were already having those feelings, that explains quite a bit of it.

i think romantic attraction for allos comes quite early during their childhood. because they later talks about their childhood crushes and it would all just be fictional characters and they got to know these characters when theyre like 5

sexual attraction definitely occurs later during puberty? thats what i hypothesize. it makes a whole lotta sense. the body has to mature and prepare for sexual reproduction so even aces can get sexually aroused at times. libido n stuff. not a very enjoyable experiences for my sex repulsed fellas

• Like 2

I got in one of those stupid kindergarten relationships (I actually ended up dating the person for a bit about 5 years after but it didn't work out but we are still best friends) so I'd say pretty young. 

• 2 weeks later...

10 I think? But it depends on the person, because my friend had a big obsession on Louis Tomlinson when she was 8 so.

I had my first real crush when I was 11, but to this day I'm not sure whether it was a romantic crush or not... And for celebrities, well, I'm not sure if I can call it a crush, but when I was 9 I was obsessed with all One Direction members, Elizabeth Gillies, Jenette McCurdy and Miranda Cosgrove. 

Edited by Keith
grammar mistake
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember in 3rd grade this one kid who gave me a note on Valentine's Day asking if I wanted to marry him when we're older and I was so confused bc I was just like, "we're only 8/9 years old, why in the world would you ask me this now??? this is for adults to worry about"

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 4:27 PM, AstrophelDragon said:

I remember in 3rd grade this one kid who gave me a note on Valentine's Day asking if I wanted to marry him when we're older and I was so confused bc I was just like, "we're only 8/9 years old, why in the world would you ask me this now??? this is for adults to worry about"

Yeah tbh it’s weird. Like when I was around 8 I told a friend that I wanted to “marry them and have 8 kids.” XD

Looking back though that was just how I was trying to say “I like being near you as a friend.” 😅

• Haha 1