Jump to content

Do you feel connected to humanity?


Arsenic
 Share

Recommended Posts

I mean, do you feel human? Have you ever thought about it? When you ask yourself a question like that, does your brain answer something like yeah! I am clearly human, of course ? Just curiosity, I guess.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, although sometimes I see myself as very outcast compared to other people. i'm still human

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not always aware of being connected to humanity. It's more of a whenever I think about it or am pressed to be made aware of how different my existence is to most of humanity... that's when I feel the most disconnected to humanity. So right now as I type this thinking about it in a very focused way *shudders* it feels odd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I definitely feel human. I do feel out of place around most people, but just because of how incredibly... different everyone's experiences are, I guess? Like, we're all so individualistic and odd, and many things I think everyone feels may not be universal at all! It's honestly fascinating to think about, if a bit bizarre.

Although, I suppose there are times where I feel less connected to humanity, but typically that's also accompanied by a complete state of absolute nihilism and often happens when I'm having a panic attack, so uhm, when I'm not doing my hottest lol...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I don't feel human at all, more like an alien from another planet. Maybe it's due to me being neurodivergant and being treated like I'm not human when I was younger, but reclaimed it to a more positive idea; I'm not human, and that is okay. 

Edited by Lovebird
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was curious about this topic because I recently discovered the term alter-human/non-human. A part of me thought that actually almost no one feels human at all, but apparently that's not something as usual as I thought. It remembered me of that time when I believed that romantic attraction and sexual attraction where not something real at all, and finding that they are was an...interesting surprise. Same with the topic of being non-human.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arsenic said:

I was curious about this topic because I recently discovered the term alter-human/non-human. A part of me thought that actually almost no one feels human at all, but apparently that's not something as usual as I thought. It remembered me of that time when I believed that romantic attraction and sexual attraction where not something real at all, and finding that they are was an...interesting surprise. Same with the topic of being non-human.

Yeah, I discovered the term alter-human a while back as well, before that I kinda used to say I was 'otherkin' but it still didn't fully fit what I felt, but I was afraid to call myself anything remotely non-human because I didn't want to seem 'crazy' or 'cringe'. I always knew I didn't feel truly human, but it was David Bowie who partially inspired me to embrace my non-human identity, the media always called him an 'alien' due to his eccentric looks & personality, and while I don't think he ever stated he never felt like a person, I think he certainly showed it more than he told it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lovebird said:

Yeah, I discovered the term alter-human a while back as well, before that I kinda used to say I was 'otherkin' but it still didn't fully fit what I felt, but I was afraid to call myself anything remotely non-human because I didn't want to seem 'crazy' or 'cringe'. 

That's the point. I am proud of who I am, and I use the term otherkin to describe that part of myself, but I don't talk about it with people outside the non human community because they would think it's cringe or that I am crazy or that I am an "special snowflake". Something like that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2022 at 4:34 PM, Arsenic said:

I mean, do you feel human? Have you ever thought about it? When you ask yourself a question like that, does your brain answer something like yeah! I am clearly human, of course ? Just curiosity, I guess.

Oh yes, I 100%, overwhelmingly feel human. Humans, humans, I feel connected to all humans.

Because I hate xenos with the passion of a thousand suns.

Admittedly, I never met an alien. But I don’t have to!

The people who know have taught me who those xenos are and what they’re up to!

I always play humans in Stellaris.

Egalitarian, fanatically xenophobic democracy. Of course…

My dream is to become an ultra-liberal, progressive space Hitler.

Suffer Not the Alien!

This is not contradictory at all. Why should it be? Just think about it: it’s called HUMAN rights for a reason!

Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DeltaV said:

My dream is to become an ultra-liberal, progressive space Hitler.

Suffer Not the Alien!

This is not contradictory at all. Why should it be? Just think about it: it’s called HUMAN rights for a reason!

Burn the Heretic unbeliever.

Interestingly thats the achievement I'm currently working on getting, only because I insist on purging an entire galaxy of Xenos, in such a way that benefits humanity. Their bodies can be used to build our ships, and some of them are quite tasty.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh dang, I didn't realize there were other alterhuman & nonhuman people here! I'm otherkin, and partially identify as human.

Whether or not I feel connected to humanity is a complicated question... I don't mind living as a human, I feel a sense of kinship with humans, I get along with others, etc. I don't particularly enjoy being seen as 100% human but it also isn't a huge pain.

However, due to multiple things (my aromanticism, my neurodivergence, me being non/alterhuman, etc) I'm left feeling quite separated from others, including groups that I belong to. I think I actually feel the least separated from other arospec people and other non/alterhumans. I guess I feel connected to humanity as a whole, on a basal level, but that connection falters once you "zoom in" and begin comparing me to my peers.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Apex said:

Oh dang, I didn't realize there were other alterhuman & nonhuman people here! I'm otherkin, and partially identify as human.

Maybe there are more of us in this community than we think. I started this thread because I found about my non human identity in AVEN and I thought hei, if you talk about this in Arocalypse maybe you will help others to find themselves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2022 at 11:08 AM, Sili said:

Interestingly thats the achievement I'm currently working on getting, only because I insist on purging an entire galaxy of Xenos, in such a way that benefits humanity. Their bodies can be used to build our ships, and some of them are quite tasty.

Well, I won't really get this achievement. Some aliens are just too cute:

Mammalian_slender_03.png

On 5/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, Arsenic said:

I was curious about this topic because I recently discovered the term alter-human/non-human. A part of me thought that actually almost no one feels human at all, but apparently that's not something as usual as I thought. It remembered me of that time when I believed that romantic attraction and sexual attraction where not something real at all, and finding that they are was an...interesting surprise. Same with the topic of being non-human.

Attraction is easier to understand than identity. For attraction we have an emotional state that motivates a certain behavior (allosexuals tend to have sex for sex' sake).

"Feeling human" seems like gender identity to me... a vague emotion that we cannot get a grasp on, because it does not connect to a specific behavior...

There was a serious aspect of my last nonsense post. Shouldn't feeling connected to humans at least mean: having more instinctual, reflexive aversion to harm humans (compared to other species)? But I wonder if most humans even feel that!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think for me there is a certain amount of disconnectedness - I definitely vibe with voidpunk - but I feel that this has a lot to do with how the humans around me would treat me rather than something inherent in myself. Gods & monsters are human creations, they made me what I am 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...