Do you feel connected to humanity?

Arsenic

I mean, do you feel human? Have you ever thought about it? When you ask yourself a question like that, does your brain answer something like yeah! I am clearly human, of course ? Just curiosity, I guess.

• Like 3

I'm not always aware of being connected to humanity. It's more of a whenever I think about it or am pressed to be made aware of how different my existence is to most of humanity... that's when I feel the most disconnected to humanity. So right now as I type this thinking about it in a very focused way *shudders* it feels odd. 

• Like 1

I don't feel human at all, more like an alien from another planet. Maybe it's due to me being neurodivergant and being treated like I'm not human when I was younger, but reclaimed it to a more positive idea; I'm not human, and that is okay. 

Edited by Lovebird
  • Like 1

I was curious about this topic because I recently discovered the term alter-human/non-human. A part of me thought that actually almost no one feels human at all, but apparently that's not something as usual as I thought. It remembered me of that time when I believed that romantic attraction and sexual attraction where not something real at all, and finding that they are was an...interesting surprise. Same with the topic of being non-human.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arsenic said:

I was curious about this topic because I recently discovered the term alter-human/non-human. A part of me thought that actually almost no one feels human at all, but apparently that's not something as usual as I thought. It remembered me of that time when I believed that romantic attraction and sexual attraction where not something real at all, and finding that they are was an...interesting surprise. Same with the topic of being non-human.

Yeah, I discovered the term alter-human a while back as well, before that I kinda used to say I was 'otherkin' but it still didn't fully fit what I felt, but I was afraid to call myself anything remotely non-human because I didn't want to seem 'crazy' or 'cringe'. I always knew I didn't feel truly human, but it was David Bowie who partially inspired me to embrace my non-human identity, the media always called him an 'alien' due to his eccentric looks & personality, and while I don't think he ever stated he never felt like a person, I think he certainly showed it more than he told it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lovebird said:

Yeah, I discovered the term alter-human a while back as well, before that I kinda used to say I was 'otherkin' but it still didn't fully fit what I felt, but I was afraid to call myself anything remotely non-human because I didn't want to seem 'crazy' or 'cringe'. 

That's the point. I am proud of who I am, and I use the term otherkin to describe that part of myself, but I don't talk about it with people outside the non human community because they would think it's cringe or that I am crazy or that I am an "special snowflake". Something like that.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 4:34 PM, Arsenic said:

I mean, do you feel human? Have you ever thought about it? When you ask yourself a question like that, does your brain answer something like yeah! I am clearly human, of course ? Just curiosity, I guess.

Oh yes, I 100%, overwhelmingly feel human. Humans, humans, I feel connected to all humans.

Because I hate xenos with the passion of a thousand suns.

Admittedly, I never met an alien. But I don’t have to!

The people who know have taught me who those xenos are and what they’re up to!

I always play humans in Stellaris.

Egalitarian, fanatically xenophobic democracy. Of course…

My dream is to become an ultra-liberal, progressive space Hitler.

Suffer Not the Alien!

This is not contradictory at all. Why should it be? Just think about it: it’s called HUMAN rights for a reason!

Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DeltaV said:

My dream is to become an ultra-liberal, progressive space Hitler.

Suffer Not the Alien!

This is not contradictory at all. Why should it be? Just think about it: it’s called HUMAN rights for a reason!

Burn the Heretic unbeliever.

Interestingly thats the achievement I'm currently working on getting, only because I insist on purging an entire galaxy of Xenos, in such a way that benefits humanity. Their bodies can be used to build our ships, and some of them are quite tasty.

• Haha 2

Oh dang, I didn't realize there were other alterhuman & nonhuman people here! I'm otherkin, and partially identify as human.

Whether or not I feel connected to humanity is a complicated question... I don't mind living as a human, I feel a sense of kinship with humans, I get along with others, etc. I don't particularly enjoy being seen as 100% human but it also isn't a huge pain.

However, due to multiple things (my aromanticism, my neurodivergence, me being non/alterhuman, etc) I'm left feeling quite separated from others, including groups that I belong to. I think I actually feel the least separated from other arospec people and other non/alterhumans. I guess I feel connected to humanity as a whole, on a basal level, but that connection falters once you "zoom in" and begin comparing me to my peers.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Apex said:

Oh dang, I didn't realize there were other alterhuman & nonhuman people here! I'm otherkin, and partially identify as human.

Maybe there are more of us in this community than we think. I started this thread because I found about my non human identity in AVEN and I thought hei, if you talk about this in Arocalypse maybe you will help others to find themselves.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 11:08 AM, Sili said:

Interestingly thats the achievement I'm currently working on getting, only because I insist on purging an entire galaxy of Xenos, in such a way that benefits humanity. Their bodies can be used to build our ships, and some of them are quite tasty.

Well, I won't really get this achievement. Some aliens are just too cute:

Mammalian_slender_03.png

On 5/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, Arsenic said:

Attraction is easier to understand than identity. For attraction we have an emotional state that motivates a certain behavior (allosexuals tend to have sex for sex' sake).

"Feeling human" seems like gender identity to me... a vague emotion that we cannot get a grasp on, because it does not connect to a specific behavior...

There was a serious aspect of my last nonsense post. Shouldn't feeling connected to humans at least mean: having more instinctual, reflexive aversion to harm humans (compared to other species)? But I wonder if most humans even feel that!

• Like 4

I think for me there is a certain amount of disconnectedness - I definitely vibe with voidpunk - but I feel that this has a lot to do with how the humans around me would treat me rather than something inherent in myself. Gods & monsters are human creations, they made me what I am 😎

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/14/2022 at 12:39 AM, DeltaAro said:

Well, I won't really get this achievement. Some aliens are just too cute:

Mammalian_slender_03.png

Attraction is easier to understand than identity. For attraction we have an emotional state that motivates a certain behavior (allosexuals tend to have sex for sex' sake).

"Feeling human" seems like gender identity to me... a vague emotion that we cannot get a grasp on, because it does not connect to a specific behavior...

There was a serious aspect of my last nonsense post. Shouldn't feeling connected to humans at least mean: having more instinctual, reflexive aversion to harm humans (compared to other species)? But I wonder if most humans even feel that!

FENNEC FOX!

NGL, that's why I became so interested after I saw the different species of aliens when my brother first played Stellaris.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:34 AM, Arsenic said:

humanity is subjective

• Like 1