Awkward Parent Moments

lollipop

What are your awkward parent moments and stories? Mine the fact that I can't come out to my parents because they don't believe in the aro/ace community. They support gay rights and all, but they don't understand the fact that a person can not feel attraction in someway. They wouldn't believe me when I told them my friend was ace. I'm so happy I finally found this website, I'm the only aro in my school and in my family. So nice to know I'm not a freak.

I've had my dad earnestly tell me in private not to be afraid to date girls, and that he'll love me whoever I'm attracted to, etc. Which was great of him, don't get me wrong! But at the time I felt so awkward, since attraction for me is just... not there, and I just wanted the conversation to end and me to be able to go back to never having to think about dating ever again.

This is an intersectional story, but my dad keeps telling me that he feels like it's such a tragedy that I'm trans, because I'll die alone. I keep telling him I'm not interested in being with anyone and he just says "you'll never know." 

*At the dinner table*

Dad: *Something about boyfriends*

Me: Eh, not really interested in that right now (not out)

Dad: Well, we'll be waiting when you do get a boyfriend.

Dad's girlfriend: Or a girlfriend! You know, I don't have any gay relatives. You should be gay!

Dad: ...

Sister: ...

Me: ...

Dad's girlfriend: YOU SHOULD BE GAY!!

Me: *backs away slowly*

3 minutes ago, DannyFenton123 said:

YOU SHOULD BE GAY!!

That must have been the most awkward thing ever. Jeez.

I don't really have that many moments cause this isn't something that comes up that much in my family. It was awkward when my mum kept insisting that I learn how to dance because "girls like a guy who can dance". I said "I don't care" a lot when she brought this up.

1 minute ago, Zemaddog said:

That must have been the most awkward thing ever. Jeez.

I don't really have that many moments cause this isn't something that comes up that much in my family. It was awkward when my mum kept insisting that I learn how to dance because "girls like a guy who can dance". I said "I don't care" a lot when she brought this up.

Yeah, text doesn't even capture the drunkenly emphatic look on her face when she said that. My family is an interesting lot xD

I forget what we had been talking about (I think it was something about my relatives not paying attention to me), but my mom once said something along the lines of "you think it's bad now, just wait until you're older. People won't pay attention to you unless you look a certain way." And then she was surprised when I got offended and stormed away.

As if I care at all what people have to say about how I look. I'm not here to attract the gaze of straight men. Give me a break.

I got into a huge fight with my mom before I left for college, she gave me the silent treatment for weeks and I only found out why because she complained about it to my brother. I'd had a boy around a few times, and had invited him to a family event. My mom had assumed there was a romantic interest there which was not. He hadn't been around in a while since we were both getting ready to leave for college and we didn't see each other regularly at school anymore, and she asked me where my boyfriend was. I asked who she was talking about, and when she specified I laughed and explained to her that we weren't dating. For some reason she got mad (still not sure exactly why). For two years she believed I wasn't dating simply to spite her.

To to be fair I'm not out as aro to either of my parents. When I came out as bi my dad said I was "confused," so I'm really hesitant to bring up being aro, as I know he won't believe they exist, and my mom will probably just be really sad because she places so much importance on romantic love and relationships.

My parents don't seem to care about my orientation either way, which is fine with me. I've explained it to them of course, but they're probably still thinking I'll 'find someone' one day. They don't bring it up and neither do I. Suits me just fine that way. It's a little more awkward for me as far as my coworkers are concerned. I finally got the dreaded 'why don't you date?' question a few days ago, and then the inevitable, 'maybe you haven't found the right person' speech. The part that frustrates me the most is that I don't really have any other way to explain it to them any better than I already do. Eventually I'm reduced to groaning and flailing my arms when they don't understand what I'm telling them. I wish I could let them into my head for just a few seconds, so they would understand my mindset. I suppose it doesn't matter though. I'm happy with who I am. Others don't have to be.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hey you in the corner said:

My mom dragging me to her computer to show me pictures of basically nude soccer players and telling me how sexy they are. She then goes on, jokingly, that she wants me to marry one of them so she can get free tickets to games. 

Wow, that's.... totally normal parent behaviour... O.o

19 hours ago, Spud said:

My mom: When you have kids...

Me: I don't want kids.

My mom: Yes, you will change your mind.

Me: ...no...

I don't really have much to contribute to this thread because my parents (or mum, at least) are pretty OK with me not having a partner or anything, but I really hate it when people say this. Some people do change their minds, of course, but it's not a given. Anyway, way back when I first started work in a nursing home, one of the residents told me that one of her grandchildren had said she didn't want kids either and ended up having rather a lot... I'm not sure if they say it to try and scare me into thinking it's gonna happen anyway or what!

My mum does occasionally drop hints that she'd like to see me settle down with someone, but I haven't told her how I've really felt in most of my relationships. All I've really said is I don't want to get married, I'd prefer to live on my own in a small house and have pets - cats and/or dogs - if I can. Sometimes she'll say 'You never know' which of course, I don't, but it's still annoying to hear it.

16 hours ago, Untamed Heart said:

'You never know' which of course, I don't, but it's still annoying to hear it.

I hate that sentence. No, we don't know, but I don't understand why people don't accept that this is how we feel at the moment. It just annoys me that they are so certain that they are  going to be right :/ 

Same thing with my mum, I came out to her as asexual recently and she was totally okay with it and seemed to be very understanding, but she told me that she still thinks I "haven't met the right one yet"...another sentence I can't hear anymore :'D

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I had a very open conversation with my mother when I was a young-ish teenager, maybe I was 15?, and my mother awkwardly brought up that she would be okay with me 'inviting over boys' I basically replied 'pfft, don't you want to know how many of my friends smoke??!!!11!!?!!' 

I think that was an awkward moment for my mum while I was just focused on other stuff and oblivious to it. 

• 1 month later...

when my mom didn't like something i did, she'd tell me boys didn't like it or it wouldn't work in a relationship.  when i came out that went out the window.  although she gave me a speech along the lines of "i wasn't worried about dating when i was your age either" (17), so i'm not totally sure she believed me.  but it's now been two years and a few conversations and she and my dad just leave it alone.

Archived