is it weird to....

Seems normal to me. I actually had this feeling with @Dodgypotato but we've gotten a bit more distant recently and when that started happening I was really sad. This feeling is gone now. We're still friends, although we don't spend as much time together as I would like.

Totally normal. The way I feel about friends I really love often presents as romantic, but I definitely don't consider it so. I want to spend time with them, think about them often, get giggly when thinking about them, etc. But in a strictly platonic way. A romantic person  might fantasize about being physically intimate with a crush, I fantasize being emotionally and intellectually intimate with the people I like/love. Romance is kind of a subjective thing. Platonic love can be just as strong as romantic love, so don't be afraid to adore your friend and spend time with them. 

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM, cute kitty Meow! Mewo! said:

I just wish these friends lived near me, and I could, for once in my life, spend a weekend not feeling alone. 

I can definitely relate--over the summer, all three of the people I get this with were all at least 500 miles away, each in a different direction >.<

Yes, I feel that way about friends sometimes! It confused me too, but I figured out that even though I wanted to spend a lot of time with them, I still just wanted to be their friend, nothing romantic. 

I wouldn't say it's necessarily free time that makes me care about my friend deeply, but more that she was willing to make space for me in our interactions? And that she and I share the same guiding beliefs about life? I don't know what it was exactly; we're both baffled as to how two markedly different people could be such close friends. Part of how we settled into this is that we would joke about how uncomfortable being romantic together would be, and it assured the both of us that we didn't see each other that way. We probably wouldn't be such close friends if we had romantic feelings for each other, and we saw each other almost every day unless life/planned hang-outs with other people got in the way.

I think it's just about being committed to and invested in a relationship, romantic or not, exclusive or no. If you adore your friend(s), I think that's beautiful.

It would actually be kind of weird to say you could care less about your friend. Everyone has their different views on friendship, but I think in each concept there's at least a sense of attachment to that other person, though YMMV with different people.

1 hour ago, Tumblrweed said:

Part of how we settled into this is that we would joke about how uncomfortable being romantic together would be, and it assured the both of us that we didn't see each other that way.

Im really close with one of my friends and there was a time where another friend thought we were dating, and we both thought it was the comedy event of the year. It made me really comfortable with her because we solidified the fact that it would never happen.

On 9/29/2016 at 6:42 AM, cute kitty Meow! Mewo! said:

is it weird to have a friend who you want to spend all your time with? that's not just a  romantic impulse right, that's just humans having too much free time and adoring your friend to death, and it happens sometimes for some people? 

Along the lines of this, does this happen with people that you might just have started to be friends with? for example squishing on someone for a while and then finally aproaching them, and then hanging out with them quite a bit once becoming friends

On 10/8/2016 at 11:23 AM, meesemouse said:

Along the lines of this, does this happen with people that you might just have started to be friends with? for example squishing on someone for a while and then finally aproaching them, and then hanging out with them quite a bit once becoming friends

yeah that's exactly how it happens usually.well, it also happens that a peer in some way or other happens by chance or mutual interests be around several times, and then in being around each other often after several weeks of being just peers we find we've become friends instead and just hang out a ton on our own volition. 

51 minutes ago, cute kitty Meow! Mewo! said: we find we've become friends instead and just hang out a ton on our own volition. 

Yeah that's what's happened recently with a new friend I've made, we just really hit it off and like we're becoming like pretty close just because we have so much in common, and like I'm afraid some people think we are dating but we just really enjoy each other's company like in a completely platonic way

• 2 months later...

I had that feeling with my best friend, when we were first becoming friends. Like Zemadogg, we went through that 'getting a bit distant but staying friends' phase and we're still cool. It's completely normal when you meet someone and you're really compatible with them and you both want the friendship to work out enough.

Archived