How tall are you?

Zema

How tall are you?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So this is something that came up earlier today in the discord server. Most of the people on the discord server are around 5'4" which I consider to be small. Although, I also appear to be the tallest one there at a height of 5'11" >.> Anyway, I wanted to see how tall people are over here. Please don't let me be the tallest. I'm not even that tall. Since height is a continuous variable, note that each interval does not include the highest value stated. Basically, if you're 5'10", select the interval for 5'10" - 6' and not 5'8" - 5'10". If you're at all familiar with interval notation each interval is [a,b).

(Numbers in centimetres have been rounded)

2 hours ago, Louis Hypo said:

I'm 1.8m whoops is that too sciencey for you too bad. Also is a pound half or double a kilogram? Also UK, Malaysia, India, Japan, Australia drive on the correct side of the road and type G plugs are the safest. Obama out.

(5'10")

I study physics at uni so... no that really isn't too sciency for me xD. A pound is ~0.45kg from memory, although I know that the definition of the kilogram is used to define the pound. The last points are indeed correct.

Funnily enough, where I live, we use feet and inches for people's heights and yet we use the metric system for almost all other measurements. The only other non-metric units we use beside what I've already mentioned are the units for time. Trust me when I say the imperial units for time are better than the metric units.

Also, I'm still the tallest! Gah!

12 hours ago, Zemaddog said:

Funnily enough, where I live, we use feet and inches for people's heights and yet we use the metric system for almost all other measurements. The only other non-metric units we use beside what I've already mentioned are the units for time. Trust me when I say the imperial units for time are better than the metric units.

Actually that's what happens here to not to my liking. Also the 1.8 is to 2sf and I'm actually 15mm below that. But what do you have against gradians and 10 hour days?

P.S. notice how easy it is to process what 1.8m-15mm means as opposed to remembering when to multiply/divide by 3,4,12,16 and 63

51 minutes ago, Louis Hypo said:

Actually that's what happens here to not to my liking. Also the 1.8 is to 2sf and I'm actually 15mm below that. But what do you have against gradians and 10 hour days?

I actually don't have anything against gradians. I think they are better that degrees. I mean, who decided that a right angle should be 90°? However, radians beats both of them as they are mathematically superior by design. 10 hour days just seem silly. And besides, the S.I unit for time is seconds which is an imperial unit. Fahrenheit is more useful for everyday life as the scale from 0 - 100°F is completely surviveable by a human being and temperatures don't goe outside of this range naturally on earth that often. I don't like the celcius scale because kelvin just beats it outright in usefulness. I also just seem to like use feet and inches for measuring people's heights. This is mainly just personal preference.

59 minutes ago, Louis Hypo said:

P.S. notice how easy it is to process what 1.8m-15mm means as opposed to remembering when to multiply/divide by 3,4,12,16 and 63

I grew up with the metric system. I study physics at university. You don't have to tell me why the metric system is better for units of length. I already know why they are better. The whole point of S.I units is to have a fixed standard of units which are simple and easy to use. They wouldn't be the standard if they weren't good.

Anyway, enough discussion about which system of units is better. We're here to find out how tall people are, regardless of whether they prefer to use imperial or metric units for measuring it.

My license says 5'3", but the doctors consistently say 5'2.5"

I hear that HRT can give you 0.5"-1" even after your growth plates close because hormones affect the curvature of the spine, but I'd need a lot more than that to be anything other than super short for a guy. Honestly, while I kinda wish I was taller, I made peace with my height long ago, and I'm weirdly okay with short jokes. I usually claim that I'm "travel size" anyways since I'm kinda scrawny too. The professor I work for isn't too tall himself, so he just says that anyone his height or shorter is "of normal height" while anyone above than that is "freakishly tall," so I sometimes joke about that myself.

(I was admittedly a little heartbroken at 14 when the doctors told me that my growth plates were closed. I don't know why I expected to have more growth spurts, but I wouldn't even let my mom hem my pant legs because I wanted to keep wearing them when I would get taller. Once I had scientific proof that I was done, all I could do was hope for secondary growth, but I knew that wouldn't do much. My brother is over 6' somehow, so I guess he got to hog all the height genes.) 

On 30/09/2016 at 1:16 AM, Zemaddog said:

I study physics at uni so... no that really isn't too sciency for me xD. A pound is ~0.45kg from memory, although I know that the definition of the kilogram is used to define the pound. The last points are indeed correct.

The actual definition is 0.45359237kg so 0.45kg is correct to two decimal places. Most commonly 454g tends to be used.

On 30/09/2016 at 1:16 AM, Zemaddog said:

Funnily enough, where I live, we use feet and inches for people's heights and yet we use the metric system for almost all other measurements.

Since the 1940's the inch has been defined as 25.4mm, thus the foot is 304.8mm

So initially I thought I was 5'4" (I despise the American measurement system but ANYWAY) but recently I used a free height and weight machine at a shopping centre and it said I was 163cm with shoes on. So now I'm pretty sure I'm 5'3" :(

I'm a bit bitter about my height because I've been the same height since I was 12. So naturally, I was always a skyscraper as a kid, then in high school I watched everyone grow past me. Now my friends always tease me about being short and I'm always reminding them of when I was taller than them.

I never thought I was short though, I was convinced that I'm average height (for a cis woman) and this poll would indicate that.

But I've learnt to enjoy being "short". Things like couches, beds and baths are 100% more enjoyable when you actually fit ?

I'm 5'4".  Short and round.  My Mum is 5'7".  Her sister (the former model) is 5'8".  My maternal grandmother was 5'8".  On Dad's side, the women range from about 5'6" to 5'9". 

Obviously someone jumped the fence.. lol.  Or there was a particularly short but cute mailman working in my old neighbourhood :D.  j/k  I just wish I'd inherited the tall genes instead of the short ones. 

• 3 months later...

Archived