Random things that interest you

roboticanary

I'm just looking to learn some new things, what wierd and wonderful things are you interested in or learning about at the moment.

I've got a couple, although quick content warning, this does involve a bit of sex especially if you look it up.

As for me, I have stumbled upon the topic of sexually active popes.

The short is that 1. popes get accused of a lot of stuff (sometimes rightly), and 2. for a long time it was sort of ok to be sexually active before becoming pope, even married. 

I love how much obvious cynical power grabbing goes on throughout the history of the papacy. I have no idea how it would work but i genuinely wish someone would make a movie about the life of Pope Benedict IX, because the guy was just mental. maybe sometimes his life was exaggerated by his enemies but still, even the stuff we know like flat out selling the papacy seems amazing.

I mean in general, my education was at a catholic secondary school so I got the, I suppose, cleansed history of the church, I had to learn about the theology of a couple of the schisms and vaguely new that, for example, a lot of martin luther's complaining was about the morals of the church, but unsurprisingly the absolute chaos of what was going on was not really talked about.

The other thing I have been reading about, and have been looking into for a while is the time a group of firefighters decided, as a publicity stunt, to build a lady nessie and try to lure out the loch ness monster using sex appeal.

• Like 7

I love listening to the podcast ‘No such thing as a fish’ because you learn weird and interesting facts every week (and it is very funny)

Weird animal facts are my favourite; I recently learned that there is a baby bird in the Amazon that pretends to be a toxic moth caterpillar to avoid being eaten:

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

I've recently been having a look at this funny thing in US law called in rem jurisdiction. which just throws out some of the silliest sounding names i have heard.

because in the US cases are described as a v b (i'm used to a and b) it always sounded like a fight to me, and in rem makes that really stupid because the case is bought against the item, rather than the presumed owner.

so you end up with things like

South Dakota v. Fifteen Impounded Cats

United States v. 11 1/4 Dozen Packages of Articles Labeled in Part Mrs. Moffat's Shoo-Fly Powders for Drunkenness,

or 

United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls

or my new favourite 

Quantity of Books v. Kansas

which the books won. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, roboticanary said:

I've recently been having a look at this funny thing in US law called in rem jurisdiction. which just throws out some of the silliest sounding names i have heard.

because in the US cases are described as a v b (i'm used to a and b) it always sounded like a fight to me, and in rem makes that really stupid because the case is bought against the item, rather than the presumed owner.

United States v. 11 1/4 Dozen Packages of Articles Labeled in Part Mrs. Moffat's Shoo-Fly Powders for Drunkenness,

or 

United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls

or my new favourite 

which the books won. 

these titles are funny and the fact that a big old court named them like this makes it even funnier

in other news, have you heard of lularoe?

it has an epic af documentary called lularich which goes into amazing fucking details with interviews from ex employees and stuff

im super into MLMs n stuff

i also like watching illuminaughti and scam channels like jim browning

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2022 at 3:12 PM, roboticanary said:

or 

or my new favourite 

which the books won. 

But do these sound any less hilarious with "and"?

South Dakota and Fifteen Impounded Cats
United States and 11 1/4 Dozen Packages of Articles Labeled in Part Mrs. Moffat's Shoo-Fly Powders for Drunkenness

United States and Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls

And as for random things that interest me... I was interested in learning Middle English for a while, and while I'm no longer genuinely trying to learn it, it's still a fascinating language to me

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Eastern philosophy of nothingness.

In Western philosophy nothingness is very neglected. It seems the 'argument' that goes like "there's nothing to say about nothingness" was too convincing. 🙃

1 hour ago, The Gray Warlock said:

The history of bodybuilding. I find Bronze Era the most interesting.

They look the most believable and healthiest. 😉

• Like 2

Well, I learned today that some engineering physics degrees are accredited in North America, at least the ones that have a certain number of engineering classes in them. Oh, and only a limited number of American programs are accredited, though nearly all Canadian programs are.

Hm, what else? I learned a lot about how well chromebooks can work considering the low price you pay for them (that is if you just need a computer just for surfing the web and sending emails).

I've been watching the BBC show "Call the Midwife" and learnt a lot about midwifery and public health in 1950s and 1960s England. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I could go over just how gay and trans the Old Wild West was, which Hollywood and media often depict as a time of being straight, cisgender, and white, but a random thing that I can't help but let fascinate me (other than the Wild West) is Wooly Bear Caterpillars. They're amazing! And cute! Did you know, that they can freeze themselves in colder months, and depending on what climate they live in, if they had to do it often enough they can live for years as a result?!

You can learn more about it in this video.

33 minutes ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

I could go over just how gay and trans the Old Wild West was, which Hollywood and media often depict as a time of being straight, cisgender, and white, but a random thing that I can't help but let fascinate me (other than the Wild West) is Wooly Bear Caterpillars. They're amazing! And cute! Did you know, that they can freeze themselves in colder months, and depending on what climate they live in, if they had to do it often enough they can live for years as a result?!

You can learn more about it in this video.

I just LOVE finding queer characters in movies and more recently, headcannoning some of them as aroace. I like talking about politics (but it’s getting boring and I hate that it’s all I can talk about, I hate being negative but I can’t not focus on issues that hurt us all), and I just ADORE gaming and drawing. I’m not amazing at either but that’s what time is for. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

I just LOVE finding queer characters in movies and more recently, headcannoning some of them as aroace. I like talking about politics (but it’s getting boring and I hate that it’s all I can talk about, I hate being negative but I can’t not focus on issues that hurt us all), and I just ADORE gaming and drawing. I’m not amazing at either but that’s what time is for. 

I do like talking politics but I get wanting to talk about other things too, I could go on and on about a hyperfixation right now if I wanted to torture someone, or the Wild West at this point as well lmao

1 minute ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

I do like talking politics but I get wanting to talk about other things too, I could go on and on about a hyperfixation right now if I wanted to torture someone, or the Wild West at this point as well lmao

Oh yeah, I just dove into all the many things about The Owl House, and politics, trans rights, Gravity Falls, the new Spider-Man movie, and so many more things. I mean I don’t know everything about it I just tend to go down a long rabbit hole about some things and just take in all the shorter video content I can, I mean I have limits on long vids. XD

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

Oh yeah, I just dove into all the many things about The Owl House, and politics, trans rights, Gravity Falls, the new Spider-Man movie, and so many more things. I mean I don’t know everything about it I just tend to go down a long rabbit hole about some things and just take in all the shorter video content I can, I mean I have limits on long vids. XD

It's why the only videos I can genuinely see myself making are video essay like shit, which I consume a lot of nowadays.

3 minutes ago, The Newest Fabled Creature said:

It's why the only videos I can genuinely see myself making are video essay like shit, which I consume a lot of nowadays.

I never had the attention span for that, it was >20 minutes or nothing. 

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 6:17 PM, Holmbo said:

I learned that diabetes type one is an autoimmune disease. It was very interesting to me that I manage not to know this before now.

I got type one last year! If you wanna find out more, Im ya girl

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, me_kachu said:

I got type one last year! If you wanna find out more, Im ya girl

I'm sorry to hear that but good that you've been learning about it. I've heard there are some studies to try to find treatments for it. Do you know of them and if so are you part of any?

12 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I'm sorry to hear that but good that you've been learning about it. I've heard there are some studies to try to find treatments for it. Do you know of them and if so are you part of any?

My team has asked if we can go on a residential to somewhere like scotland to help studies

12 hours ago, Holmbo said:

You dont have to be sad, Im still living life, just not as much, plus I can have sweets in class

• Like 1

Ive been through the tears, the joy, the anger, embarrassment but its part of me. And it makes who I am, and Im proud of that

• Like 1