Aromantic 'flirting'?

Arsenic

I don't know if I'm the only one who does this, but I love flirting as a joke. When I'm with someone who knows I'm aromantic and asexual, I enjoy flirting with them as a joke, because I know they won't think I'm serious. It just amuses me a lot. Anyone else do this?

• Like 4

Fellow aroace I like doing this with my close companions on occasion too- I think it’s funny. That being said, I don’t think it’s exclusive to us. I know quite a bit of fruity people who playfully flirt without romantic intent to their pals. 

• Like 3

im nto aromantic or asexual but ima comment

idk how to exactly flirt but well i did it few times most time cause it was fun and like teasing, yep i like teasing people and my friends a bit Xp

Allos are so weird. If I just try to be nice to an opposite gender person they accuse me of flirting. I guess you have to be stoic or positively rude for that not to happen.

I like the idea of aro flirting, but only as an insider joke between two aros. Don’t pull allos into it, even if you tell them it’s just a joke they think it’s pretending.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DeltaV said:

Allos are so weird. If I just try to be nice to an opposite gender person they accuse me of flirting. I guess you have to be stoic or positively rude for that not to happen.

I like the idea of aro flirting, but only as an insider joke between two aros. Don’t pull allos into it, even if you tell them it’s just a joke they think it’s pretending.

as an allo i dont think all allos are like that- if someone tell me its joke then its mean its joke if someone says its compliment  then its just compliment , i dont think its good idea too pull all allos together tbh but i understand ur view , have lovely day =]

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roboticanary said:

I like chatting to people and joking around, then afterwards I get told I was obviously flirting ???

Its news to me, I had no idea. 

Honestly I feel this as well. I get a lil' confused by most alloromantics definitions of flirting outside of cheesy one-liners. It's like pal, I'm just showin' basic human decency most of the time. 

• Like 2

I frequently joke flirt with a group of friends I have, calling each other pet names and such. It's pretty fun and amusing. As aroace_auncle said, it's not an exclusively aro thing as not all of them are arospec.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

It is fun! Flirting with my friends never gets old, we all know it’s a joke though. When I used to work in a shop people thought I was flirting a lot, but I was just being nice? I think flirting is a form of spreading some positivity, because you are basically just giving out extreme compliments. Making people feel good about themselves makes me feel better too :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love platonic/joke flirting so much. I'll be like "Omg I love you so much tee hee *buries 300 gold bars in your backyard and places a maker on your mini map*" and just more increasingly bizarre phrases like "Omg sotrue bestie im gonna go feral and hide in ur vents ^w^!" My friends find it funny and we generally say things like that to each other a lot lmao. Its such a bizarrely pleasant back-and-fourth with increasingly absurd ways to tell friends how much I love them lol

Its always said in the most genuine, wacky way possible

Edited by YokaiDisarray
  • Like 1

I adore flirting. It's all playful. I will flirt with most people as long as I'm fairly confident that there's an understanding that I'm not trying to actually go anywhere with this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lynx said:

I adore flirting. It's all playful. I will flirt with most people as long as I'm fairly confident that there's an understanding that I'm not trying to actually go anywhere with this.

Exactly! Me and my bff call each other increasingly corny pet names all the time because we both know we're not into each other like that. And it's much more fun to call someone the love of my life than it is to call them by their name 

Hm, for me, I like intellectual flirting with jokes, humor, and all the rest. I am not super into "traditional" flirting, and I don't like the possibility of it being read in a "romantic, dating" type of way.

i have two friends who both call me 'petnames' and i suppose i flirt with them? to be honest, i just do whatever im feeling in the moment, and do whatever makes me happiest because i know they both know that im arospec, and just enjoy their company in perhaps a traditionally 'romantic' way. i enjoy touching people, hugging, holding hands etc. but i've been put off it recently as i dont want to come off as 'interested romantically' in them, because apparently being comfortable means i want to date them? i dont understand the allo mind.

• Like 1

Oh I definitely do the same. I have a friend, and we call each other "sweethearts" and link arms sometimes. It's great, because she knows about me being aro and we both love the joke!

In almost every case I "flirted", it was clearly sarcastic or as part of a joke. I know how uncomfortable or offensive it can be to some people, so I'm quite careful. Though in the past I was a lot less tactful. For pet names these days, it's exclusive to pets.

If anyone flirts with me, they may have to go further because while I'm good at reading something between others, I'm a wee hopeless with understanding how somebody feels about me, unless it's in the spectrum of "hatred".