Aromantic Moments

1 minute ago, selina98 said:

I'm reading Romeo and Juliet in class right now so we're constantly talking about romantic love and the way we experience it and honestly it's like hell for me

That sounds awful. I remember when I studied it, and it was no fun ¬¬

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, selina98 said:

I'm reading Romeo and Juliet in class right now so we're constantly talking about romantic love and the way we experience it and honestly it's like hell for me

Aaaw I feel you :( Hang in there!

• Like 1

Conversation I once had with my mother:

M: *talks about some guy and that his girlfriend won't answer his texts and calls*

M: Just imagine your girlfriend, ah/or boyfriend would do that!"

M *looks at me, waiting for my response*

Me: *stands up, says something intelligent like "aah" and went back to my computer*

Props to her for considering I could like either boys or girls, though. Didn't expect that... (I think my brother got her with all the jokes he made about me being homosexual/romantic he made back then =3)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, DannyFenton123 said:

Also I find it annoying when I talk about shows I like and people immediately go to shipreason) There's not an inherent problem with that and I know a lot of people like to do that, but there's a lot more to stuff than who likes who :ph34r:

This is why for the longest time, I just stayed as far away from fandoms in general as i could...and my limited experience with fandoms so far has indeed borne out my fears that everything would, indeed, be about shipping, even if there's so much more cool stuff to focus on in the show/movie/book (*cough*cough*the Night Vale fandom and its unhealthy Cecilos obsession*cough*cough*). 

1 hour ago, Tal Shi'ar said:

Those moments when you're watching a DVD with certain people, and they'll let the romance/sex scenes play out, but fast forward the really cool battle scenes, and you're left sitting there disappointed.

That's...just...objectively the opposite of how you're supposed to watch movies... *scratches head at alloromantic people*

1 hour ago, Vega said:

Also, ugh, yeah. The whole "I know there's a giant monster about to destroy the city, but like I think we should talk about our feelings right now!" thing is a mess. 

*coughcoughcough*AGE OF ULTRON*coughcoughcough*

Anybody have some anti-amatoniormativity cough drops? 

(Sorry for the typos, my phone isn't playing well with the mobile site for some reason and I can't edit anything I've already typed more than a few words ago for some reason)

• Like 5

Guest ad-ARO-ble

The matrix though.

First half, fine. Like, you can see that there is a romantic subplot, but it doesn't seem important. 

Then, the oracle scene. I just wanted to watch a sci-fi film, and I end up with this? I was not happy, an otherwise fantastic film just fell back to above average, because somehow *love* saves the day. Cue eye roll.

^ Reminded me of another thing movies love to do. 

"Villain, you will never win because you lack the most important thing of all! Love!" 

Or really any movie where the bad guys are just evil because they can't fall in love, and the hero wins because of the love of some random woman. 

• Like 18
  • Angry 1

Guest ad-ARO-ble
1 minute ago, Vega said:

"Villain, you will never win because you lack the most important thing of all! Love!" 

This can be done well, like in Harry Potter or maybe Lion/Witch/Wardrobe, but yeah, usually it's just like, wtf is this? What? How does? Srsly?

Just now, ad-ARO-ble said:

This can be done well, like in Harry Potter or maybe Lion/Witch/Wardrobe, but yeah, usually it's just like, wtf is this? What? How does? Srsly?

Oh yeah, there's definitely exceptions to this. And of course the love isn't always necessarily romantic love. 
But it's still so awkwardly done in so many places. 

And of course, to aro people it can be kinda hurtful. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Equinox said:

This is the most annoying thing. It's okay to enjoy a series or character just because, isn't it?

I get that a lot when I talk about my favorite composer. I actually know the guy personally, and he's one of the nicest people I've ever met, not to mention a fantastic educator, not to mention a fantastic composer! His music helped me fall in love with the marimba, which led to me dedicating my life to music, so he's had a huge impact on my life. When I see him at percussion conventions, he actually tends to talk me up to musicians who I have no business being talked up to, and has even gone so far as to call me "the perfect student." He's even thanked me for all my work learning and performing so much of his music. If anything, I should be thinking him, and I made sure to tell him that!

One of my first teachers claimed that he started my "love affair" with my favorite composer by introducing me to his works, (right in front of the composer no less,) and someone I went to high school with once messaged me out of the blue saying "your boyfriend is doing a masterclass at my university, should I say hi?" I don't react when people say stuff like that because I don't want to risk them taking that as an invitation to tease, but man, when I talk about how beautiful one of my favorite musicians (who happens to be a deaf woman) is, nobody bats an eye, but if I say that I admire my favorite composer's performance philosophies, they think it must be some weird romantic obsession. >> 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Deitsuck said:

This one time in class when we were given pieces of paper and told to write down traits of our ideal girl/boyfriend. Needless to say I left it blank.

I remember in primary school, in one of our classes, We had to write someones name that we adored or something on a little love heart thing for Valentines Day. I asked the teacher that what if there wasn't actually anyone we could write, and they said that's impossible. Needless to say I struggle for quite a while before just writing the first random name that came to mind.

• Like 8
  • Angry 2

27 minutes ago, Tal Shi'ar said:

I remember in primary school, in one of our classes, We had to write someones name that we adored or something on a little love heart thing for Valentines Day. I asked the teacher that what if there wasn't actually anyone we could write, and they said that's impossible. Needless to say I struggle for quite a while before just writing the first random name that came to mind.

Foreign Language classes. There's always a unit every class that's about romance and relationships and your ideal date or whatever, and you have to just make up everything because you need to show you know the vocab.

• Like 5
  • Angry 2

24 minutes ago, hippiesthop said:

Foreign Language classes. There's always a unit every class that's about romance and relationships and your ideal date or whatever, and you have to just make up everything because you need to show you know the vocab.

So true.  I always dread those chapters.  And I'm not good at making things up on the spot due to social anxiety, so I usually just sit there awkwardly and try to contribute as little as possible, hoping no one notices.  :ph34r:

• Like 7

Whenever someone asks "So... who do you like?" I panic a little. In middle school, after I learned that it was unacceptable to not have a crush on someone, I just chose people at random. Now, when I'm in the process of accepting my aromanticism and trying to be honest with myself, when I hear that question my head automatically goes to the 'gotta think of someone it would be alright for me to pretend to have a crush on' thought line, but I also would like to be honest. I lie too much in general, but for aro stuff it's hard not to, if it's not with my friends.

• Like 4

I've never been able to stand cheesy romance movies or even cheesy romantic subplots in stuff, and I hate when people ruin perfectly good movies by shoehorning love triangles into them. I've known the 'too aro for this shit' feel before I knew I was aro

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Vega said:

^ Reminded me of another thing movies love to do. 

Or really any movie where the bad guys are just evil because they can't fall in love, and the hero wins because of the love of some random woman. 

Those annoy me soooo much, especially since they don't even have to make it romantic, they could have made it for their love of ice cream or their friends or something else, but they just wrote it as a romantic interest and its so lazy.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, tea-cup-full-of-spiders said:

My QPR partner and I are constantly being confused as being in a romantic relationship. People will ask us about it, and when we explain it to them, they refuse to except that our relationship is anything but friendship...

Argh, same. What's really annoying in my case is that a lot of people thought that that meant we're a lesbian couple...when neither of us are female...or allosexual...or alloromantic. It's impossible for that misconception to be any more wrong.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Dodecahedron314 said:

Argh, same. What's really annoying in my case is that a lot of people thought that that meant we're a lesbian couple...when neither of us are female...or allosexual...or alloromantic. It's impossible for that misconception to be any more wrong.

Someone thought me and my best friend were a gay couple… 

• Like 3

Just now, DannyFenton123 said:

A movie like the Hunger Games or Divergent is impossible for me to watch. I mean, there's so much exciting stuff going on but you're going to take this moment to KISS? >.>

When I read Divergent, and there was an intimacy/making out scene, I think I might have gagged a little. I didn't understand why they were doing it either >.<

The worst thing was Mockingjay Part One, where the entire movie she's fawning over Peeta. That was horrible to sit through, and it barely felt like a movie.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Spud said:

When I read Divergent, and there was an intimacy/making out scene, I think I might have gagged a little. I didn't understand why they were doing it either >.<

The worst thing was Mockingjay Part One, where the entire movie she's fawning over Peeta. That was horrible to sit through, and it barely felt like a movie.

Mockingjay Part One should be renamed to 'The Many Ways to Emotionally Scream 'PEETA!!!' xD

• Like 7
  • Haha 3