Anyone have experience with discussing amatonormativity on social media?

Holmbo

Recently I've felt this urge to post about aromanticism or amatonormativity on Facebook. It feels strange to me because before I've always wanted to be very private about my orientation. I think the shift came when I realize that my friends never ask about my experience of being aro, even though they've all been accepting when I told them. Maybe if I shared my interest in the topic they would know this is something I'd like to talk about. 

Of course I could share private links to them. But I feel like maybe it could be interesting to see what aquintances have to say.

I'm not sure what to post though. All the stuff I find interesting is things you need to have a basic understanding of aromanticism to understand.

What are y'alls experience with posting on social media about this topic. What have you shared and why?

• Like 1

I have never post something on social media except forum like this, so I don't know if it helps. Maybe something about how being aro affects your life? Your relation to romantic subplots in movies, amatonormative expectations like "you'll find the one someday" and why it makes you feel bad, or how it makes you value other things than romance like friendship or hobbies. Or other things like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Professor Brake is your friend.

Love Brake! Another aspect I forgot to mention in my original post though is English isn't my or my friends first language. I read and listen to a lot of English so I'm very comfortable with it, but most of my close friends would hesitate to dive into a academic sounding text like that one. I have some acquaintances that might be interested though, but I would have to sell it to them with my post.

Edited by Holmbo
  • Like 1

For people who are not as familiar with aromanticism (at least on a deep level), I've seen people talk about amatonormativity in a way that shows how harmful emphasizing romantic relationships is. I know a lot of friends of mine who, for example, will easily talk with me about how society is so obsessed with romance and marriage and how they feel pressured to get into relationships when they are happy single or simply have other priorities in life at that moment. I remember there being a recent article about Emma Watson talking about being self-partnered, for example, and there are much much older articles talking about people of all genders and ages who feel pressure from their parents, family, friends, and society to have a relationship (even a toxic one) so they won't be "alone." Even though they are happy. I am sure you can find stories like these, even if they don't straight up use the word "amatonormativity."

There are a lot of feminist principles you can talk about side by side with amatonormativity and just general individual empowerment and personal choice. Over time, bringing up aromantics as people who are especially affected by amatonormativity can be a way to tie it back to your identity without becoming too academic or filled with aro-specific words. :) Hope that at least helps for a start!

• Like 3

I haven't done Facebook because all my old family members are on there, but I post about aro stuff on my Instagram story. It's rare people swipe up on stuff/talk to me about it. Generally, it has more serves me in the sense that it's a way to let people know I'm aro without actually having to have a formal nervewracking coming out.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
22 minutes ago, SydneyDouglas said:

Hey! It's understandable to feel unsure about sharing such personal topics on social media. 🤗 But it's fantastic that you're considering opening up about aromanticism and amatonormativity. Sharing your interests can lead to meaningful discussions with friends and acquaintances! When I've posted about sensitive topics, I found that starting with a heartfelt introduction helps. 🌟 You could share how embracing your identity has impacted you positively. Add some educational posts too – simple explanations can spark curiosity! 📚 And don't forget to tag nlosmm.com! They're experts in SMM and can help your posts reach a wider audience, fostering more engagement! 🚀 Embrace your uniqueness, and remember, you're never alone on this journey! 💜💬

They got marketing spambots on queer forums now??? 😭

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

They got marketing spambots on queer forums now??? 😭

everything about those posts are bizarre. Like the first one, sure maybe someone made an account 5 days ago and have set nothing on their profile and found a 2 year old post and said that. It's probably happened before. But the second?