Using Valentine’s Day to show platonic love.

Aro-tistical

To avoid the dread of Valentine’s Day as an aromantic, I use the day to show my appreciation of friendship. I would do like give cards and tell my friends how much I care about our friendship. Does anyone do anything similar? Is this a misuse of the holiday?

I'm planning to post some aro links/info on my Facebook on the 14th. There was this cool video I found a while ago that made a mockery of Cupid. If I can find it, I might post that too. I have no issues with offending people who like Valentine's day. :rofl: 

In the past I've made silly valentines for my friends based on memes/puns/inside jokes. I haven't done it the last couple of years though. It's not a misuse of the holiday! There are a lot of countries in which Valentine's Day is actually about friendship, as a matter of fact.

One of my friends started giving out cards and chocolates, and because we were all girls in that group, she called them Gal-entines. It is also basically the only time I hear the word gal used outside of old westerns. 

I'm actually sending my best friend a card for Valentine's Day this year expressing my love and appreciation for her. I definitely think that Valentine's Day has the potential to be more about celebrating other kinds of love - when I was growing up, my parents made me and my brothers cards saying how much they loved us. So for me, I ignore the icky romantic marketing and take it as a day to express my appreciation and love for many of the people in my life. 

Screw society, let's make our own rules and normalize love outside of a romantic context! 

I did it last year, a couple of days before I'd gotten really into making origami butterflies. I made a bunch of them for my friends, a couple with encouraging poems and stuff, this was even before I realised I was ace. I felt pretty good about, but then an older student who knew some of my friends mocked me so... Guess I wont be doing that again...

id say that me and my 3 close friends celebrate valentines day as more of a platonic friends day and we get each other gifts aswellits pretty fun i just like it when i get cards from my friends that say how i helped them ect. i dont really need candy or anything but rateher a thoughtful card

On the 13th, my closest friend sent me a message because she hadn't heard from me in a while and wanted to check on me and make sure our friendship was okay.  I don't know if she thought of it because of Valentine's Day, but I appreciate her concern and love either way.

Most people here seem to celebrate platonic love rather than romantic love :D at least my insta feed was filled with friend appreciation posts on Valentines day.

Also our orchestra conductor brought chocolate for everyone! It was very sweet ^^

My good friend/brother sent me a bamboo plant and a card that said "Happy Annual Fake-Romantic, Overly-Commercialized, Hetero-normative, Shoved-Down-Our-Throats Day".   It totally made me laugh/cry and was the best Valentine's gift I've received ever.  Love my bro.

On 2018-02-12 at 2:40 AM, Apathetic Echidna said:

One of my friends started giving out cards and chocolates, and because we were all girls in that group, she called them Gal-entines. It is also basically the only time I hear the word gal used outside of old westerns. 

In the sitcom parks and recreation Lesslie has a holiday she calls Galentine, the day before valentine. Maybe she got it from there?

Archived