What is your definition of a QPR/squish?

These are my personal definitions, can't speak for everyone:

QPR: a committed but not necessarily exclusive platonic relationship

Squish: a "friendship crush," not necessarily desiring a QPR

I've had what I guess are minor squishes before but never really have wanted a QPR. Perhaps in the future, but it's not really relevant to my experiences at the moment. For me, a squish says "I would really like to get to know you and be your friend" not necessarily "I want a QPR with you." I also differentiate between that and platonic love; I feel platonic love for my friends that I'm very close to, but I don't squishes on them because we're already friends.

On 08/02/2018 at 4:34 AM, Galactic Turtle said:

What is your definition of a squish?

Never had one so I go off other peoples explanations, so I guess a type of crush that is non-sexual/non-romantic. 

On 08/02/2018 at 4:34 AM, Galactic Turtle said:

What is your definition of a QPR?

I don't claim to have the best definition so my definition is always open for other people's experiences to fit. I (so far) think about a QPR being a particularly dedicated partnership that may be between two or more people, which may or may not include sexual content, which may or may not be started with a squish, but is always built on a connection of non-romantic love and mutual consideration. 

• 2 weeks later...

A QPR, to me, would be a monogamous relationship with someone I'm happy to do some certain things with that are usually only done in romantic relationships. These things include probably living together, chipping into finances and saving for a house, sex (Since I'm sexual), but also perhaps testing the waters on what romantic actions I'm happy to do, such as trying out hand holding and kissing.

But like everyone else said, the nature of a QPR is entirely dependant on what the people in the QPR want. 

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:36 AM, techno-trashcan said:

These are my personal definitions, can't speak for everyone:

QPR: a committed but not necessarily exclusive platonic relationship

Squish: a "friendship crush," not necessarily desiring a QPR

I've had what I guess are minor squishes before but never really have wanted a QPR. Perhaps in the future, but it's not really relevant to my experiences at the moment. For me, a squish says "I would really like to get to know you and be your friend" not necessarily "I want a QPR with you." I also differentiate between that and platonic love; I feel platonic love for my friends that I'm very close to, but I don't squishes on them because we're already friends.

yoooo I was gonna add my own definitions before I saw this, but this is pretty much exactly how I feel? There are more detailed explanations you can give of both terms but honestly sometimes simple descriptions are best and this is really well put.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been in or desired a QPR myself but I always thought of it as a sort of unscripted mutual committed relationship between people, where the people involved are platonically attracted to each other. There are certain behaviours I associate with platonic relationships and certain behaviours I associate with romantic and sexual relationships. QPRs, to me, may take some cues from all or some of those behaviours, making them impossible to put neatly in any one of those relationship boxes. This way, a QPR can be defined differently between different people.

As for squishes, for me they're a particularly strong desire to befriend someone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/24/2018 at 9:06 PM, Digestive Biscuits said:

A QPR, to me, would be a monogamous relationship with someone I'm happy to do some certain things with that are usually only done in romantic relationships. These things include probably living together, chipping into finances and saving for a house,

I'm kind of the opposite since I find all of these romantic (like) and repulsive.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:06 PM, Digestive Biscuits said:

sex (Since I'm sexual), but also perhaps testing the waters on what romantic actions I'm happy to do, such as trying out hand holding and kissing.

I see these as frustratingly romantically coded. When I'd really like to be able to do them a lot more without those barriers.

To me, a QPR is a committed monogamous relationship to which no specific "rules" are tied. It can include living together, sharing your life, being affectionate towards each other (like sensual acts such as holding hands, kissing, cuddling), whether there's sex or not.

The squish to me is the desire to have such a relationship with someone, as it is based on feelings which are different from normal friendship, yet not romantic in nature. 

On 2/10/2018 at 2:14 PM, Apathetic Echidna said:

I don't claim to have the best definition so my definition is always open for other people's experiences to fit. I (so far) think about a QPR being a particularly dedicated partnership that may be between two or more people, which may or may not include sexual content, which may or may not be started with a squish, but is always built on a connection of non-romantic love and mutual consideration. 

That's a great definition !

• 2 months later...

Well, I kind of define QPR as a platonic relationship with someone who is special and close to you, kind of like a romantic one without romance in it. Well, that’s from my experiences anyway, the definitions are very different depending on who you ask. A squish to me is someone who you have the desire to meet and become good friends with. Even then, that definition changes too! 

• 2 weeks later...

QPR - A committed lifelong platonic relationship with one or more people. I.e. a life partnership.    May or may not be sexual.  If I ever entered a QPR, it would be non-sexual (I'm ace), and most likely exclusive.   I think of it as, a best friend you want to spend your life with (platonically), and share your finances with  (i.e. sharing rent and bills).   (I have a friend that I've discussed with about entering a QPR with but we've decided to hold off for now)

Squish - a platonic infatuation with another person.  A strong desire to be close, special, and important to them.  An intense desire to get to know them.   Without any sexual or romantic feelings.  Not just wanting to be someone's friend, but wanting to be someone's *best* friend and a close confidant.   (Yes, I've experienced this a couple times, and for one of them, I did build a close relationship with, and we are still best friends to this day)  I only feel squishes towards people I don't know that well yet. Generally I feel this way towards people that I think have an admirable quality.   I don't feel squishes for friends I already have and  got to know gradually (that doesn't mean I love them any less)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived